Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-10-2003, 05:48 AM   #21
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: It's for your own good!

Podkayne of mars?

"A society that will trade a little order for a little freedom will lose both, and deserve neither."

Thomas Jefferson

"Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you."

Benjamin Franklin

VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2003, 05:51 AM   #22
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

It's all about common sense, and choice. Like another post said, if a new rider is stupid enough to go out and buy a crotch-rocket for a first bike, he get's what he deserves.

Being from California, I really don't think we need more rules governing motorcycle licenses. Anyway, the riding part of the test would be impossible for a new rider to pass, on a big Gixxer, or comparable machine. They'd just fall over, plop.

(Then again, they can look in the Recycler, and rent a 185cc Honda Rebel to pass the test with. But I digress...)

Freedom without responsibility = bad choices.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:52 AM   #23
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Robert hits the nail on the head (timely quote Abe)! It seems that it used to be that more experienced riders would guide a riders progression toward more powerful bikes. A lot of todays newer riders didn't grow up around motorcycles/motorcyclists and never learned those "rules". Who wants to drive a Chevette when for a few dollars more you can drive a Corvette! I'm concerned about novice riders on 100+ horsepower, "First" motorcycles. The road is slippery though, I believe that government intrusion would inevitably lead to "Safer" motorcycles for all. I have never supported the theory that the government knows what is good for me, or you. Give me the facts, I'll decide.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 05:58 AM   #24
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default The CL sure was a lot of fun though wasn't it?

I loved mine and rode the sh!t out of it both on and off road. At 16 yo I couldn't have asked for better transportation/toy. Well once I got my '77 280Z in my senior year of HS that pretty much took over as the best vehicle ever right up to the point I totaled it out and spent two weeks in the hospital.

Hmm, let's review. Two years on a '75 CL360, with a bunch of get offs on the dirt and one on the road, and no broken bones. - vs - One year in my '77 Datsun 280Z, nine speeding tickets, one serious crash, broken femur, dangerous loss of blood, two weeks in the hospital and two surgeries.

God I love motorcycles!

TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 05:58 AM   #25
SmokeU
Registered Member

My first "real" streetbike was a VLX too!!! I couldn't break it and I tried.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:59 AM   #26
Vlad
Registered Member

I just spent selling bikes at a local dealership before leaving to return to grad school, and I must agree that we need to do something to restrict the purchase options of new riders, regardless of their age.

As a dealer, you are in a damned if you don't situation. The buyer will always find another dealer willing to sell him a 600, 750, or 1000cc bike of absurd performance if you don't. I spent a great deal of time trying to convince buyers that they didn't need a GSXR of any size as their first machine. Unfortunately, I often ended up trying to convince them that a GSXR1000 was a bad choice for a first bike. A few people with less severe testosterone problems I was able to put on an SV650. I could and did relate horror stories, but the younger (and a few older) riders just had to have the bike they wanted, even if it meant a trip to the hospital (which, they thought, couldn't happen to them).

I'm no big fan of government regulations, but I think that riders should be limited to bikes of 50 horsepower in their first year of riding. Insurance rates would go down for all of us and fewer kids would end their riding careers very, very early. And, believe it or not, they would be far happier.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 06:00 AM   #27
acecycleins
Founding Member

You wouldn't let a 15yo out on the streets with a car and no training would you. Oh, yeah, you might based on your response.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:01 AM   #28
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Restricting motorcycle licensing will not help reduce the number of kids with little to no respect for the people around them- they will always be there, and will always act stupidly. Anyone who says differently must have been cloned directly to adulthood. The only thing that will change is that those kids would be stacking cars and SUVs instead of motorcycles. And the anti-motorcyclists would have more authority to restrict the rights of the few that still remained in our sport.

A better option than tougher licensing is to encourage riding in the dirt- it teaches more in a day about motorcycle control than a year of training courses.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:04 AM   #29
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Why don't we restrict high-performance cars then? They are just as dangerous to inexperienced operators as motorcycles, and far more dangerous to other people with that inexperienced operator at the controls?
Old 10-10-2003, 06:05 AM   #30
acecycleins
Founding Member

A resounding HELL YES, Sir. Experience will lower insurance rates. Training and limitations are the very thing that keep the rates low. Aren't you guys tired of paying over a grand a year to insure your sportbike? You just can't put anyone on a superbike and expect good things to happen.