Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Riding through the Chernobyl ''Dead Zone'' (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/2358-riding-through-chernobyl-dead-zone.html)

naco_traficante 03-29-2004 06:32 AM

Re: Riding through the Chernobyl ''Dead Zone''

And we talk about ghost towns in America ? We have nothing to compare to this. The photos and commentary force you to stop whatever you are doing ... and just think ... about these people who have disappeared like smoke.

TatdNPrcd 03-29-2004 06:42 AM

This was and incredible journey for me this morning. Her photography was better than her story and her story was absolutely amazing! Thanks, dante, for thinking we might be interested. You were right!

RonXX 03-29-2004 06:52 AM

Very good indeed. It just goes to show how risky designs can pay off until the idiot factor comes into play. The Russians use a fundamentally unstable reactor design, and this is what can happen when an operator doesn't know what they are doing. Pretty serious stuff, and it makes you wonder what is happening with the dozens of nuclear reactors the Russian Navy can no longer afford to upkeep in their northern bases.

SparkyBlue 03-29-2004 07:10 AM

Spooky ! 300-400K people dead? And she rides a classic speed king. Long live the King.

sarnali 03-29-2004 07:21 AM

I saw this on TriumphRat net., What a trip to wander through some of those house's and buildings, It'd be like the Twilight zone or something.

Maybe one of these days the Russian people will get a break, so far all they've gotten is kicked from piller to post for the last 300 years.

TatdNPrcd 03-29-2004 08:38 AM

I'll pay for her first year.

Great idea Nplateau. But rather than a free membership from MO how about a gift from us MOrons to her.

So contact me MO and we can work out the details for her first years subscription. Anybody willing to cover her second year?

johnnyb 03-29-2004 09:02 AM

yeah, cool story. Really interesting. Can we take down the CHP home page now? Now that there's no message board at motorcyclistonline.com, I am hurting for at work entertainment. How bout that Valentino Rossi eh? Heh heh heh... fuggin Honda.

longride 03-29-2004 09:17 AM

Best article I have read in a while. kind of like walking the earth after a nuke war and checking out the leftovers. Almost as good as hitting the Alaska trail.

PsychoBueller 03-29-2004 09:42 AM

Wow. that really stopped me in my tracks. I cannot even imagine the scale of isolation one must feel walking through Chernobyl. What a poignant article. Seriously, someone should contact Elena and get her to do some moto-journalism from Russia.