Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-04-2003, 01:05 PM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: AMA and Cali DMV

Doesn't affect them one whit. All that performance gear is labelled "for off-road use only" anyhow.

Don't laugh. There's an old old picture somewhere of Joe Parkhurst (founder of Cycle World... lord my age is showing) scrambling on on a stripped Shovelhead.

Someone might still have the old mag. My mother threw all my old Cycle Worlds away sometime when I was overseas in '70...DRAT!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2003, 02:00 PM   #12
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

I've seen that picture. Hey what about the guys our age that scrambled on British twins? I've actually ridden a 650 BSA Hornet scrambler back when people still thought that type of bike was suitable for off road riding. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 05:09 PM   #13
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

<blockquote>"I'm not one to defend SUVs, but just because they guzzle gas doesn't mean that they pollute heavily."</blockquote>

I don't know how they compare to dirt bikes, but SUVs do pollute heavily compared to cars. This is because SUVs are exempt from clean air laws which apply to cars.</p>

Someone posted earlier: if we're serious about clean air, it's SUVs we should go after.</p>
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 05:32 PM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default That's old news now

SUVs had different standards because they were classified as trucks. Most manufacturers (Ford, etc.) have made their SUVs as clean as cars.

And it's not like SUVs were super dirty. A new SUV is about 1000 times cleaner than a 68 VW bus rattling around with an Earth First! sticker on the back.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 05:34 PM   #15
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default PJ O'Rourke once said

At least when Republicans destroy the economy, loot the treasury and pollute the environment, someone makes a buck off of it.

Democrats do it just for fun.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:50 PM   #16
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default I don't know...

Most manufacturers have made their SUVs as clean as cars? I find this difficult to believe...</p>

I don't question your integrity. It's just that your claim doesn't makes sense.
The manufacturers lobbied long and hard to make sure SUVs would remain exempt from clean air laws. Why would they then go and make SUVs cleaner?</p>

Okay, I just did a quick internet search. Looks like the E.P.A. data for the 2003 model year contradicts your claim that SUVs are as clean as cars. Have a look at fueleconomy.gov.</p>

There's also another consideration. Even if SUV emissions were as clean as cars, SUVs still put more polution into the air. Here's why...</p>

Let's say a car and an SUV travel the same distance. Because the SUV gets poorer gas mileage, it must burn more fuel to cover the same distance as the car. So even if "polution per gallon" is the same, the SUV uses more gallons; hence produces more polution.</p>
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 02:43 AM   #17
ducfast
Founding Member

I'm sorry guys, I can't help it.....

I can commute to work on a street legal, motard, RMX250-R and yet you say you live in the land of the free?

bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
ducfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 04:25 AM   #18
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: I don't know...

I know Ford voluntarily did it. The manufacturers didn't lobby to keep the SUVs "dirty". They wanted them classified as trucks because of CAFE. Big cars were screwing up their CAFE averages yet the demand still exists so they tarted up some of their trucks. In essence you could say the government created the SUV because of the stupid CAFE rules prevented manufacturers from building cars people really want and offering silly GEO metros and the like that nobody buys just to keep their CAFE scores in line.

I agree with you about the fuel consumption thing. However, even these "dirty" SUVs are still far cleaner than cars of just a few years ago. It's not like they have no pollution controls as the media and the extreme left would have you believe. I think SUVs are lame too their just not "evil."
Old 08-05-2003, 05:33 AM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

I remember going to see races in L.A. back in the early 60s where these guys were still scrambling on XLCHs. Can you imagine how much physical strangth it would take to race an XLCH off road?
Old 08-05-2003, 05:37 AM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: That's old news now

Yeah! And the SUV driver is also cleaner than the Earth Firster.