Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-16-2004, 09:27 AM   #21
Eric
Founding Member

Default Re: OK I'll do it. I'll bring it up again

Check that earlier comment about jurisdiction. It makes perfect sense why the MN USAO is invovled -- the wrongful death suit was filed in MN, which is where Randy Scott, the motorcyclist Janklow killed, is from.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2004, 09:37 AM   #22
joeb1113
Founding Member

Sorry - this is wrong. US Attorneys are political appointments, and very highly sought-after ones at that. Heffelfinger was appointed by Bush after his predecessor resigned in 2001: http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/nominations/558.html.

USA's are appointed by the President with the advice and consent of the Senate, just like any other inferior officers of the federal government - which, by the way, means he can also be removed by the president. That makes the White House the place to contact if, like me, you think Heffelfinger should lose his job over this.

They're really not that much unlike ambassadorships in that sense, except that aside from being very well-connected politically you also need to be a very sharp lawyer. I have no doubt that Tom Heffelfinger is a decent guy, and also a very sharp lawyer, but the fact remains that he has been very active for decades in Republican politics. (Go to www.opensecrets.org and look up his history of contributions to Republican candidates for yourself. BTW, I already checked, at least he did not give to Janklow's campaign.)

I am not saying that makes him corrupt, but I am saying that makes him the wrong guy to be making a decision like this that stands to be worth several million dollars to a former Republican congressman.

(And no, the fact they're both Republicans isn't my point - although I do think it matters that Republicans never waited even a second to subpoena everyone in the county anytime someone in the Clinton administration did anything that stinks the way this does.)
joeb1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 10:38 AM   #23
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: janklow 'on-duty' ?

I'll pursue things more agressively once I get back from London and survive the Buzglyd 40th birthday bash blowout.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 10:40 AM   #24
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Luke...

With all those MV Agusta dealers en route it's a perfect bike for a road trip!

Let's get crackin' on that Tuono Seruzawa. We can do our own shootout.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:43 AM   #25
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: COMMIE!

I decided on a painless boycott myself. I refuse to eat Brussels Sprouts.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:27 AM   #26
Eric
Founding Member

You are correct. My main point to KPaul was that the people of SD had nothing to do with this particular US Attorney, but I was incorrect on the specifics. There are lower positions within each USAO that are in fact for hire. The lead official is a political appointment.

By the way Kpaul -- that is how you admit you were wrong.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 11:38 AM   #27
jkgooch
Founding Member

KPaul, why do you hate America so much?
jkgooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 11:40 AM   #28
jkgooch
Founding Member

Default Re: COMMIE!

GET YOURSELF TO SPAIN!!

..where they know the difference between the war on terra and the war in Iraq and are willing to punish liars and cheats by "throwing da bums out..."
jkgooch is offline   Reply With Quote