Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-10-2003, 05:00 AM   #11
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Re: It's for your own good!

I've changed my view on this to one that allows motorcyclist to regulate themselves because I have very little faith that our government would have a clue about how to do it properly.

If they were to encourage and mandate rider training and real licensing requirements however I would have to agree with that. I would even support state sponsored training to come out of the state highway funds.

TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2003, 05:01 AM   #12
monsters4
Founding Member

What next, will we need special permits to buy pick-up trucks, SUV's, and any other vehicles that do not

get 30 miles to the gallon? All we really need is a more stringent training/licensing policy.
monsters4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 05:14 AM   #13
acecycleins
Founding Member

We, experienced riders, can make a difference. If you work along with lobbying motorcycle organizations (AMA, ABATE and alike) we can get our state governments to change the licensing procedures for obtaining a m class. Dealers are only worried about bottom line and have not got a care in the world about the experience of the buyer. With the on going horsepower war that is happening in the industry the outcome will be more fatalities and that will make all of motorcycling look bad.

How do I know this? I sold bikes for years and now have an insurance agency that specializes in motorcycles. I work with over 25 bike shops around GA and other SE cities and spend the better part of my day rating inexperienced drivers and then have to explain to them that the rates are high because of experience level. Try getting a kid to stop looking at that GSXR and look at a Katana. It ain't easy. If licencing were set up like it is in England we'd all have safer motorcycleist on the roads.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:15 AM   #14
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

I don't wear the suit or the $900 helmet, and I would also object to this. When they get around to restricting Corvettes and turboed nitrous WRXs we'll use them as a test example first. I don't need the government to tell me what's best for my safety.

By the way, let's not let this turn into another helmet debate. That horse is 15 feet under from all the beatings.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:18 AM   #15
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

We'd also have far less motorcyclists on the roads. An unforeseen consequence of this would be less people (and less money for groups like the AMA) to lobby for our rights. Is this acceptable to you? It isn't to me.

And no, I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, just different from mine.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:21 AM   #16
waepoint
Founding Member

This kinda thing is never easy, and I'd really hate for somebody to tell me that I couldn't ride my bike of choice, but I have a hard time rationalizing absolute freedom of choice for inexperienced riders.

I mean, if you're all keen to let newbies ride a GP machine off the lot using the "live n' learn" argument, ask yourself ... Why not let babies play with matches? Why not let teenagers swill 151? Why not let anybody fly a helicopter?

There are limits to freedom, and we have a lot of societal norms against letting people get into more than they can reasonably be expected to handle. All the "well, I did it w/o any problems" arguments are simply anecdotes similar to the "well, I know a 16 year old girl who rode a 'busa into a crowd of pregnant social workers" stories ... anecdotes don't determine the best / right path, averages do. And if you think the average first-year rider can safely handle a 150 rwhp superbike, then you're living in a different world (or at least a different country) than I am.
waepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 05:25 AM   #17
acecycleins
Founding Member

What would you rather have- few experienced riders with lower insurance rates or dumbass kids with little to no respect for the people around them causing accidents that could have been avoided by simply starting out on small cc bikes with less hp? I choose the lower rates. The England exam isn't that difficult. It's time consuming but shows the examiner that you have the skills to operate a bike on any roadway.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:37 AM   #18
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Newbie Aprilia Tuono Rider

Here I was on my new XB12S riding the twisting road out to Canyon lake here in Arizona and I rapidly close up on a guy on a brand new Aprilia Tuono with dealer tag. This guy is all over the lane, sometimes into the other lane, no countersteer in site. RV's and little old ladies towing boats behind their Ford Crown Vics start stacking up behind us. This one expereince taught me that we do need training of some type and maybe the idea of a smaller CC bike working up to the larger is a good idea. Then the local dealer told me how he sold a new GSX-R 750 to a guy who bragged how good he was and stalled the bike 10 times getting it out of the parking lot.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 05:38 AM   #19
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Guess what? Darwinism works! It's not cool to mess with mother nature.

If one's friends, family or even a motorcycle dealership decides to intervene to prevent the sale of any bike to an unqualified rider then they've perhaps done a good deed - but it should be of little concern to anyone else and certainly not the government. The chance that you are going to injure anyone other than yourself (and maybe anyone dumb enough to get on your bike with you) is lower on a motorcycle than in other passenger vehicles. As long as you are primarily a danger to yourself you ought to be left alone by the powers that be.

I agree that most modern sportbikes are a handful and expect skilled input to stay planted on tarmac but not everyone with desire and a good enough FICO score has the requisite experience - and in most markets you are completely free to spend your money as you see fit thank goodness.

actuarially

sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 05:40 AM   #20
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Excellent post! although I fear it will fall on deaf ears here.

A 17 year old on an R1 is a sure fire recipe for major medical bills (just as if he were driving a mustang), and since the American public has shown little interest in raising it's kids, maybe the licensing bureaus and DMV's should.

We can't let this carnage continue and since we don't have the willpower to police ourselves, and before the authorites take the matter into thier own hands and hand out some draconian BS rules we should ask for help.

Conversely tho' I don't believe in mandatory helmet laws...go figure!!
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote