Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-06-2003, 06:45 AM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: The Question of Reliability (or stirring the pot)

I'm sorry, longride, but you've made the unpardonable error of comparing motorcycles to women. Such an act is unforgivably degrading to women and highly insensitive as well. Such opinions are no longer acceptable in today's new paradigm and if you persist in this sort of unacceptable mode of thought we will have to sic the Brain Police on you and delete your unacceptable opinions.

signed,

TheNewConvertedInoffensiveSeruzawa.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2003, 07:07 AM   #12
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

"'82 Suzuki GS1100GL. Ate alternator. Replaced altenator and replaced Japanese stock regulator with Brit aftermaket one that soved the problem (Suzuki refused to acknowledge or fix the problem. See the GS owners website.)"

I laughed uncontrollably at this one. Replacing Japanese electronics components with British ones. AND it solved your problem. The irony there is staggering.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:15 AM   #13
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

"Before the discussion turned into a completely off-subject flame war (No names mentioned - you know who you are)"

>

I, captainwhoopass, hereby promise not to engage in off-topic flame wars ever again on MO. I realize now the futility of these actions. I will now be a good boy.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:13 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

If enough if us start ignoring him he'll be left with nothing more than non-stop post moderating!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 08:33 AM   #15
F451
Founding Member

Most of the reliability comes down to the person owning it and their understanding of the motorcycle and its mechanical needs. For example I know HD owners who never, I mean never have any major problems and then I know riders who get what are very reliably known bikes and ride them into the ground in no time (my son, for instance). Some riders are just made for some bikes and do exceedingly well with them where others fail. Not all of the newer motorcycles are necessarily better. There have been some recently entries into the motorcycling world that came and went leaving their owners straddled with unresolved messes and unsafe motorcycles until the owners themselves took matters into their own hands....been there, done that.

Certainly, motorcycles have vastly improved, but I still marvel in the simplicity and beauty of the older makes. I do not need to be traveling at 180 mph to enjoy myself and have found that at times just soaking in the landscape while putting along has been a greater riding reward.

And some of the biggest pain-in-the-arse motorcycles I've ever owned, I've also had the hardest time letting go of and been most endeared with during my time of ownership.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 09:51 AM   #16
sarnali
Founding Member

My most reliable bikes have been my '01 Bandit, 30k miles no problems. My bone stock '80 FLHP, 60k miles one exhaust valve, repaired by me for about $50 and so far my '02 Triumph, 8k miles since june with no problems.

My most UN reliable bikes have been my '97 VFR, 2 voltage regulators in 40k miles and my '84 V65 sabre, voltage regulator and bottom end knock in 20k miles, both of which left me on the side of the road at "in-opertune" times

My '85 K100RS and my '79 R100RT were reliable but with a few nickle dime annoyances, my '83 GPZ 750, '86 ZX1000R ninja and my '80 KZ750 were all reliable as bricks.

My '78 XLH generator brushes stuck a few times, but WD40 cured that, and my scratch built '76 shovelhead was as reliable as I could make it with all the used and aftermarket parts I started out with. The longer I rode it the more new stock HD parts I could afford to put on there the more reliable it got, to where when I traded it for the '80 it was pretty much a one or two kicker, which wasn't bad for a home-built shovel with 11.5 to 1 pistons.

Other than flats, the only bikes to leave me stranded have been Hondas. Though I think on the whole Hondas are pretty good bikes I agree with seruzawa that frame breaking is a pretty dangerous condition compared to oil leaks and other nickle dime crap. Throw in faulty bank angle sensors on early ST1100's and 1500 Goldwings that can fail any time, or charging systems they still can't seem to get right after 20 years.

I agree with the majority of posts here that new bikes are fantastic. When you look at the amount of maintainance they need which, other than oil changes and valve adjustments is basically none its amazing how far they've come since the old days of riding with a pocket full of wrenches just to get from Ato B and back.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 10:07 AM   #17
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Pretty funny how all the posts end up -1 isn't it? This poor guy is a serious A-hole for sure. I've seen more maturity from a 3 year-old. I'm not sure I've ever seen this kind of stuff in my life. As for cap and seru turning over and being good, I don't see it happening. At least Buz ain't lying! hell, I won't claim to be anything other than crazy. Buz please respond to your buddy from now on. He's got the razor above his wrist and he's ready to slice away! LOL
Old 10-06-2003, 10:10 AM   #18
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

That 1500 Wing motor was as bulletproof as they come. What killed me is why they couldn't make an alternator last after 15 years of them crapping out, and my damn Wing came with a lead acid battery that needed to be checked all the time. I'm still puzzled by those things.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:36 AM   #19
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Well if you saw my post about Narcissistic Personality Disorder it all fits nicely.

Heck he was stalking me for a while. I was about to get an internet restraining order! lol

And no I'm not ever responding to his idiotic posts again. I think we're starting a nice little trend here.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 10:49 AM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

Don't bet on it being Kook. Steadyroller admitted that he'd been moderating my post comparing Italian motorcycles to Italian women (whom I dearly love) as degrading and demeaning. Apparently believing in diversity and free speech is only applies to certain approved types of speech.

So, I've learned my lesson. No more flamewars with people. Instead it's the party line for me from here on out.

signed,

The NewConvertedInoffensiveSeruzawa