Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-18-2003, 05:32 PM   #31
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Re: Minimum Number of Bikes

The Suzuki DL650 is due in dealer showrooms soon. I haven't seen any tests on it yet, but it has a proven engine from the SV650 and a lowered version of the DL1000 frame. Check it out.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2003, 05:44 PM   #32
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Re: Red Green

PBS? Try CBC. Go far enough north and everyone would get that.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 06:18 PM   #33
BobW
Founding Member

I plan on checking out the baby V Strom, but not for off road. My DR 650 is more than 100 lbs. lighter and its still a handful at times. Can't imagine trying to muscle a 450-500 lb. bike in the mud.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 06:23 PM   #34
thecrumb
Founding Member

Check it out... and imagine that pretty exhaust getting crushed while running over a rock/tree/stump

Pick up a cheap used KLR and keep the VFR - if I could have two bikes - those would be it - too bad the KLR has to sit in the garage alone for a few more years.

jim

thecrumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 06:26 PM   #35
dheikkinen
Registered Member

I have a KLR650 that I use for all my riding (unfortunately its my only bike). I ride with friends that have BMW K bikes. I don't have any problem staying up with them. We ride small secondary 2 lane state and county roads. I have modified my KLR with a lowering kit (I'm 5'7"), taller windscreen, and Pirelli Scorpion tires. The bike handles great on the road, especilly in the twisties, and handles dirt and gravel roads with ease. I can cruise for hours at 75 mph on larger highways as we head for our destination. Just stay off the Interstate as the wind buffeting on such a light bike is unpleasant. Also the aftermarket parts supply for KLRs is extensive so you can modify it just about any way you want.
dheikkinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 05:03 AM   #36
Buzglyd
Founding Member

He sounds like a stout and hearty man who can defy physics.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 07:01 AM   #37
ewok1
Founding Member

Default Re: KTM All the Way!

the 400 is black market. it sat on the dock in seattle for 16 months. couldn't get it in through customs there. we heard bill gates had a super car impounded at the same time. his car didn't make it in. anyway that's the story. then the bike was shipped to vancouver and a friend rode it across the border. it took a diligent effort and some creative thought to get titled and it is titled as an 84 even though it was built in 91. japanese spec bikes don't have years, just model numbers. we think it may be the only road going 91 in the u.s. but we hear rumors of other sightings. my neighbor was at mid ohio and took pictures of a gsxr 250 of similar vintage being raced there, but it was not street legal.

my wife loves the thing. so do a bunch of others. i don't think it works that well compared to my 600, but it is cool to have a perfect 2/3 size race rep. parts are a challenge and i sometimes have to call a guy in vancouver to translate the shop manual. we had to pay a relative king's ransom for it and i still flinch when i think about it. but when she's happy, i'm happy.

as for the canadian or minnesotan who made the red green remark, take off you hoser. .

i actually bought my ktm in nelson b.c. another nightmare at customs, but i got it before the u.s. dealer even had his shipped even tho we spent 3 extra days in nelson shopping for a border station who would interperet the regs the way i read them and it took a herculean effort by todd jones of ktm usa to get it in. kudos to todd and the government relations people at ktm in amherst ohio. now if he would just pay my cell phone bill for my calls to him.

as for the 950, it met all of my performance expectations. it's a goofy thing to work on and the first service without an oil change cost me $350 because the valves needed to be checked. for some reason mine was the only one i heard of that actually needed adjustment. it may be because i got it and rode it for a thousand miles instead of 600 before i could bring myself to stop and take it to the shop. i am not confident enough of my mechanical skills to do the valve adjustment myself. the oil change took me a solid 3 hours. you have to take the bodywork off and it has two drain plugs, two screens and an internal oil filter that fought with me upon extraction. one more victory over inanimate objects for me.

i scoff at anybody who says a bike like that is just as good as a sport bike in the twisties, but it's damn good. its just a girraffe compared to a sport bike and i have less confidence tipping it in. but in idaho the roads are so bad that it really opens up some riding. we also go to canada a lot and the opportunites have really increased compared to heading out on the zx and the r6. if you want to know way more about the 950 than is good for you, go to www.advrider.com and click on the link to the big, mean and nasty message board. those people are nuts.

oh and thanks for asking. i can babble about this stuff for days.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 09:26 AM   #38
sarnali
Founding Member

He's normal enough, and it's not exactly a show bike. Plus his wife Cherokee tends to keep the weeds down. I think he just keeps it in 1st and nails it.

I rode my bagger up there also, years ago. I always thought Harley was pretty smart for putting a skid plate on their older models.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 11:22 AM   #39
bigjames
Premium Member

Default what do you mean.....

used to take stripped down Harleys off road.....some still do.....a Sevicar is great off road, my 88 FLHS with sidecar will go anywhere wide enough for it and did the Alcan (as a two wheeler) back when a lot of it was, how shall we say, being rebuilt (went a little to early in the season).....you can do it, it just ain't easy. Of course, nothing worth while is easy....
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 11:24 AM   #40
bigjames
Premium Member

regardless of what you want to use the bikes for there is one set of definetive answers for minimum and maximum number of bikes....

minimum - 1, cause besides 0 that is the fewest you can own

maximum - just one more......
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote