Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-11-2003, 07:55 AM   #11
torrnado
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Communicators

i have to say that shucking out $300 for a chatterbox really pisses me off. it's way too much money for a simple two way radio, although my riding buddies constantly push me to get one. quite handy to have though for reasons already mentioned.

question: why does my motorcycle habit cost me so much money!? i think it'd be cheaper smoking crack!
torrnado is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2003, 08:11 AM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

and the *****ezz are betta too!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 08:28 AM   #13
Woody650
Founding Member

I've used the entry-level Chatterbox FRS system...

They worked well, but only after we took some time to get everyone in my riding group "dialed in." Some had the mic too close, some to far. Unfaired bikes trip the VOX very easily, and there's nothing worse than hearing someone else's wind noise in addition to your own. Plus that "takes over" the channel so you can't communicate anymore.

Also, we had to learn to activate the VOX with something like "uhhh.." before speaking, or it would cut off the first spoken word or syllable.

We tried push-to-talk and preferred it, but another button on the bars and more wires makes this less convenient than VOX.

However, I cannot recommend the Chatterbox due to poor quality. My group of 4 has gone through 8+ units. They stop working, knobs break, etc. This, and the amount of adjustment describe above required to get them to work well, has caused us to abandon them altogether.

I *do* however like their rider-to-passenger unit. It's wired full duplex, not VOX, so it sounds like you're talking on a telephone....
Woody650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 09:01 AM   #14
mattg
Founding Member

go to autocomamerica.com. The ratings that these systems get make them appear to be second to none. I've done buisness with top gear accessories before and have nothing but good things to say about them.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:48 AM   #15
Alaskan18724
Founding Member

I guess there are times when radios/intercoms/smoke signals/drums are desirable. I just don't like them when I'm riding. I've done the family thing for years, and I highly recommend it for those so inclined, but motorcycles just seem to be a good place to find relief from oral communication. I remember once in the dark ages, before cellular phones, interviewing with a law firm that had phones in the bathroom stalls. Didn't take me long to figure out that particular firm wouldn't be a good fit. These days, time on the bike is about the only "time away." BTW, I figured out a long time ago that bikes were great for marriage, largely because riding two-up necessitated close physical contact with no oral communication. If she needs something, she squeezes me. Cool.
Alaskan18724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 01:25 PM   #16
cherryriver
Founding Member

I never, ever thought I'd be able to tolerate having electronics on my bike. Then, I married someone I liked talking to and she learned to like traveling on bikes. The downside was that after an unfortunate demo ride, she insisted on getting a Gold Wing for when we were two-up. The big shock was how much I came to like the intercom. I have long since decided it's a huge convenience and an important safety factor. In an emergency, I am able to let the passenger know something's up for some advance warning.

She won't go on the back of my ZX1100, but if she did, I'd get a (high-priced) J&M Audiopak, as I once had. Our group uses CB radios, and despite the PTT annoyance, it does seem to offer the best overall usefulness. The Audiopak integrated the CB and everything else almost perfectly.
cherryriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 01:39 PM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

Oh jeeeez. A Harley guy recommending hand signals.

I thought you only knew one hand signal. Admittedly, it has a variety of uses. But your wife might take the wrong meaning. Or the right one. It's hard to tell.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:01 PM   #18
Buzglyd
Founding Member

She must have taken it the wrong way because I'm divorced.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 06:11 AM   #19
SparkyBlue
Founding Member

Some friends and I did 4 days in CO; all with a different radio setup. Mine the Chatterbox FRS-X2 with noise reducing mike. The VOX works ok up to about 65, then the wind makes it impractical with a low sport windshield. Used the PTT with good success with it velcro'd on the handlebar. Sound quality is good for speech, sucks for music. Don't know if this is a speaker issue or what. Also wired my radar to it as well. These things are limited on a sport bike with a low windshield; too much competing wind noise.
SparkyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 10:55 AM   #20
jpcutler
Founding Member

I hope that guy married Vik. If not, what's her number? She might just have enough patience to deal with me.
jpcutler is offline   Reply With Quote