Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-18-2003, 04:49 AM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Minimum Number of Bikes

Go for a 5. It was such a good post it should be framed. I think it's that time of the month for your buddy. He's been a martyr this week, and is going to spend the rest of the week playing a hero by chasing off Harley riders with a broomstick to practice for his next Sturgis trip.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2003, 04:54 AM   #12
Gordy
Registered Member

This is a particular sore point with me. Before I bought my Honda XRL what I really wanted was the analog of, say the old Triumph and BSA street scramblers - basically street bikes but with the capability to be used comfortably on dirt roads and moderate trails. The current crop of dual sport bikes are too tall and uncomfortable to be good street bikes (by which I mean that you could take a trip on it) and the street bikes are too front end heavy and too agressive steering geometry to be comfortable on the dirt. The Beemer things are just dumb - drop that on your leg out in the field and you have a real problem.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 05:05 AM   #13
gatling
Founding Member

I have three motorcycles right now...just sold what was the 4th one (a superclean CBX). I like owning more than one bike, but the practical side of this situation is that it seems like I am always fixing something or at least one of the bikes needs something. Right now the Harley is up on the jack with the rear wheel removed to fix a spoke (one spoke busted; the whole set needs to be replaced; that one spoke is gonna end up costing me over $200). The TL1000S needs a new tire (again!). The Daytona doesn't need anything, but I'm sure that's a transient condition. Funny thing, that CBX was 22 years old and it had the lowest maintenance burden of any of the bikes.

I read the comments on the KLR 650 with interest; I've been thinking about getting one of those for awhile. Are they as cool to own and ride as they look?

Joe Berk

www.joeberkphotography.com (lots of bike pictures!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 05:40 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I've been on two trips where the pavement has run out and creeped along in the dirt on my Ducati.

I don't think Michelin designed the Pilot Sport for trail riding but I made it through unscathed.

Dollar signs were floating through my head as I thought of the cost of replacing cracked plastic.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 05:40 AM   #15
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Go Rent a Room Lovebirds

Or should I say ButtBuddies.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 05:59 AM   #16
TuneREX
Founding Member

Yes. They're lots of fun. I had one for four years, and have always regretted selling it. It's true about there being lots of well-made accessories. You can pretty mich turn it into whatever you want. I actually used mine for long trips [3000 mi. on several occasions], and never had any trouble with it. Geez...now you've got me thinking about getting another one!
TuneREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 06:10 AM   #17
ewok1
Founding Member

you want a ktm adventure 950. it's only expensive to drop if you insist on having it look good. i own one and i could get by with having it as my only bike. i also own a zx7r and a gsxr 600 track bike. i think that is optimum for me. my wife has a monster, an r6, a gsxr 400 and an f650 so i have other choices too.

but if i had to own one, it would be the ktm. i would cry to see the zx leave, but i could do it.

like red green's man's prayer says. "i'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess."
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 06:31 AM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

Gotta agree with the people advising a KLR or something similar. I've ridden various streetbikes for brief periods on dirt roads. Even the lightest 750, an 81 Ksaki, which weighed in at about 450 lbs handled at tiptoe speeds at best. you can't possibly be serious. Putting dual sport type tires on a Z750 is only asking for trouble on and off road. The handlebars are too narrow, they are waaay to heavy.

Even the 650 class dual-purps are too big and heavy for real off road fun IMHO. I just suck it up and take my dirt bike out to some place nice in my truck. I have to insure the truck anyhow and the dirtbike costs virtually nothing since it doesn't require licensing or insurance. It is a lot easier, and costs hundreds dollars less, to pick up a 250 dirt bike when you drop it than an FZ6. Don't even think about the problems from the non-existent low end torque from the inline-4 600.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:38 AM   #19
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

A friend of mine's ST4 fell over, slipped off the kick stand, and it cost him over $1,700.00 in repairs.

I could light my Yamaha dual-sport (DT2) on fire, run it over, and beat it with a baseball bat, and not incur such horrible expenses. It might even look better.

Old 11-18-2003, 06:40 AM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Did he have the old "suicide" stand.

My ST4 is a 2000 and the side stand isn't auto-retracting.

Ducati offers a retrofit kit for those who want to eliminate that "feature."
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote