Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-10-2003, 02:04 PM   #101
exyzfst
Registered Member

Default Re: Finally. common sense is found to be uncommon

I am new to riding after 20+ yrs of my first bike, a CL175, and after much deliberation and a very limited budget, got a used EX500. I would assume your statement is directed toward the people that have a ego problem and enough money to buy too big a bike that fits their percieved skill level.

This bike was just right for me. I agree that new riders should be held back to smaller bikes. As anyone here would know, an EX500 has plenty of power and decent handling and ergos for new riders.

I might not get a bigger bike if the makers offered a better selection of real bikes in this size range. Where are the CB350/400 4's? A great bike in its day.

I got only a few funny looks by people at the track day I went to. All the riders there were courtious and gave me no problem. I was sooo slow compared to everyone else there, but I got accelerated experience and skill training at sport riding that you can not get on the street safely.

Some people in the States might consider to a infringement on their rights, but there would more than likely be lower insurance rates and better new riders after say at least one year on a smaller bike.

exyzfst is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2003, 02:25 PM   #102
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: It's for your own good!

"California could require a lawyer to ride on the front of the bike to absorb any impacts."

It would also make for entertaining stoppies.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:28 PM   #103
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

"Ha -- you wish. The Einsteins at ABATE spend all their energy on spreading anti-helmet blather, and now they're turning to promoting loud pipes. They'd probably want to relax licensing laws, not tighten them."

I wasn't going to go here, so you did it for me. Next thing they'll want to do is ban front brakes- they're dangerous, y'know!
Old 10-10-2003, 02:36 PM   #104
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Yes and no again. That 45 year old will be more conservative when riding by himself, but I've seen plenty of them get in over their head when they ride with their more experienced friends. Unfortunately, age does nothing to reduce susceptibility to the pressure to ride fast in groups, or to reduce the ego factor in buying a machine that's viewed as the "best". In the case of a 24 year old, the best may be an R1. In the case of a 45-year-old, it's probably a TC88 Harley.

Old 10-10-2003, 02:38 PM   #105
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

On a side note, that same 18-year-old can drive a tank in the Army, but when he goes back to the States he can't buy a handgun, because he isn't resonsible enough.

Old 10-10-2003, 03:10 PM   #106
sarnali
Founding Member

When I joined the Navy at 17 I couldn't even vote for the president that could send me off to war

I couldn't buy cigerrettes off base, or beer or get a drivers license without drivers ed.,

But I could operate an H/P steam plant on a ship that carried more firepower than the 8th AAF dropped in WW2.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 03:18 PM   #107
12ball
Founding Member

my first bike was a cruiser (95 honda shadow 1100) . my second bike is an ST1100. i've got 30k mi. on both. when i was looking for my first bike Those Who Had Gone Before Me recommended the following: if you're beginning on sport bikes, start small (500cc or under). once you're familiar with how they handle then gradually trade on up to larger displacement. that helps train throttle control and the like.

if you want to ride a cruiser go ahead with whatever model you want as the center of gravity is so much lower than a sportbike and (in the past) they are more mild-mannered and easier to handle. you'd get bored with a smaller-sized cruiser before you wore out the bike.

TWHGBM were folks involved with racing and cruiser aftermarket industries so i took their word for it. and it worked for me.

12ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 03:42 PM   #108
westcork
Founding Member

I wear a power ranger suit. And I've been riding for 18+ years, with over 100K miles experience. But I do agree.

Manufacturers and dealers have become irresponsible. The Mfgs. keep building faster and faster bikes to beat the compitition. But who needs 200MPH on the street? And the dealers almost never stock proper entry level bikes.

If people can't make the correct decision for themselves, then it's time for the government to make the decisions for them.

I feel the same way about the helmet law. I personally always wore a helmet, even before the law in Calif. But I think the law should only apply to people with less then x number of years with a MC license.
westcork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 03:51 PM   #109
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

You are of course right kawazuki. The mere fact that the requisite number, of what H. L. Mencken termed, the "booboisie" voted in a majority of the members of our "boobocracy" who pass numerous laws which are outside of the bounds of constitutional purview is bulls#t. My favorite Mencken quote: "The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic." VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 04:16 PM   #110
HRCUSA
Registered Member

Max Biaggi also had one of the worlds best mentors to teach him too, all in a controlled situation/location, the race track. On road is a whole different deal. Biaggi wouldn't probably be around now if he started the same way on the street.
HRCUSA is offline   Reply With Quote