Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-11-2004, 03:29 AM   #11
Kevan
Registered Member

Default Re: Good bike for bad back?

I too suffer from a bad back. Osteoarthritis. I researched any number of bikes and after market backrests and eventually bought a BMW R 1150GS and added a back rest from Best Rest products (you can find them on the net easily). The GS has the upright riding position that helps keep my spine alligned and the Best Rest back rest is infinitely adjustable to suit any size rider. I also added a set of Elf Pegs so that I could get my legs stretched out occasionally.

Unhappily, the new R1200GS, from what I can see of the pictures released so far, will not accept the mounting for the back rest nor the Elf pegs. But with a new model out, you may get a deal on a 2003 GS.

The GS is a blast to drive, will take you just about anywhere and I did a 10,00km tour last summer and 8,000km the year before without any adverse effect on my back.

Good luck in your search.

Cheers

Kevan
Kevan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2004, 04:22 AM   #12
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Corbin Seats With Backrest

I have a bad back as well and have found that a back rest really helps. You might go to www.corbin.com and look for seats that have back rests for the rider by scanning through the different bikes. For instance, the Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Drifters have a seat that has the optional rider backrest. See http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/drift_menu.shtml I am sure there are other bikes as well with this option.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 04:49 AM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Help -- good bike for bad back?

You can't go wrong with either an SV650, a Concours or a late model used VFR.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:06 AM   #14
tanstaafl
Founding Member

you might try an sv1000s which can be had quite reasonably if you shop around. then spend a the money you save over some other models and get the forks/shock redone to soften the ride up if its to stiff. Or, look at an sv650 if you want to go even cheaper. bother are great bikes and being 130 lbs, the 650 would haul with ya on it i'm sure. (I'm 220 personally)
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 05:29 AM   #15
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Just remembered a article in Rider about 10 years ago. They had a chiropracter(sp?) analyze the different riding positions of different style bikes.

(note: I've never been impressed with chiro's, but they do seem to know the skeletal structure)

They came to the conclusion that Sport-tourers ahere easiest on the back/wrist/legs as a whole, that standards where next followed by sport bikes being to cramped and cruisers putting to much strain on the lower back (pluss they transfered road impact straight to the lower spine.

All that being said, every one is different. You are going to have to get some seat time on different types of bikes to see what works best for you.

Good luck and welcome back
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 05:32 AM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Can I be a guest tester?

Please????
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 06:08 AM   #17
ebass
Founding Member

Default Re: Can I be a guest tester?

Buz, you get too many chicks already. Leave a few for the rest of us why dontcha!
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 06:10 AM   #18
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Man, those three really DO cover everything don't they?!? I was going to suggest the ST1100 to this guy but the Connie is a much better suggestion for him. Well it and the SV650 and VFR of course.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 06:25 AM   #19
flying_hun
Founding Member

Like some of the others who've posted, I had herniated a disc, and it seems that each person's situation is unique depending on the nature of their injury. My injury was in the lumbar region, and the bulge was to the rear, so leaning forward was the only way to relieve pressure. My old K100RT barely leaned me forward enough (I'm 6'3"). There was a time when I couldn't stand up straight and walk without pain, but I could ride the RT all day. In my case, something that would have leaned me forward a little more would likely have been even better, such as the aforementioned VFR and others of the ST variety. If your injury is similar to mine, one of these would be just the ticket. As others have suggested, spending some time sitting on one first, and trying to account for the effect of wind would be a good idea.

Good luck,

Kurt
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 06:46 AM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Good bike for bad back?

I'm suprised you didn't recommend the Ural. The Ural also provides regular exercise in the form of frequent maintenance stops.