Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-19-2003, 08:50 AM   #1
jeffie
Founding Member

Default Re: Foul Weather Riding

Aerostich

Gerbings heated gloves (a bit colder than 45 in winter in northeast) or

regular leather gloves with Aerostich triple digit covers

Sidi on road sypatex (agree)

fogcity shield shield (the new darkening ones are great)

neck gaiter

good down to 15 degrees w/ heated vest

rain can be fun

there are also plenty of scary situations that can help fog your shield

ABS helps after you get used to the computer doing the braking

jeffie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-19-2003, 09:05 AM   #2
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Thanks for the "advice."

San Diego just recorded a record 167 consecutive days with no rain.

Here's some more foul weather advice. If you can't live in a place with nice weather, make friends with someone who does!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 09:57 AM   #3
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: 167 days without rain?

Is that normal for San Diego? This summer was the hottest ever recorded for this area, we had close to 90 days with temps above 80 and no rain.

The first rain we had after that I sat out in the backyard shirtless and in shorts and soaked it up. I didn't realize how much I love the rain till then.

I like hot weather in the summer but I don't think I could stand no rain for 7 mos. at a time.

By April or May I'll be sick of it again and ready for summer. LOL
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 11:02 AM   #4
SuperBill
Founding Member

Thanks for the article. It brings to mind the old saw that, "There's no such thing as the wrong weather - just the wrong clothing!"

For years I used LL Bean Gore-Tex rain gear over leathers with great success. It is pricey, but it packs well, is comfortable, and has kept me dry for hours of riding in hard rain. Also, if you're going on some sort of outdoor or waterborne expedition while you're on your motorcycle trip, you'll need them anyway, so they serve dual purpose.

I finally broke down last spring and bought a FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket and Granite pants, working toward my goal of "one outfit for all weather" that I can use when I depart for a long road trip. They work well in steady rain, but haven't had the opportunity to try them in a gully-washer yet.

For visor fogging, I've had good luck with the "Fog City" insert - no fog in that drizzly rain stuff or in the cold down to 25 F. My only complaint is that when the sun comes out, I get some weird reflections off of that second layer of plastic.

Next on my list are all-weather boots (I HATE wrestling with rubbers on the side of the road). Thanks for the info on the Sidi boots. FYI, a friend of mine has a pair of Gore-Tex lined Oxtar Matrix boots that he swears are dry as a bone in heavy rain and comfortable in all conditions.

And don't be envious of Buzglyd in San Diego. When it finally does rain there, 167 days of accumulated oil, rubber, fuel, sunscreen, Big Gulps, and other slimy stuff will float to the surface of the streets and make the bikers wish for ice racing tires!

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 12:57 PM   #5
Cheapskate
Founding Member

Here in the Denver area, one dresses for cold rather than rain. But one problem we have is the crosswalks at corners. They use a white vinyl strip, about 1-foot-wide and 5-feet-long, spaced a foot apart. Impossible to ride on when wet and you're leaned over. I practice riding between the strips so I won't forget when it's raining.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 01:02 PM   #6
cyclesteve
Founding Member

At one of Reg Pridemore's Class schools he said if it was his choice all his classes would be taught in the rain. It forces you to be smooooth and will carry over to your dry weather riding. Rain is a great leaning tool. I also tend to find that after about 15 minutes you forget it is even raining. For some reason I find rain riding very peaceful. I seem to find myself getting in the "zone" more easily.
cyclesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 02:36 PM   #7
rhust
Founding Member

Yeah, SD's nice, but you can have your I-5/805 Y and all your other fun traffic. The only thing separating you from L.A. is a bunch of Marines, but Temecula's trying their best to help you get around that! Too many people...been there - a great place to visit, but sheesh!

There is no best place to live. Everyone moved there! Enjoy the sun.
rhust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 02:39 PM   #8
rhust
Founding Member

Why are road stripes/arrows/any painted road marker not done with a gripy paint? Those things become slicker 'n snot on ice when wet! Ware them strips boys...
rhust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 05:09 PM   #9
Holy_Kaw
Founding Member

I used to love riding in the rain. Free wheelspin (burnouts and power broadslides with no noticeable tire wear)) were fun. But I would quickly get soaked or burn up (hot) from nonbreathable rainproofing in heavy rain. I still love riding in the rain. AEROSTITCH (cool, comfortable into the 80's, dryness) and Bridgestone BT020 tires (Fantastic tires) with Silica which came OEM on my '02 ZRX 1200R have made wet weather riding a unique non-event. It's like watching a video, it's raining but comfort/performance wise (after the road has been wet awhile, WATCH OUT at the start of raining) there is little difference. Cautiously pushing toward cornering limits have shown adhesion to be far in excess of what I would use in normal riding. Dropping the clutch at 4000rpm on wet slick concrete at 5 mph results in the front end coming up or striking the tire (about what I'd expect in the dry). Braking is strong but I haven't pushed as hard as in the other perimeters. I have the heated fleece jacket with the Aerostitch, I'd be Comfortable well beyond the point of ice being on the roads. Frog Togs look like they might be good in warm tempertures, they are extremely compact to carry (in a hand). A brush against the exhaust and they're ruined though.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 06:24 PM   #10
mce63
Founding Member

Those tire ruts in the concrete amazed me the first time I visited Olympia. I never have seen them that bad. Going down to Portland in a car I could set the cruise, place the car in the tracks and it would completely drive itself for miles.
mce63 is offline   Reply With Quote