Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-22-2003, 05:55 PM   #1
wrecks
Founding Member

Default Re: Wake-Up Call for South Dakota?

I always boycott sturgis
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2003, 07:53 PM   #2
bigjames
Premium Member

Default Have been suggesting this for months!

but like Kpaul said in another thread, just the threat should be enough to wake them up. Got to see what they do with the a hole in question before boycotting. I think it is, if nothing else, the right thing to do if he walks. There are other rallys going on that week in different parts of the country. Why not go some some where else for a change in early August!
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 07:56 PM   #3
Mooner
Founding Member

I say boycott South Dakota! Beter yet, lets just wipe it off the map! Instead, we'll have one great big North Dakota. Those are some nice people now, don't cha know. Those nice people would never let those Harley riding ruffians into their state now would they?
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 10:21 PM   #4
scottbriscoe
Founding Member

I say Nuke the bastard till he glows and shoot him in the dark. well maybe not, but it'd be fun right? Thats a bunch of crap 12 speeding tickets and 3 accidents, where i come from you lose your liscense when you do that. and think of how many cops let him go when they found out it was the governor of their state *cough* paycheck *cough*. so say hes been pulled over 25 times for speeding. i thought i was bad. stupid bastard.
scottbriscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 04:35 AM   #5
docd26
Founding Member

I was born and raised in South Dakota, and every one I know thinks Janklow is a jerk! I left that state as soon as I could. In Janklow's early career he was after us bikers. Now he,s killed one. I think he should pay like anyone else. Boycott Sturgis? Why not I won't go there anyway! It would certainly shake the snivelers that whine about it.
docd26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 04:59 AM   #6
sarnali
Founding Member

It'd be a good idea, just for G.P.

Kind of a reality check for the area, see how much the Winnibago's towing Saturns spend at Mt. Rushmore compared to how much the Winnibago's towing Harley's spend at Sturgis.

As noted, there are other events in August for the "bikers" to attend, it'd send a message to S.D. regarding their choice of elected officials and the enforcment of law in their state, and just to show them "bikers" don't "have" to go there.

It's a moot point for me because I'm not interested in Sturgis in the first place, but a Sturgis boycott is a good idea for the ABATE and HOG members to get behind who spend a lot of money there.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 06:01 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

I just don't see how boycotting SD would help much. It certainly won't affect the trial since trials are decided by juries. South Dakota has only two representatives. So I doubt the amount of votes that come from Sturgis itself would greatly affect the outcome of the next election. Sturgis has a population of about 6,000. There are 600,000+ voters in SD. For that matter is Jackloff even the representative for the Sturgis District?

If Jackloff is found guilty does this mean that those promoting a boycott will make a point of going to Sturgis next year in gratitude? That would only be fair.

If Jackloff gets off, which is to be expected, the best course would be to take action that causes him to lose the next election. In that case the most effective action would be to politically support the opposing candidate in the next election. Find out who the demos are running against Jackloff next year and send him/her a check. Organize a rally of bikers supporting that candidate. That would work better than just a boycott.
Old 11-23-2003, 06:47 AM   #8
sarnali
Founding Member

A boycott would be a symbolic gesture, The right honorable runs over a biker and gets off, bikers don't show up a the rally, S.D. tax revanues take a dip.

In the long run it won't amount to much, but it shows support a solidarity within the M/C community
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 08:10 AM   #9
grover750
Founding Member

I agree that the threat of a rally would have no effect on the outcome of the trial (nor should it).

But, as I said before:

It would put pressure on the state to clean up it's mess of a judicial system.

It would send a message to other states and people that motorcyclists stick together and won't sit idly by while motorcyclists get killed.

It would encourage the people of SD to elect judges that enforce the law blindly.

Seruzawa - Janklow is the only person South Dakota has in the House of Reps, so he is the rep for Sturgis. I live in Minnesota and have been through Sturgis during the rally twice. Both times, I couldn't get a motel room on I-90 all the way across southern mn, south dakota, or Wyoming. Resturants that usually have 5-10 people in them had lines out the doors. Official estimated attendance of the 2003 rally was 502,000 bikers, in a state that has only 756,000 people. It is not a stretch to say the economy of western south dakota has become dependant on the rally.

When I read statements like "So I doubt the amount of votes that come from Sturgis itself would greatly affect the outcome of the next election.", I start to doubt that you've been to the rally. The rally has grown way, way beyone just Sturgis. I know people that go to the rally that never even step foot inside the town. It should almost be called the black hills rally. You can't find a campground or hotel room within 100 miles that is not full.

I know many people from SD, and if Janklow gets off, I really doubt it will be necessary to send money to Janklow's opponent. There is no way he's getting re-elected.
grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 10:24 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Whoops. You're right. Just checked it on the internet. They used to have two Reps, but that was a few years ago.

I haven't been East of Denver in 20 years so I don't have much recent knowledge. I'm not into huge events or the trailer culture either. It still boils down to how many voters can be influenced. That's all politicians care about. Jackoff's stupidity, hopefully, will have been enough an embarassment that the good people of SD will throw the bum out.