Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 09-18-2003, 07:44 AM   #11
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Fire Destroys 650 Bikes @National Museum

Good point about oil/gas, but this would be a structural fire first so water then foam would be the best choice.

I wouldn't think the bikes would be stored with gas in them, it would be paint and plastic, possibly alu-u-min-eum and magnesium if it got hot enough

The best choice would be don't throw lit ciggerette butts in cardboard boxs next to air intakes.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2003, 07:49 AM   #12
sarnali
Founding Member

I read yesterday in MCN.UK that it was started by careless smoking outside near a pile of boxes that were stacked under a building air intake.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 05:53 PM   #13
obandoj
Founding Member

What a shame, I saw some footage of the aftermath and it looks terrible. I also heard that the fire was started by somebody's cigarrete outside!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 05:53 PM   #14
El_Duderino
Founding Member

You go! Rock on, Dude!
El_Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 04:26 AM   #15
grover750
Founding Member

I'm a field engineer for a commercial property insurance company, and would have to say that if the bikes did not have gas in them the fire would have easily been controlled by sprinkler protection. With gas in the tanks, it would really be anyone's guess what would happen. What I bet happened here is that the building was on fire, not the bikes, then it got powerful enough and spread to the bikes.

Europeans are much less likely to install sprinklers in their buildings than we are, they tend to rely on preventing fires from starting. Really strange that whomever was running the museum didn't have any sprinklers. You can install sprinklers for about $1.50 / sq. ft., cheaper than some carpeting.

The other possibility is that the place had sprinklers, but a valve was shut.

I'd bet this place was insured, but not by a company that puts much of an emphasis on loss prevention. There are a few fly by night types out there that pop up when rates are high (like right now) some of them don't send out engineers to their insureds, they just roll the dice & play the odds, like auto insurance companies.
grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote