Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 09-16-2003, 07:50 AM   #11
rider_md
Founding Member

Default Re: Best Time to Buy?

oh yeah

HRCUSA and that other dude talking about shipping/handling/freight charges had great advice.

re: nweaver's side mounted radiator blurb,

it is true, in hot weather it can run umm... hot. and if you're put putting around in urban hot weather stop & go traffic, the fan will kick in.

like he said...overheat NO, just hot.
rider_md is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-16-2003, 07:55 AM   #12
rider_md
Founding Member

oh yeah,

if you have any other questions re: interceptor '02-'04 model line, feel free to ask me... leave an email or something.

mine's abs with hardbags.

i commute with it daily,

been touring with it once this past summer, and scrubbed the rear tire down pretty decently...
rider_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 08:20 AM   #13
chingbaby
Registered Member

Well, a dealer around here is closing out 2003 Sportster 883s already for $4900. Now that's cheap compared to the past....
chingbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 08:43 AM   #14
sarnali
Founding Member

I'll wait till they're paying $5500 to take one then maybe,,,
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 09:04 AM   #15
Holzar
Founding Member

This year, it seems the prices are lower than last. Last year, I didn't really see a drop here in Colorado until October and November. This year, however, the prices started low. I get the Rocky Mountain News every Saturday (when the sales are); I've seen 'O3 VFRs w/ABS as low as $8495. Earlier this summer, one store had non-ABS VFRs for $7795. Last year, I didn't see these prices until late in the season. This year, I'm not sure things are going to get a lot cheaper than they already are.

Old 09-16-2003, 09:22 AM   #16
Whatmough
Founding Member

I'd first settle on a model I want. Then shop it hard. Don't be afraid to use the internet to find a dealer willing to bargain. I live in NH and bought a H-D in MA a few years ago and saved myself thousands over the locals. They were tacking on 1,500 to 2,000 on and getting it. If you're willing to go a few extra miles it might pay-off. Also let the local dealer know if you found a better price and see if he's willing to match it. Shop the mfg.'s incentives as well. BMW was offering incredible deals last winter through this summer. Like others have said some dealers just don't move much, others are more motivated. So shop around. good luck
Whatmough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 09:48 AM   #17
travisyoung
Founding Member

where are you?
travisyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 10:11 AM   #18
SuperBill
Founding Member

I'm a member of the "buy slightly used" group. I have purchased both new and used motorcycles over the years, and even though I tend to keep my bikes a long time (10+ years), I enjoy leaving some $$ in my pocket when I buy-in. And modern motorcycles are so darn bullet-proof, itÂ’s unlikely that thereÂ’s something going on inside that isnÂ’t clearly evidenced by what you see on the outside.

Used bikes tend to be cheapest during the late fall and winter in these northern climes, but the real key to getting a good deal is being patient –something that is almost impossible if you don’t have a bike to ride while waiting. But if you can wait, there are some great deals to be had if you’ve got money in your pocket. In November of 2001, I paid $5,000 cash for a 1999 Honda VTR 1000, 5000 miles, mint condition with dealer service records. NICE!

Check out this monthÂ’s issue of Motorcyclist Magazine for their opinion of the "50 Best Used Bikes" and some hints on how to get the most used bike for the least money.

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 10:24 AM   #19
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Well, no wonder...

The 2003 is a paintshaking piece of crap, while the 2004 actually has, GASP, a rubber-mounted engine so the bike won't try to fling itself apart at a stop-light.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 10:41 AM   #20
kawazuki
Founding Member

While from a financial perspective the 'slightly used' motorcycle is a great deal, in that the instant depreciation hit has already been taken, the paranoia I always had was about buying the motorcycle that young Squidley had taken straight out of the box and redlined in first gear trying to wheelie himself into an early grave, and then decided he was too scared to ride. So it's a 1 year old R1 with only 500 miles on it? How much damage was done to that poor engine via improper break in procedure?

It's also important to note that I'm pedantic about following the manufacturers suggestions regarding the first 1000 miles, so my advice should be taken with a grain of salt. I don't know how important it is to follow them, and you can't exclude Grampa from the list of people who might have redlined the bike out of the dealer's lot just because he looks responsible, but I'd be more comfortable with something that has a reputation for being abused, in new state than used.

If you can find a responsibly owned used motorcycle, by all means, buy it.

-Kawazuki
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote