Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-19-2003, 09:51 AM   #11
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default No Cost Savings

I've had to work very hard to save money with my motorcycle. Starting with allowing my car to age well past its expiration date. That *may* have offset the intial cost of the bike and the insurance.

Then is all the gear I've bought. Jackets, suits, helmets, gloves, boots, heated vests, ack! I probably blow $500 a year on that kind of crap.

Mmmmm aftermarket parts. Exhaust system, new seat, windscreen, tail bag, tank bag, new bigger tail bag, electrical upgrades, pretty pieces. Should I admit that I blow a couple hundred every year on this stuff?

Save money on gas? Sure, while I'm commuting, but all that is lost when I spend an afternoon crusing around the lakes. 42mpg is great, unless you ride an extra 20 miles out of your way to hit some cool curves.

It is starting to sound like the the stereotypical shopper who hits the sales and goes broke and then says "but look how much I saved!"
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2003, 09:57 AM   #12
R1150GSugly
Founding Member

Default Re: Abandoning 4 wheels in L.A.?

Survived almost 7 years on two wheels in LA, lived in Echo Park/Silver Lake late 80s, saw it all. Did it mostly on a '77 BMW R100S, with saddle bags, which you are going to need. By something cheap, slap come Givi bags on it, and ride. When you wear out the cheap bike, buy another and transfer the begs. A beater SV650 with a small 1/4 fairing would do the trick. Think disposable.
R1150GSugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 02:22 PM   #13
steve_griffiths
Founding Member

I think saving money is the wrong reason to ride a bike, However, if you work in a major city e.g. Portland OR, parking is $150 a month for a car, or $30 a month for a bike, so in theory if you start with a used SV650 (or GS500 like I did) you can pretty well pay for the bike and the gear with the parking and gas savings. You still need to want to ride

Good Luck.... Grif

steve_griffiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 06:27 PM   #14
SHMac96
Founding Member

This guy must be a real redneck dumbass.
SHMac96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 08:39 PM   #15
Nplateau
Founding Member

Screw all them big chuggers, get yo'self a Kawasaki Ninja 250. You can get one super cheap, ride it for a year or two while learning the finer points of motorcycling, rev the pee out of it without getting into too much trouble, and get 70 mpg. After which, if you decide that motorcycling is definitely the thing for you. Get a bigger bike.

For suckas that laugh, all I can say is go ride one. I too was once dismissive about the Ninjette, but now I know that it's an absolute hoot to ride and a great entry level carver.
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 10:17 PM   #16
xlr8r
Founding Member

Default Re: I had two wheels in LA

Dating without a car will definitely require some adaptation. You'll have to get a really good wall-planner/calendar/similar for a start, because the babes will be fighting to get time with you and you'll need to remember all the names... Dating with a bike means never being without a date, in my experience! Go for it!
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 06:08 AM   #17
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Having plied the dangerous streets of Los Angeles on a motorcycle for over 30 years now, I have a few suggestions:

#1: Get some first class health insurance.

#2: A will, or living trust.

#3: Ride as if every car you see is

trying kill you, because they are.

#4: Learn which cars have flimsy side view

mirrors.

#5: Learn wich cars have really strong side

view mirrors.

#6: Avoid Volvos at any cost.

#7: Try and purchase a bike that won't get it's

engine stuck between two moving cars.

That's about it. Good luck. Remember, wear your helmet, ride safe, preserve nature. And kick a big dent in the door of that next car that cuts you off.

TTFN.

MC

Old 08-20-2003, 07:44 AM   #18
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Here are some safe riding tips from a 1959 Honda 150 Dream Owners Manual:

1. At the rise of the hand by Policeman, stop rapidly. Do not pass him by or otherwise disrespect him.

2. When a passenger of the foot, hooves in sight, tootel the horn trumpet melodiously at first. If he still obstacles your passage, tootel him with vigor and express by word of mouth, warning Hi, Hi.

3. Beware of the wandering horse that he shall not take fright as you pass him. Do not explode the exhaust box at him. Go soothingly by.

4. Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

5. Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon. Press the brake foot as you roll around the corners, and save the collapse and tie up.

Remember the festive dog!

Old 08-20-2003, 07:57 AM   #19
micty
Founding Member

I concur.
micty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 09:23 AM   #20
giuliom
Registered Member

I ride a lot in LA. I do have a car, but I would say it's 75% bike, 25% car. I commute by bike. I use a Nighthawk 750, which handles easily the 75-85 mph speed of the freeway when it flows, and is very low maintenance. I put about 12000 miles on the bike in the last 12 months and all I do is change the oil and filter, clean the air filter, lube the cables, check the tires. That's about it (self-adjusting valves, see...). It's a great commuter and I can take it on the Crest and not embarrass myself (you'd be surprised what it can do). As for the rest: buy the best protective gear and I second the list already posted, especially: ride as if every driver is out to kill you: most of them are, or are talking on their cellphones (same thing)
giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote