Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-25-2003, 03:21 AM   #41
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Now it's my turn

It's all pointless you see because according to BigJames all the people who live in South Dakota close up shop and the area is taken over by out-of-state vendors. So any boycott is worthless because no one who votes in South Dakota profits from Sturgis anyhow and therefore the economic threat is useless. At least according to that political genius.

We know why Kook wants the boycott. It's just another way for him to dramatize his psychotic hatred of all things Harley. He can attack the Harley riders and pretend self-righteousness.

Boycotts in general are very ineffective tools for political persuasion. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they backfire. Usually not enough people participate to make a difference. At this point in time I imagine that most of the people who profit from Sturgis are going to vote against Janklow next time so a boycott becomes doubly chancy if not self-destructive.

Anyone who thinks that the people who flock to Sturgis each year are going to give up their event is dreaming. Another idea is to utilize these thousands of people for demonstrations against Jackloff at the State Capital and to get them to maybe donate some money to Jackloff's opposition in the State Primary and, if he wins the Primary, in the next election. Certainly there are other South Dakota politicians who are smelling the blood in the water and will come after Jackloff hard. Anyhow, that's what I suggested to the AMA.. But I guess opposing the majority consensus for boycott has become politically incorrect on MO.

It all becomes moot if Jackloff is convicted and then thrown out of the House. But I'd bet he slides out on the felony conviction so we'd better prepare for a future battle. That's if we truly are going to put our money where our mouths are and actually do something instead of just telling other people what to do. You got that absolutely right, longride.

People should write the AMA with their suggestions. If not a member, then join and write about it. No other agency is going to act effectively or organize any political action effectively. Whether or not you like the AMA's policies that's the reality of it.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2003, 03:25 AM   #42
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Wow! ....

If you go up to the toolbar and click on "view" and then "source" a window will open that shows the html code of the page you are viewing. You can then use "Edit" and then "Find(on this page)" to search for the string you are interested in emulating. You can then copy the code you want and fix it up to your liking.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:17 AM   #43
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

It amazes me the time KPaul spends worrying about what Harley riders are going to do. He doesn't like them anyway, so why all the worry? Besides, who is his wife going to hang with at the next rally if all the Harley guys stay home? Maybe he ran out of broomsticks, so he needs the boycott to keep them at bay. My point was for each person to be active in this fight and not argue about boycotts and all that. If each of us has our voices heard, things will happen. Most riders aren't in the AMA, but as soon at the shyt hits the fan they cry for and AMA response. If they had more members and money, their response might actually mean something. I guess some people can't figure that out.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:15 AM   #44
KPaulCook
Banned

Default And you call it a brotherhood.

And you call it a brotherhood. A brotherhood doesn't turn its back on its brothers. A brotherhood puts the good of the one ahead of the good of the many. If there was a Harley brotherhood you would see a boycott Sturgis movement by HOG groups. But the brotherhood is really a myth created by HD marketing, design to capture Posers like you longride. By the way I love it when you don't respond cause I always get the last word.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 06:21 AM   #45
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Wow! ....

I did that and a window opened up with a bunch of jumbled letters and stuff. I got scared and quickly closed it.

Of course, I'm still searching for the "any" key.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 08:32 AM   #46
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Html help for the Educationally challenged

click here
Old 11-25-2003, 08:45 AM   #47
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Join the AMA and tell them how you feel about the Janklow situation.

Join here
Old 11-25-2003, 09:04 AM   #48
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: getting the last word proves what?

all that proves is that you have nothing better to do than argue with complete strangers

The fact is I tend to agree with some of what you say in this instance about hog marketing, and a boycott of some sort after the trial might make a dent in S.D. tax revenues.

But as longride and seruzawa said, unless you get active in the AMA, cough up some money and start writing letters your pretty much talking out your ass.

And ultimately it's up to the S.D. legal system to take care of this, a pre-emptive strike, in the form of a boycott is going to hit the wrong target. Best to find out if this guy gets a free pass or does time before we move to that stage.

As I said, it's a moot point for me because I don't like crowds, and I value what little hearing I have left after almost 30 years in plant operations.

I do think that blatant dis-reguard of traffic laws and the welfare of other drivers should be punished. Just see what happens before you lock-n-load.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 10:35 AM   #49
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Say what?

I am active in AMA. Wrote some letters both to the AMA and to the politicians of SD. The actual boycott would be after the trial I am sure, but the the threat should be before the trail for maxium public exposure. Its simple tatics. If we don't threaten a boycott its no good to have one.

Old 11-25-2003, 03:31 PM   #50
grover750
Founding Member

I have an issue with your logic on boycotts. You seem to be saying:

Don't join boycotts... because they rarely work...because not enough people join them.

I can think of quite a few boycotts that have worked: Nike (arguably) improving working conditions in their factories; many apparrel manufacturers no longer utilizing child labor or sweatshops, South Carolina reducing or eliminating (too lazy to look up the details) the confederate flag due to NAACP boycott, Starbucks paying it's bean growers a wage they can live on. Those are just off the top of my head.

You mentioned that sometimes boycotts backfire. Can you give an example?

I gather from many of your posts you are a conservative leaning person. It's always interesting to see how people of different political leanings address problems.

We all want to see Janklow put behind bars. We all want to send a message to the rest of the world that motorcyclists stick together, and that there are consequences for killing motorcyclists, none of us want to be treated as second class citizens by the law.

Your solution (as a right leaner): Give money to his political opponent.

My solution (I'm a lefty): Organize a boycott, send a grassroots message, get the message out.

An interesting, if oversimplified, microcosm of the current presidential campaign.
grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote