Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-10-2003, 07:52 AM   #51
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default abe ... i wonder how you'd feel ....

i wonder how you'd feel about this issue had you become a quadraplegic as a result of your poor judgement.

our opinions are colored by first-hand experience. as a young, single, carefree lad, i was dead against big brother intruding on my freedoms. now that my son is old enough to start riding my feelings on the subject are much different.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2003, 07:52 AM   #52
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: It's for your own good!

You'd be surprised how high performance a $4000 Civic is with $6000 in a turbo and nitrous.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:54 AM   #53
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: abe ... i wonder how you'd feel ....

Why not just restrict your son's freedoms yourself, instead of having big brother do it for you?
Old 10-10-2003, 07:56 AM   #54
kawazuki
Founding Member

And worse than an R1, because that $10k Civic still has stock Civic brakes and stock Civic handling. At least an R1 can stop and turn.

-Kawazuki
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 08:02 AM   #55
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default Re: abe ... i wonder how you'd feel ....

rest assured i will.

but there are lots o' teens who aren't getting restricted. can you imagine a hyabusa or a GSXR1000 as a first bike? it is happening. every day.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 08:09 AM   #56
quasi_d
Registered Member

Actually here's a question for anyone who has experience. Let's say you've only ridden sportbikes (for the last 3 years) and are a relatively competent rider (trackdays and novice racing done and the such) and wanted to try your hand riding a big 'ol cruiser around, should you start with a small/medium cruiser, or does riding a cruiser pick up quickly (so you can go for the 700lb behemoth you're interested in, right off the bat, as long as you're not dumbass about it).
quasi_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 08:11 AM   #57
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I agree with the restrictions. If the youngsters are killing themselves on these rockets, who are we going to get to volunteer to be blown up by random attacks in Iraq and Afghanistan? We need to protect these kids from the dangers of fast motorcycles, so they can die protecting us! Seruzawa help me out here!
Old 10-10-2003, 08:14 AM   #58
acecycleins
Founding Member

Your elected officials are there because you elect them. We as a society have the ability to make change when change is needed. If the people so desire change that means we can effect the way the change is implimented. If ABATE can run around and tell congressmen that they want the helment laws changed to reflect freedom of choice then they can ask for changes in licensing code, too. I don't want anyone to think I want bigger government, but if you use a simple power to weight ratio for newbies to get experience first then safer drivers we all will be. 23yrs of riding and 4 yrs in the motorcycle insurance business have slowly changed my mind on how we allow all new licensed drivers to become licensed in the first place. I'm tired of paying higher insurance premiums for my lifestyle because of the irresponsible. We effect law- then the law effectes us. If we help control the way it is written in the first place then all will win in the long run. The alternative will be restrictions by those that insure bikes. If underwriters get their way the litre class sportbikes will be all but uninsurable within a few years.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:22 AM   #59
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Hey, your logic isn't welcome here. We need emotion and knee-jerk reactions to curb this epidemic of young squids on 150hp bikes.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:29 AM   #60
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Power to weight ratio? By that logic it's OK for a newbie to get a Geezer Glide as his first bike, since it has a power to weight ratio far less than even an SV650 or a dual purpose bike. That would be every bit as dangerous as a GSX-R1000.