Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-08-2004, 09:06 PM   #41
wheat
Founding Member

Default Re: 4 Bikers wiped out around Daytona

Well, how many car occupants died over the same period as these crashes?
wheat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2004, 10:14 PM   #42
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: You think you're cranky? Comparo?

>the GSXR1000 rider went another

>block up and pulled into a

>restaraunt. I'm guessing it was

>either Sean or Boehm.

Just check the preload.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 10:34 PM   #43
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: OK, let's stir up a helmet law debate...

>Helmet wearer has the misguided

>notion that just because he places

>a piece of plastic on his head

>that 2 truths occur:

>1. He's never gonna die in a bike

>crash.

I do not assume I will never die in a bike crash. I assume my chances of dying or being rendered vegetative are substantially reduced.

>2. He's somehow "smarter" than the

>non-helmeted guy.

Well, yes. See answer #1.

>Helmets are fine protective gear,

>but they will not make the above

>true.

They will make #1 more likely, thus making #2 true.

>Surviving on a motorcycle takes

>skill, brains, restraint, and

>experience.

And protective gear.

>Helmets can help with heads

>hitting pavement, but the point is

>to not hit the pavement at all.

Excellent strategy. I haven't hit the pavement in 20 years of riding (every second of it helmeted). But I'll keep assuming there's a Volvo out there with my name on it, and that not every dead biker was an incompetent biker.

>I'm afraid most people are just as

>unskilled, stupid, reckless, and

>inexperienced as they were before.

>That means they are probably gonna

>bite it, helmet or not.

All things being equal, the unskilled, stupid, reckless, and inexperienced helmeted head stands a far less chance of death or vegetation than the unskilled, stupid, reckless, and inexperienced un-helmeted head. You can test this theory at home - put on a helmet, and have your buddy drop a cinderblock on your head from a height of five feet. Remove helmet and repeat. Note results.

That said, I oppose helmet laws. They interfere with natural selection.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 04:18 AM   #44
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: You think you're cranky? Comparo?

I'll get to see 80 sometime in May. Enjoy it for the rest of of us. For now, I'll just look at the snow and think warm thoughts.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 06:58 AM   #45
kowalke67
Founding Member

At least in my opinion, the issue is no more complicated than this on the value of wearing and argument for wearing full-face helmets.</p>

1. I don't care what comparison/example/real life experience you can quote, the bottom line is driving a motorcycle is significantly more dangerous than driving a car or an SUV.</p>

2. Considering the grand scope of motorcycle accidents and our inability to control which kind we will have, no reasonable argument can be made negating you are exponentially better protected and have a substantially better chance of exiting a crash with less harmful injuries- or surviving as opposed to dying- if you are wearing a full-face helmet (add more –tially’s if you are wearing crash worthy motorcycling jackets, pant’s, boots, and gloves).</p>

All the arguments stating not wearing a helmet is safer like "I can see better", "I can hear better", "I feel less safe so I drive safer", "IÂ’m so pretty car drivers notice me", etc. are straight-up bee ess. You are safer and you know you are safer for wearing one so donÂ’t argue otherwise. If you donÂ’t wear a helmet because itÂ’s hot, uncomfortable, requires you to turn your head slightly for extended peripheral vision, decreases hearing, etc. then just say that but donÂ’t try to argue youÂ’re safer because of it.</p>
Old 03-09-2004, 08:11 AM   #46
Stonedog
Founding Member

Atlanta drivers suck @$$. Five bucks says it was an SUV that pulled into the HOV lane....
Old 03-09-2004, 06:11 PM   #47
BigDaddySuperFreak
Founding Member

Default Re: Brain bucket

I've crashed on the highway at 70mph before when a car ran me into the center stone dividing wall. I then proceeded to fly off of the bike, hitting my head on the stone barrier, and rolling for ~200ft. I ended up with only a few fractured ribs because I was in full gear. Had I not been wearing a helmet, I have no dought I would have been dead, considering it cracked in half. So screw squids with more power than sense!
BigDaddySuperFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 09:30 AM   #48
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: OK, let's stir up a helmet law debate...

That is some of the most perfectly constructed reasoning I've ever happend upon.

I write for a living and I don't think I could put it anymore beautifully than that. So, I won't try.

Bravo.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote