Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-10-2003, 07:09 AM   #31
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: It's for your own good!

Uh, I'm not sure where you live, but most states allow 16 year-olds out on the street in a car with very little training, much less than an equivalent motorcycle rider.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2003, 07:10 AM   #32
acecycleins
Founding Member

That's my point. If the Europeans can make a skills test that really test you why can't the US. The lame parkinglot test that the DMV gives won't save your life. But if you take time to learn about what your riding and have a REAL road skills test maybe you'll learn something along the way.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:14 AM   #33
promreuk
Founding Member

Max biaggi rode his first race when he is 18 years old and got his first 250GP debut when he is 20 years old. It takes him 2 years to get a ride with top riders in the world. How long you have been riding doesn't ALWAYS tell how well you can ride, talent is.

from bike-newbie with a licensed 250 racer (Aprilia)
promreuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 07:16 AM   #34
acecycleins
Founding Member

15 is the age in GA when you can obtain a learners permit. You must have that permit for one year before you may take the skills test to obtain a C class. In almost every state you DO NOT need to have a MP (learners) at all. You can go into any DMV and walk out and take a parkinglot skills test (that's lame) and get a M class. Do you want Joe 16yo with NO car or bike experience on the same mountain road as you?
Old 10-10-2003, 07:26 AM   #35
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

No, you can't do that in most states at 16. At 18 you can (check on this if you don't believe me). Most states require you to take the MSF course if you are under 18 before you can take the DMV test.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:33 AM   #36
torrnado
Founding Member

It won't be until enough people get killed with our (American) government do anything about increasing standards or restrictions.

I'm surprised some greedy, litigious attorney hasn't filed suit against a dealership for selling a crotch rocket to some newbie who later was killed or maimed.
torrnado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 07:41 AM   #37
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

I can agree with you that the DMV skills test is lame ( it's also pretty pointless. How often are you REALLY going to make tight right hand u-turns? I wish someone would think about these things.) But the MSF course, as good as it is, isn't good enough. Here are a couple of the things I noticed about it:

1) It is amazingly boring, even to newbies. A couple of them fell asleep in my class. This may have been due to our poor instructors, however. You can't learn if you are sleeping.

2) The Basic Rider Course needs to be extended in both time and scope. It does a mediocre job at best teaching people to deal with common conditions/situations encountered in everyday street riding, such as:

A)Rain (or any reduced-traction situation, for that matter)

B)How to brake hard, properly and safely, especially approaching/entering turns

C)How to prevent/deal with a locked wheel (especially front)

D)How to really lean a bike over confidently at speeds over 25 mph

E)How to use braking and swerving in a safe manner over 25mph

I know the course touches on some of these things, but practicing them once or twice at low speeds in a parking lot does not adequately prepare a rider for actual street riding. It only prepares them for passing the test.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:41 AM   #38
acecycleins
Founding Member

Not that I dogging out any 18yo that rolls up to gat a license but if they don't have to live by the same requirements that get them a license as the kid at 16 did does it make any of use fell any more at ease. And by the way, I can't think of any SE states that require a MSF course under the age of 18 to obtain your m class. You can simply go take a written (multiple choice) test and walk out with a MP. Then hit the road and anything on it.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:41 AM   #39
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Don't be so sure it hasn't happened.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:43 AM   #40
996superhawk996
Founding Member

Because there aren't many kids out there who can afford high performance cars but can afford $10,000 bikes.
996superhawk996 is offline   Reply With Quote