Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Arizona to allow 80 mph on highways? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/2351-arizona-allow-80-mph-highways.html)

grubz916 03-18-2004 03:39 AM

Re: Arizona to allow 80 mph on highways?

Wow, this is creepy since it makes sooo much sense. I hope other states follow teh path of enlightenment soon...

Mooner 03-18-2004 04:11 AM

Interesting that they interviewed a 56 year old and an 81 year old, especially the latter. There is a large population of retirees in Arizona that probably shouldn't be driving at all, let alone at 80. Hopefully they learn to stay off the interstates.

SRMark 03-18-2004 04:49 AM

Being a geezer, I can remember driving on I-70 in Maryland when the speed limit was 70mph. That was in the early '70s. I drove my dad's '69 Plymouth station wagon with bias ply tires 70mph with no troubles what so ever. My sport tourer is lighter, has better brakes and better acceleration. I have better driving skills and my testosterone levels are approaching that of a woman. There are also a lot more drivers on that road now and my physical skills are beginning to fade. Deer herds are on the increase. But the 70mph I drove then and the 70mph I drive and ride now are under vastly different conditions with 30 years separating those motor vehicle and highway design technologies. To me, gaining 10 mph in 30 years seems to be a modest rate of progress and should be embraced by the mobile public. If not, what has all this highway and motor vehicle safety funding been spent on?

seruzawa 03-18-2004 05:19 AM

80mph?

How are they going to get the Arizonans to drive that slowly?

nbyers 03-18-2004 06:06 AM

SRM--

That's such a logical train of thought that there's no way it will be embraced by the people who make the rules we drive under.

You're more likely to get hurt falling down the stairs or on your bicycle than in a vehicular accident, but we don't have seatbelts or airbags on our stairs. There isn't an Insurance Institute for Stair Safety. There isn't a movement to eliminate multi-story buildings.

In so many ways we worry about the wrong stuff.....

Anyhow, your post is cogent. Cars and bikes are waaaay safer than they were even 15 years ago. Why not raise the speed limit to the speed we're all driving anyway?

MaxAlien 03-18-2004 06:27 AM

I agree, it's an interesting choice of interviewees. Still, this change is probably going to be mostly academic to them. Most geezers here, I've noticed, stick to their 65mph, tops.

I've been living in Arizona since 1993, and there seem to be 3 distinct groups out on the interstates. There's the 55-65mph group, the speed-limiters (75mph), and the 85mph+ group. While I'm for this change, I don't think it's going to have a large impact. We're only talking about 5mph, after all.

BMW4VWW 03-18-2004 06:37 AM

Everybody seems to have missed the fact that officers can't pull over cage drivers for not wearing a seatbelt. While I wear mine when driving I don't support any extra excuses for officer friendly to pull people over and look up their as*es with a microscope. VWW

captainwhoopass 03-18-2004 06:41 AM

The ninnies who think 80mph on interstate 10 is dangerous should come to California and try driving on the 405 for a week or so. Heavy traffic here moves routinely at those speeds and I see high speed accidents far less frequently than I used to back in Chicago where the speed limits are 55mph, with about 50% less traffic.

johnnyb 03-18-2004 07:16 AM

i have no problem with them as long as they stay in the left lane with the blinker on and wearing a hat

jtred6r 03-18-2004 07:47 AM

Wow got a laugh when I read statement from DPS spokesmen. In reference to "legal racing speeds" Looks like Steve needs to spend a little more time watching the Speed TV!