Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-29-2003, 06:00 AM   #1
smokingtz
Founding Member

Default Re: Nostalgia and Capability

I'm sort of craving an old Katana for those same reasons. (I own an R1 and ride it at 25%). Although maybe an SV650 would be a better Gpz550. Any GS650 Katanas out there for sale?
smokingtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2003, 06:10 AM   #2
kawazuki
Founding Member

Well, there is something to be said for the reliability of a modern motorcycle. I like fuel injection, and never having to worry about whether my bike will start, or stuff like that.

And modern tires, brakes, suspension components... Personally, I don't need all the handling and power. If I could get a fuel injected KZ-1000 motor in a nice rock solid aluminum frame, with recent forks and shocks and rims and tires, even with exactly the same geometry, I'd be giddy as a schoolgirl. Reliable, comfortable, and yet with the enhanced safety that the better components brings, that would be an ideal bike for me.

Then there are the days that I want a 40 kg 120 hp hypermotard. I end up wanting a lot of stuff.

-Kawazuki
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 06:39 AM   #3
dmoon64
Registered Member

Lately I find myself looking at the "New" Enfields. The idea of a bike that needs me to help is kind of appealing. From my standpoint there is no adventure in today's bikes. I currently have an 84 RZ350, and my wife wants a R1150R. It's interesting that I see some bikes as appliances.
dmoon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 06:40 AM   #4
roja_dude
Founding Member

Default Dude you are a poser

Your bike sux
roja_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 06:46 AM   #5
roja_dude
Founding Member

Default Kidding

But you see the idea. People buy motorcycles for a variety of reasons, but pure lust is one of them, and it's probably much stronger than practicality. Heck, we are riding motorcycles after all. I think that the latest generation of motorcycles (for at least 20 years or so) is a breed of reliable, competent machines that usually die because of age, poor storage, or crashes, not high mileage or catastrophic failure. People get bored with these bikes long before any rational justification exists for replacement. And if you are getting something new, why not choose a bike that is objectively better, in terms of technology, performance, looks, and the like. This is also fueled by motorcycle magazines, which need to sell more issues through sensationalism. What's so exciting about reading about a bike that is the same as all the others?

I am excited by the interesting "niche" bikes of late. Not as fast as repli-racers, not as comfy as tourers, but excellent machines that defy classification. Make mine funky!
roja_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 06:57 AM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

Capability may not be the most important thing riders look for.

There is something to be said for the rider, and for the machine. If you ride for the wind in your face, or the performance of a well-executed run on a challenging road or track (or if you are just on a bike for the "Look"), the machine beneath you has only purpose and its capability (or appearance) might be most important to you.

If you are a gearhead, then the machine has not only the purpose, but the "personality".

A good illustration of these two aspects is any group of Harley riders. Some are posers, some are riders, some are gearheads, and then you have the riders that adore their bike, because they know it inside and out, and there is nothing else they'd rather be doing.

It seems (and I apologize if this sounds stereotypical) the metric cruiser riders don't fit the last category. Maybe because there isn't a heck of a lot they can do (or need to do) with their rides, save dress 'em pretty.

I had a Harley FXR for years, and I loved that bike, warts and all. Now I have a bike that is much more "capable", is as reliable as a hammer, and I have a lot more fun on it. However, it has nowhere near the personality of that Harley, and the level of motor oil in my blood has become rather low. My only salvation is that I have the wonderful distractions of a young daughter and a baby boy, so I don't have any time to work on bikes (or much of anything else, for that matter).

A buddy has solved his problem another way; he rides an XB9S, but has gotten back into restoring old Triumph Twins. Talk about personality!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 07:06 AM   #7
ewok1
Founding Member

Default both or neither, pick one

i love any bike that runs. i disagree with the implication of your question. old and new bikes rely on technology and rider input. they are simply capable of different performance. the decision on what to ride is preference. the values could not be objectively measured. whatever floats your boat ride that. just don't wave at the bmw owners.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 07:17 AM   #8
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Wasn't the GB 500 a single? Your point about older tech bikes being more enjoyable for street riding is valid however. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 07:23 AM   #9
SRMark
Founding Member

I've owned a bunch of bikes: some fast and some nowhere near. Of all of them, my favorite is my SR500. I used to be able to do 500-mile days on it without much trouble. As for your GB500 being good for only 50 miles, the folks at FSSNOC will certainly get a chuckle out of that. I guess I tend to like most bikes, from Aprilias to Zundap(p?)s. I like modern technology at times and other times I like to be more self-sufficient. I have an ST1100 and an old Harley Sprint 350ss and they both are well appreciated. Check the mirror after your ride. If you're smiling, the bike was just fine.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 07:26 AM   #10
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: Dude you are a poser

Why how terribly rude.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote