Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-08-2004, 04:00 AM   #1
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: 4 Bikers wiped out around Daytona

"A liablilty of the aluminum frame?"

Whaaaa? Are you saying that a steel framed bike would have survived such an impact? I seriously doubt it.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2004, 04:02 AM   #2
SRMark
Founding Member

I'm guessing the R1 had its forks snapped off. I hope the frame didn't break. Common theme of cars pulling out in front. Small size and rapid closing rates are something car drivers just aren't used to. Me either when I'm in a car. I feel sorry for the families for their losses and for the drivers who must now deal with the sights and sounds of those impacts for the rest of their lives. The deceased have my prayers.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 04:20 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

No. I'm just speculating that aluminum, being less malleable than steel, could fracture under extreme conditions. Aluminum engine cases tend to crack rather than bend. Ever tried to straighten aluminum clutch/brake levers? It's moot since either way the bike is toast.

I wonder how fast he was going. Or if alcohol is a factor.

One doesn't expect a news article to be accurate anyhow.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:38 AM   #4
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Was the novelty helmet the deciding clue that the guy who hit the tree was on a Harley? VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 06:41 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Lessee. Daytona : novelty helmet : single bike crash. My crystal ball sez: Harley. It also sez: alcohol.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:55 AM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

It says he missed a curve in the article. How did he find a curve to miss down there? maybe he saw a curve and veered off the road. Anyway, whacking a tree is BAD!
Old 03-08-2004, 07:05 AM   #7
ebass
Founding Member

Default OK, let's stir up a helmet law debate...

...it's Monday morning, I'm cranky, I wanna see some fur fly. So lets have at it, shall we?!

What do you MOrons think it means when out of 4 dead riders, you have 1 wearing a novelty helmet, 2 wearing full faces, and one poor dude who apparently was messed up so bad they couldn't even bring themselves to describe him. ? Oh, and no dead helmetless riders.

Could it be the same phenomenon that has led to statistics showing that cars with ABS and airbags have NOT led to a decrease in fatalities? That is to say that when people feel safer they drive more dangerously and basically neutralize the safety gains. I know that I personally ride far more aggressively when fully geared up in power ranger regalia than when tooling around in a "no helmet law" state.

What does all this mean for the relative merits of helmet laws? What color do you think Martha Stewart is going to paint her jail cell? And why am I paying $2.50 for premium gas these days?

I want answers damn it!!!
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 07:26 AM   #8
Joseph_Betor
Founding Member

Default Re: OK, let's stir up a helmet law debate...

Read it more closely. The two Yamaha guys were in Marion County and not included in the four deaths in Volusia County.
Joseph_Betor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 07:56 AM   #9
RonXX
Founding Member

Default Re: OK, let's stir up a helmet law debate...

Holy sh!t, if premium is that much, what does regular cost? I'm moving out to San Diego this summer, so I would love to know how much the cost of living is going to screw me. The future wife has a diesel VW Jetta; how much does diesel cost out there?

I wonder what these car drivers get for causing a fatal accident. Certainly in these cases excessive speeds were surely involved on the part of the motorcycles, but if they had been going the speed limit what would be the result then? Would the drivers just walk away with an apology. I know they didn't necessarily behave recklessly like Jankoff, but they would still be responsible for causing a fatal accident. Any thoughts?
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote