Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-18-2004, 04:42 PM   #21
Chango
Founding Member

Default Re: Arizona to allow 80 mph on highways?

Really, if they're worried about people speeding excessively, they could just raise the limit to 80, and then raise the fines for speeding. Then people could still go 80, but people who abuse the new limit would pay out the bootyhole. Of course, if it was really about safety and not revenue, then they would lower the speed limits and raise the associated fines so the speeders would pay out the bootyhole. Hey, look at that! I just used the word bootyhole twice (now 3 times) in one post. And I didn't even mention everyone's favorite political flame troller...

"Remember: It's always easier to do things the hard way" Chango

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2004, 04:58 PM   #22
TuneREX
Founding Member

Why not 90mph?

TuneREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 06:33 PM   #23
pittsguy
Founding Member

I used to line in Arizona and 80 mph is probably the lower end of the speed on I-10 between Phoenix and Tucson.

I had the pleasure of driving the 405 between LA and San Diego. 80 mph is like a rock in a stream!
pittsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 09:11 AM   #24
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: Great post

Thank you.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 10:45 AM   #25
boru4761
Registered Member

Actually, they dont do it in the rain for safety reasons. Too many people getting rear-ended after spotting the police car and jamming on their brakes.
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 10:51 AM   #26
rsheidler
Founding Member

Right -- pre "gas crisis" national speed limits, western states like Oregon had 75mph limits on many rural freeways and Nevada and Montana had no specific limits (Montana for daylight hours only). Christ, I remember being stopped in Oregon in 1968, driving 95 in a 75 zone in a 1952 Studebaker truck with recap tires and skimpy drum brakes -- the patrolman stopped me not for speeding but to tell me that my radiator was boiling over -- and even though I was a scruffy long-haired, bearded 18-year-old, he didn't even scold me for speeding, let alone giving me a speeding ticket, and waited with me for the radiator to cool down enough to add water.

When I think about the relative safety of that pickup, or for that matter, most of the cars on the road in that era, compared to current cars with radial tires, 4wheel disk brakes with ABS, 3-point seat belts and air bags etc etc, the idea that even 80 mph is now unsafe seems pretty silly!
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:02 AM   #27
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: 80mph?

Might be onto something with the out of state tags observation! A couple of years ago I was living in Tucson and regularly commuting back and forth to Utah. The entire stretch of I-10, but paticularly between Tucson and Phoenix was nearly all moving at well over 80 (except for a few presumably illegals worried about being picked up and deported). Still, I got nailed for 9 over just south of Phoenix! So, either I was just unlucky to pass a highway patrol officer who just happened to be suffering from PMS that day, or it had something to do with my Utah tags. Oh yeah, I also got a ticket for no insurance because the card I had was a few days past expiration date (the new one was sent to my Utah address) and the officer would not let me call my agent to confirm that I did, in fact, have insurance in force.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 01:54 PM   #28
Viffer-dude
Founding Member

I love that first paragraph! In any self-respecting rag that would be labeled "Editorial".

I'm goin' to Arizona to show my support!
Viffer-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 05:14 PM   #29
Haird
Founding Member

... to be born again as a star-child, make that Roadstar child, offending the sensibilities of the cookiecutteur, astride, spinnaker-like the throbbing dairyland V, fractionally cognizent of the co-efficient of friction parabolically limiting forward progress, 79.6, 79.77, 78.79, 79.799, chap fringe aflutter, beanie topside, real manly men spurning the urge to speed across the great Western desert, way high on the highway, man what a way to go ...
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 08:19 AM   #30
Timefuzer
Founding Member

Said Marian Skindelien, 81, of Apache Junction, "Seventy-five is tops. The limit should stay the way it is."

Skindelien has lived in Arizona since 1969 and says there has been an increase in reckless driving, regardless of the posted limit.

This quote from the story is classic! It is intuitively obvious to the most casual observer (Skindelien not one of us) that speed limits have nothing to do with wreckless driving. So remove all speed limits since they have no correlation to wreckless driving.

Actually we must have speed limit laws to generate revenue. My good friend is a county commissioner here in Utah. He approved the hiring of a new Sheriff's Deputy when he saw the revenue numbers. One Deputy generates almost $300,000 a year on I-15 thru our fair county.
Timefuzer is offline   Reply With Quote