Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-16-2003, 05:25 AM   #1
jsimpson
Founding Member

Default Re: Upgrade or buy new?

Keep your 750 and put the money you would have spent on another bike into land - anywhere!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-16-2003, 05:38 AM   #2
sarnali
Founding Member

Buy new, no matter what you do it's still a ten year old bike,

New bike's are better, all the magazines say so. If you don't have the very latest new bike each year you can't possibly keep up with anyone. Make sure you carry all relevant test data in your tankbag in case you have to prove you case.

Really if you're happy with yours keep it, if you want and can afford it buy new, the performance level is pretty much determined by your skill, not your bike.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 05:39 AM   #3
webdev511
Registered Member

Default Upgrade

Spend the money on SUPERIOR suspension upgrades. Ohlins out back, and Race Tech up front. Make sure you have a professional help you dial them in. A set of new brake lines, some Speigler or Brembo discs should make you happy too.

There's no worse money spent than suspension upgrades that aren't dialed in. If you don't get it setup right, then you're no better off than you were before.

If you still have some money left over, spend it on a riding school. Schwatnz, Kegwein, Code, Pridmore so you'll learn how to get the most out of your current ride.
webdev511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 05:50 AM   #4
ducatirdr
Founding Member

As a racer of the lowly EX500 Ninja I have to tell you that new brakes and suspension work will make your bike feel sooooo much better on the track.

My war horse EX500 was purchased just for the track. In the LW Sportmans class you can have a lot of fun on one of these and a twisty little track like we have near me. I figured I would not need a Penske rear shock and front suspension right away as my limited racing skill wouldn’t find the limit of the stock suspension right away… WRONG!

Stock suspensions suck on the race track. Maybe the newer repli-racer *may* be able to get your set up close to what it should be but for the most part Stock suspensions are built for the street and can’t handle the abuse of track use. Not only are they usually low cost (read crap) units they are infamous for having spring rates for a 140 lbs rider.

So when I did my EX500 over with a new Penske rear and rebuilt the front with near heavier springs and damping it made a huge difference. I thought I had a GSXR rolling chassis under me compared to the stock crap.

Brakes… Nothing makes more sense than to replace the pads with race compound for track use. That little bit and throw a set of braided lines will have your stock brakes working a bit better for you. Next is replacing your rotors with floating units. After that then think about better calipers. You may be happy enough with the stock calipers with lines and pads.

Once you set up your ride with this stuff you’ll be amazed at the difference on the track. You’ll be passing guys on newer equipment and making them feel like idiots for being passed on an old sled. I know I enjoyed passing GSXR1000’s, CBR9x9RR’s and other bigger "faster" bikes on my EX500. Of course it was a tight race course and I bet money that I’d go slower on their bike as well.

ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 05:56 AM   #5
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Your talking some serious money for 1 or 2 trck days, and you did not mention the mileage or condition of the motor.

Yes if you upgrade the brakes and suspenders and dial everything in the bike will fell superior to what it is now. Then some motor work would come next.

I would think that for 1 or 2 track days a year, it seems hardley worth the cost. I would spend the money on more track days. Then, if your hooked into track days do the upgrades.

my 2cents
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 06:37 AM   #6
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

No, suspension upgrades will not get a YZF750 near a new 600. Technology is advancing on sportbikes at a pace just shy of the computer industry's.

Another thing---I've been to a few trackdays and I can now say that a lot of what you hear about guys dusting liter bikes on their ex500s is all B.S. Pretty soon they're going to be saying that a well-ridden YSR-50 will smoke a GSXR1000. Perhaps the guys on these liter bikes just came from the dealership and never rode, but anyone that can ride at all will go much faster on a new R1 than on an EX500 or even an sv650. When I was at the track there was a licensed racer there on an EX500, and the other guys were complaining that he was a "hazard" because he was so slow. No offense to the EX500 riders but frankly I'll believe it when I see it, and I haven't seen it yet.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 06:46 AM   #7
waepoint
Founding Member

Default My biased recommendation

Consider a new Kawi ZX-6R. It makes 750 power, has unbelievably good brakes, and excellent (if a bit nervous) handling through the corners. I wouldn't recommend it as a full-time Iron Butt bike, but it's a hoot for 100-200 mile rides throught the twisties and an absolute beast of a track bike. I just took mine to the Code school and had a blast. Bone stock, the Sixxer makes my '96 F3 feel like exactly what it is ... a good, but outdated bike.

The improvement in sportbikes over the past 10 years really makes this a no brainer to me. Putting nice suspenders on your YZF will undoubtedly improve it. But you'll have spent a ton of money on a bike that is still relatively heavy and makes less power than any of the new 600s.

Oh yeah, and I know that speed, etc. all ultimately comes down to the rider. Please everybody, save your stories about how you and your stock Hurricane smoked all those guys on Gixxer1000s at the last track day. Fact: some people ride fast and some people ride slow, no matter what the equipment. We get it. But if any given person is looking for a better ride and a faster personal lap time, a new 600 trumps a 10-yr old 750 in just about every way.
waepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 06:50 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Keith Code noted about ten years ago that the bikes were much better and the improvement in tires and suspension should have netted his students 2 seconds a lap. He then noted that there were no improvements in student lap times, and that was 10 years ago! Many people are faster on slower bikes. It's a fact. The latest and greatest is for the racers. For the average rider, the ability of the bike outstripped your ability to ride it faster about 15 years ago.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:06 AM   #9
ducatirdr
Founding Member

You can look at the results and see for yourself.

http://www.lrrsracing.com/images/pdf..._2003/Sun5.PDF

Top rider with an EX500 gets a 80.977 lap times

vs amature HW superbike

http://www.lrrsracing.com/images/pdf..._2003/Sun7.PDF

Only three riders faster than the ex500 out of 30 riders....

Sure in Daytona and other wide open tracks the EX is a joke but in small tight tracks you will pass much bigger bikes and may it stick.

BTW I finished ahead of a lot of people on SV650's from a wave in front of me at Daytona this past Feb. while I was on my EX500. They were so slow around the infield I thought if was funny. Pass two SV's in the first horseshoe around the outside... I does happen.

ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 07:09 AM   #10
waepoint
Founding Member

I completely agree with you, and yet you're wrong. Wait, I just confused myself ...

I agree with the fact that motorcycle technology has outstripped the skills of many / most riders, but I think this is only manifested at the extreme low end of the rider spectrum. For a complete newbie, the extreme capabilities of new bikes are a hindrance, because it's damn frightening to have 100+ ponies lurking under your groin. Spastic new riders will have all their difficulties magnified by the power and sensitivity available.

But for someone who has learned the motorcycle basics and is becoming a good rider, it's really silly for them to self-censure themselves down to an inferior bike. Your argument is comparable to saying that only Eric Clapton should play a strat, which is silly. Better equipment removes hurdles for someone who is capable and trying to improve. If I'm trying to figure out why my lap times aren't falling (and they're already respectable), why should I subject myself to evaluating both myself as a rider and my bike (motor, suspension, etc.). Getting a bike that's "over your head" takes it fundamentally out of the equation, putting responsibility squarely on the rider to improve up to the level of the bike.
waepoint is offline   Reply With Quote