Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-11-2004, 07:24 AM   #21
terryseaver
Founding Member

Default Re: Help -- good bike for bad back?

I have a bad back and neck as well. I had hoped the claimed 'relaxed' seating of the SV650/SV1000 would work for me, but 5 minutes on one had me down for several weeks. The same for a VFR with higher bars. I finally found a dealer who would let me test ride a Honda 919, and had no problems. I have had the bike for over a year now with no back problems, even after 7 hours on the bike in one day. I highly recommend the 919.

-Terry Seaver

terryseaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2004, 07:27 AM   #22
wrecks
Founding Member

Default Blackbird

CBR1100XX, pick up a cheap used one.
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:34 AM   #23
jaycar
Founding Member

I've been struggling with a bad back for a couple of years, and had several bikes in the meantime, so here are my thoughts. Take them for their $.02:

1) Get a quality seat. Stay away from Corbin, Call Rich's in Seattle. He's pricey, but worth it. I had Rich make a seat for my Dyna, and I was tempted to park it in the living room.

2) A VFR is a good call. I bought a used 98, and it was pretty comfy with the exception of a rather cramped seat/peg geometry (for me anyway). I also had a BMW K75 that worked pretty well.

3) If you can deal with laughter from your friends, a Gold Wing with a custom seat is tough to beat. I've had two, and they work really well. At least you'll be riding. And they are the ultimate winter commuter.

4) I currently have a Buell S3 that's very comfy with an aftermarket seat. Plenty of room in the seat/peg/bar setup, and a nice compromise between sportbike and standard.

5) I also have a Wing, but it's for sale. I think I've settled on a DL650, if the setup is close to the DL1000. Yeah, the bigger Strom would be nice, as would a GS, but the buy-in is higher, and I'm weary of liter bike insurance rates.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:10 AM   #24
Tigercub
Founding Member

Triumphs Speed 4, Honda 599. There are similar bikes by Yamaha and Suzuki.

The other thing you can do - I've done it with my Electraglide, is too lower the bars on a Harley (new Sportster) so that you are leaning forward taking the pressure off the back. It actually works and gives you the HD cruiser option. I don't think the Jap cruisers would have that flexibility, but maybe they do?
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 08:25 AM   #25
jlwolff911@hotmail.c
Founding Member

An Aprilia Futura or a BMW R1100S may be the ticket.
jlwolff911@hotmail.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 08:30 AM   #26
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

"Get a quality seat. Stay away from Corbin..."

Excuse me? Do you even ride your Dyna more than 50 miles at a time?

I've never heard of Rich's in Seattle, I'm sure they're great seats, but Corbin saddles are built for people who ride their bikes for days on end not just an hour at a time.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:17 AM   #27
PeterH
Founding Member

Rich is an iron butt rider himself, and the seat he made for my multi-strada transformed it from a one hour torture rack to an iron butt capable bike. I too have lower back problems but with rich's seat I can ride back to back 800 mile days.
PeterH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:59 AM   #28
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Thanks, for the info, Peter. I just re-read my post and felt it came off harsh. I didn't intend it to sound like that at all. I should have said simply that the Corbin is a quality saddle and should not be so summarily dismissed.

I've had Corbins on all my most recent bikes and have logged well over 160,000 miles on them. Many of those miles were done doing LD rides like the 50cc and so many SS2K and BBGs that I've lost count. My wife has a Mustang on her bike and it kills me because it puts me in one position and I can't move around like I can on my Corbins.

I do understand back pain. I've been treated most of my life for it. Now however, when my back is hurting me I go for a ride on my ST1100. What can I say other than it works for me.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 11:35 AM   #29
mjs
Founding Member

Yamaha YZF 600

You can't beat it

Perfect riding position for your back and a suspension that really soaks up the bumps

the price is good to
mjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 02:31 PM   #30
12er
Founding Member

I'll back you up on that one. With a rider weighing in at $1.30 the YZF600R would scoot like a rocket. Hell 3 of my buddies bought them and even with my 300lb girth it had no problem showing me 135mph right fast. Most comfortable 600 out there, softer on the springs and still with the forward lean but not too forward. Cheap too... Go sit on one.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote