Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-30-2003, 11:28 AM   #51
wfowade
Founding Member

Default Re: Nostalgia and Capability

You have obviously never considered Mexican or Thai hookers .
wfowade is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2003, 02:13 PM   #52
Tigercub
Founding Member

I have a new Triumph and an old Triumph. I also own a Harley and Norton. If I had to keep one bike and get rid of the rest I'd keep the 1970 TR6R Tiger. It does most of what I enjoy in motorcycling. It has great garage appeal - it still looks great after 33 years, is easy to work on and parts are readily available and cheap. It rides great, as long as you don't spend much time above 65mph. But in the mountain roads it's as much fun as the new Triumph. You just can't ride it far or fast, but as the years go by here in California the speeds get slower and slower anyway.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 02:22 PM   #53
clively
Founding Member

Thanks, I am hoping to swing it by December & I think it would be neat & economical.
clively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 02:26 PM   #54
cyclesteve
Registered Member

If you like 50's check out TWO's 50 cc rally. It was this past weekend and is a yearly event and AMA sanctioned. about 150 there this yr. see their site for pics twowheelsonly.com
cyclesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 02:42 PM   #55
RonXX
Founding Member

If you guys keep this kind of stuff up for the next 2 months, then I will definitely resubscribe. With my money, MO will be saved!!
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 04:56 PM   #56
madisonian
Founding Member

To answer your question, I find great satisfaction in approaching motorcycling as a path to discovery, in discovering my own capabilities, expanding limits, viewing new scenery and as a complete escape from my work life. I do appreciate technology applied to motorcycling to improve reliability, but to reach my goals, ultimate performance is useless. I like to ride at a pretty "crisp" pace, but getting arrestred isn't on my list of near term goals. The advances in technology in the current crop of bikes, from virtually any manufacturer, have made them reliable to the point of no longer having to pack half a saddlebag full of repair stuff to feel comfortable on a cross-state trip. This is good, and it has taken a tremendous effort by the entire industry to accomplish.

I enjoy old mechanical technology as much as anyone, this weekend I will be helping my father rebuild the hydraulics on a Allis Chalmers tractor that was built in the 50's. I am really looking forward to this. When it comes to selecting a bike to ride, I sure perfer one that has the ability to get me home again with a high degree of certainty. Oh, it has to be a fun ride, too. I ride either a Sportster or a Kawi ZZR-600.
madisonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 07:13 PM   #57
Gabe
Registered Member

Default WHA'Z UP, *****EZ?

I READ AS MUCH OF THAT SHIZNITZ AS I COULD, AND I HONESTLY DON'T GET IT. I REALLY DON'T EVEN LIKE RIDING MOTORCYCLEZ. YOU HAVE TO WEAR A HELMET SO GIRLZ CAN'T SEE YOU, YOU CAN'T HOLD A 40 BETWEEN YOUR LEGZ WHILE YOU'RE RIDING, AND THERE'Z NO WAY TO BLAST YOUR TUNAGE TO ATTRACT THE LADIEZ.

THE ONLY REAL ADVANTAGE TO RIDING IS WHEN YOU HAVE THE MOST AWESOME, FASTEST BIKE TO RIDE (GSXR-1000, FOR ALL YOU WEAK-ASS *****EZ WHO DON'T KNOW) AND YOU CAN RIDE AROUND WITH YOUR COUSINZ AND DO BURNOUTZ AND BLOCK-LONG WHEEELIEZ IN FRONT OF THE 7-11.

SO SOMEBODY PLEASE, PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY YOU WOULD WANT TO PUT UP WITH ALL THE BAD STUFF I LISTED ABOVE WITH NONE OF THE GOOD STUFF LIKE HAVING EXACTLY WHAT YOUR COUSIN HAS OR DOING WHEELIEZ, WHILE ALSO HAVING TO FIX YOUR "POINTS" AND "SPARK PLUGS", WHATEVER THOSE ARE.

MOTORCYCLEZ, LIKE CARZ AND *****EZ, ARE TO SHOW OFF HOW BLING-BLING YOU ARE. GETTING DRUNK AND HIGH IS HOW YOU FEEL GOOD ABOUT YOURSELF.

DUH!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 01:17 AM   #58
pplassm
Founding Member

Parts are cheap for Triumphs and Sporsters? Wow. I wish I lived where you do.

I would steer the guy to smaller Japanese bikes to learn how to wrench. Can't get much cheaper than parts for a Honda Z50 or XR100.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:21 AM   #59
redlmtt
Founding Member

Gosh, I get your point, but so many times I go out to my garage and just look at my bikes-remeber where I've been and imagine where I'll go-that renting coud never be my only biking outlet!
redlmtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 03:56 AM   #60
tumbler
Founding Member

The only worth while discussion coming out of this post is hearing about different bikes that real everyday motorcyclists have had and enjoyed. Also, what they didn't enjoy about them. Who cares why someone else rides what they ride...check that, why someone else owns whatever motorcycle(s) they own. (some people collect bikes that are never ridden for various reasons.) And why should someone pity someone else for those reasons? That sounds an aweful lot like the reasoning, but in the opposite direction, of certain individuals on this site that go on about performance/cost ratio in their anti-american crusier rhetoric. Well I guess I'm being hypocritical, I don't like to complain about why someone owns whatever bike they own and others do (like to complain). Of course maybe I'm just stuck at work with nothing to do during what will probably be one of the last good riding days of the year and wanted to kill some time. Maybe we could talk about helmet laws that is good for wasting time...
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote