Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-19-2003, 11:20 PM   #11
veepster
Registered Member

Default Re: Foul Weather Riding

For some reason, I see very few riders out in the nasty stuff here in New England. Perhaps it's the way the cagers drive around here. Just watching the looks I get riding by in 30's and rain is priceless. (that's upper 30's though)

Depending on the temps, I switch around between a one piece Roadcrafter and a Joe Rocket combo. The rocket setup is a bit warmer with the extra liners for the jacket and pants. The combo is comfy enough for a 30 minute commute, but I'm giving the electrics some serious thought for the longer rides.

I think I'm the only MOron that rides a 750 Nighthawk, but she does fine in the wet on OE Dunlop K505's. If anyone has used a better combo on this bike, please post in. I'm curious to know.

The best bike mod I've done for foul weather (or any weather) is a Scottoiler. It keeps the chain sparkling clean and slows the stretch down quite a bit. IMHO the best practical accessory for a chain-driven bike, especially a daily rider.

Ride safe...veepster

veepster is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2003, 03:36 AM   #12
veronaisland
Registered Member

Rode in this morning on the trusty 500R: 32 degrees with the sun shining off the frost in the field. What a beautiful fall day in Maine. I had on my First Gear Killo suit with Widder electric vest and gloves. This year I tried the fleece turtle I use for skiing. It worked great for blocking that nasty draft that comes in under the helmet. I've also used the anti-fogging sprays available in ski shops with great success.

In 2002, my last ride was November 24th- Snowed the next day. It's a long winter, plenty of time to warm up and stare at the bike in the basement.
veronaisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 04:23 AM   #13
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: 167 days without rain?

It's not normal but it's pretty dry here. I think annual rainfall is only about 10-12 inches.

I had a nice H-D rainsuit that I bought some years ago and I sold it because I never took it out of the bag!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 04:24 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I hear ya. I've watched this place go from a small beach town to a huge tourist trap.

And Thank God for those Marines preventing us from becoming Orange County!
Old 10-20-2003, 04:28 AM   #15
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You are so right about that. That's why I refuse to ride in the rain here, ever. On a road trip a little rain is fine with me. Locally, people still drive 80 mph six inches from each other's bumpers.

One wrong move and it looks like a NASCAR restrictor plate-race crash. Luckily, I don't have to commute to work so I can avoid the madness.
Old 10-20-2003, 04:45 AM   #16
paul_from_Minnesota
Registered Member

Never ceases to amaze me what people will spend on rain gear and other accessories in order to "save money". OK, this is all my humble op, but get a good, Aerostich set-up. It is all you will have to wear. In any weather. No storing raingear or different this and that. No stopping to put your rain gear on over your now damp clothes.

I have the Darien jacket and pants and am always dry, comfortable and protected. All weather from 30-100 and I am comfortable.

For the cooler temps, the Aerostich fleece is fabulous and I have the electrics for the cold stuff. If you have never had the electric (anything) experience, save up and get some. It turns a ride into a great ride. Comfort like staying warm is a great asset to your riding. It WILL extend your season and let you ride more. Also, a shellaclava keeps my neck and chin warm and has a remarkable windbreaking ability. It fits easily under my full-face helmet.

The 'stich triple digit raincovers are amazing in their ease of operation and their rain repellant abilities. I have also used them in the dry cold as a glove windbreaker. Nice long gauntlets that cinch up on your arm. And they store in a jacket pocket easily.

I have been using the Aerostich Combat touring boots sealed with Auqaseal with great results. Dry feet always. Time will tell how long that works as they are only 1 year old, but I have high hopes.

I have no protection from the wind and rain on the bike, so I take my clothes seriously.

Sorry if this sounds like an ad for Aerostich, but my experience with their stuff has been great. I ride in most any type of weather 50-70 miles for work most days and on trips when I can find the time. I like it when a product actually performs!

Paul from Minnesota on a 2002 Vmax!
Old 10-20-2003, 07:47 AM   #17
BobW
Founding Member

The bike stays in the barn once it hits -10 or so. It comes out any sunny day when the roads are dry.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 10:53 AM   #18
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Good Advice, Thx!

Thanks for the wonderful advice. You obviously speak from great experience. A bit bourgeoisie perhaps, but nonetheless very well-considered.

Here in hillbilly land, amongst the hoi-polli, advice is way less expensive and is succinct to the point that it may be summed up in just two words.

Garbage bags.

cheers

sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:11 AM   #19
mconlon
Founding Member

"45' and raining for six months." Sounds positively balmy. Try 20' and when the road isn't chock full of snow and ice, it is coated with salt, just waiting to accumulate on your bike and corrode it. Lucky NW bastards...
mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:16 AM   #20
SRMark
Founding Member

In case a little extra comfort becomes needed, I always carry silk glove liners and balaclava. Cabela's has them cheap. It's amazing what those little things do when the chill creeps in. Some GoreTex socks come in handy too. Best to put those on before the ride starts.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote