Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Used Bikes & Spiders (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2149)

mscuddy 10-07-2003 02:54 PM

Re: The Suzuki TM-400 Cyclone

It was very fast, kind of heavy, had an erratic powerband, no flywheel, the frame flexed, bad headshake, was cheap to buy ($850.00 new in 1971), and looked just like Roger DeCosters GP bike.

Like so many fish, the public bought them by the boatload. Soon you started seeing things like this in the advertisement section of Cycle News:

"1971 TM400 Cyclone. Like new. Never raced. Injury forces sale $500.00."

A whole aftermarket industry built up around the Cyclone, in some vain attempt to make it rideable. Nothing short of a new frame, shocks, forks, and a 4 pound flywheel worked.

It came in number one, in the "Ten worst Dirt Bikes Ever Made" list.

Punch "Suzuki Cyclone" in your search engine, you'll see...

pplassm 10-08-2003 02:59 AM

Re: Used Bikes & Spiders

I have to agree, used prices are spiralling out of control. Hard to find a decent running bike for under $2K any more. Are people actually buying this junk?

pplassm 10-08-2003 03:01 AM

Rick Sieman still writes for Off-Road.com.

pplassm 10-08-2003 03:07 AM

Super Hunky also has a few articles about it on Off-Road.com.

captainwhoopass 10-08-2003 06:47 AM

Wow, that's really bad!

mscuddy 10-08-2003 07:10 AM

Jeez, that must have been a fun ride. Those old Suzuki 380's were neat. Kind of looked like a jukebox though....neon green and purple, with chrome doo-dads everywhere. Didn't they have 4 exhaust pipes too?

I once rode from Virginia Beach VA to Washington DC on a CB100. In winter. That was a hoot.

Yes, the oil-pump quit on my 1972 Yamaha 250 Enduro (right before the big GP in Adelanto in Feb.) and did the same thing. Didn't hole a piston, but ruined the bore, and stuck the rings in the grooves. But I fixed it with Scotch-Brite and it's still running, after around 1000 miles (what piston slap?) Shows you how strong those old bikes were.

Now about your Suzuki Savage; I happen to be looking at, right at the moment, a May 1973 edition of Dirt Bike Magazine, that has a shoot-out between the Yamaha and Suzuki 250 enduros.

I can fax a copy to you, if you want. The scanner's busted.

sarnali 10-08-2003 09:00 AM

I remember Super hunky in Dirt Bike too, then I switched to the cool new Motocross Action!

Dirt bikes, weed and Led Zep. are about all I remember of back then.

sarnali 10-08-2003 09:02 AM

Hubba Hubba

obandoj 10-08-2003 02:06 PM

Hmmmmm, loco weed and a bighorn, those were the days.....

SRMark 10-09-2003 05:47 AM

Re: Maico Breako

Thanks for the link. I used to watch Tony D. do some great things on his CZ. Loved the Triumph header pipe cooling fins on the shocks. I hope you ride the ol' zed often.