Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-13-2003, 08:05 AM   #11
James_Brown
Registered Member

Default Re: Ural Hogs

CW printed a satirical review of one back in the 80s. The "reviewers" were a couple of hillbillies with cold war era paranoia.
James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2003, 08:22 AM   #12
acecycleins
Founding Member

I've been told that the US importer does the same thing that the UK importer does. The US guys also bump the cc size. I am unclear as to what the motor mods are but it has increased reliability because there are several modern-day BMW parts on the bike after the mods. Heck, I've got a 5yo that would love to ride with dad more often. I'd get one if it was reliable.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:59 AM   #13
12er
Founding Member

Motorcyclist TV or one of the shows on speed did a thing on the Ural. They verified what you have heard. The importers replace gaskets, heads, bolds you name it to make it road worthy.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 10:32 AM   #14
bigjames
Premium Member

break them in EXACTLY like the manual says, remember that you are riding a bike designed prior to WW2 and they will serve you well.....

Have several in the Georgia Sidecar Club, they are a hoot. The MOFO staff is probably just to scared to even try riding a sidecar rig anyway......

One word of advice, get a 750, they are much better than the old 650s...

BigJames

aka, President, Georgia Sidecar Club
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 07:22 PM   #15
Vlad
Registered Member

I've not only ridden a Ural, I took a 700 mile, three up trip on one. The perfect place for one is the Blue Ridge Parkway. With the low speed limit, you can haul the Ural up and down the mountains. Yes, they are underpowered. I had the standard, one wheel drive sidecar model. The brakes suck, and they're unreliable. If you can't do basic mechanical work, forget it. BUT, they are an immense hoot. They are the most fun on dirt roads, where you can start sliding the sidecar around. I wouldn't recommend it for freeway travel, but for putting around the countryside, you'll have a ball. Oh, yeah, get the extended warranty and don't overheat the engine. Use premium grade gasoline.

I was sad the day that economic reality made me cut back to one bike. The Ural had to go. But I can recommend it for those days when you just want to cruise down a country road.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 07:50 AM   #16
xlr8r
Founding Member

Not quite, but the UK importer does improve them quite a bit. Try their website at www.f2motorcycles.co.uk for more info/opinions/pictures/prices etc. ( no, I don't work for them, but I paid them a visit and they're cool people)
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 01:25 PM   #17
captaincrunch76
Founding Member

thanks for the link, how can anyone not like the tank-like look of this thing. i would really consider buying a used one for 4k or so. i think i would put a custom ww2 paint job on it. there is no way anyone would mess with a guy riding one of those.
captaincrunch76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 01:27 PM   #18
captaincrunch76
Founding Member

i am considering this bike, sidecars are so darn expensive. do you have any links for some good sidecar sites?
captaincrunch76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 10:04 PM   #19
Moblab
Founding Member

I believe a seller on eBay frequenly has the Ural sidecars (detached from the bikes) for about $1200 US including a "universal" mounting kit.

Though authenticity is great, I would rather spend time riding a bike than maintaining it. The same $4K you'd spend on a Ural could buy an older UJM, a sidecar, some fabrication work, and evan a dandy paintjob to tie them together. The result would be fast enough for freeways and more reliable to boot.