Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-01-2003, 06:08 AM   #11
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda Q1 Sales

Some hondas may be push rod twins, but they are water pumpers. I'm not sure if Honda is currently selling any air cooled street bikes in the US.
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2003, 06:44 AM   #12
cybris
Registered Member

Honda does not sell any pushrod motorcycles in the u.s.. However they do have two air cooled bikes the nighthawks.
cybris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 07:45 AM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Superb

Wow! I never knew there were so many consumers who are so willing to help corporations rip them off.

Seriously, I can get parts for my old '67 Ford pick up for about the same that parts for a new trcuk would cost, maybe less. A 4000% markup is still a ripoff no matter how you look at it.

Actually, one of the things that contributes a lot to the cost of import parts in the US is the tariffs charged on those parts. Domestic manufacturers can buy the same parts at a fraction of what we pay for them. That's another reason that the Japanese have opened plants in the U.S.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:47 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

It's Yammerhammer that's ripping of the knucklehead tech with the RoadStar series.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:33 AM   #15
v2-90
Founding Member

The Shadow series are all SOHC, liquid cooled v-twins. Even the Rebel is a SOHC air cooled twin. Although they may not be as high-tech as their sportbike cousins, a SOHC, three-valve, liquid-cooled motorcycle engine is hardly "low-tech."
v2-90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 09:40 AM   #16
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

It's always way more expensive to buy parts than a whole machine. Building a new CBR from parts would cost >$30K and a cheapo car would probably be worse yet.

Still, one can pay far less than msrp. I find Western Honda and Bike Bandit undercut my local dimwit dealer by half. Of course, you don't get that great customer service and knowledge that your local dealer provides. But then again, local dealers rarely carry parts or knowledge, so forget that last item.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 09:41 AM   #17
blitz
Founding Member

Default Re: Superb

Dunderhead? Do you *really* think Honda built a supply of CDI boxes 25 years ago knowing that just about every CX 500 made with its CDI system would suffer from a CDI failure? Wrong. Honda, just like any competent corporation, keeps track of parts failures, estimates how many are going to fail, and contracts with its suppliers (Hitachi in this case) to make enough over time to meet the demand. Honda knows they have you over a barrel in this situation, and charges accordingly.

Given the fact that problems with the CDI boxes are well documented, Honda has to build a reasonable annual volume. I paid $10 for the parts in the CDI, and that is buying in quantity one. Even if it did cost Honda $20 to purchase these in volume from Hitachi (which it doesn't), a profit margin of 2000% seems a bit steep.

BTW, I built my own replacement and a three spares for $40. My $400 bike lives on.
blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 09:54 AM   #18
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: never mind.

Apparently I was mistaken. I knew Yamaha had an a/c pushrod twin, I thought Honda did as well,

my bad.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 01:56 AM   #19
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Yep, Those knuckleheads must have cost some real serious R&D. Yamaha is stealing Harley Tech. Now that's funny!
Old 08-02-2003, 06:22 AM   #20
F451
Founding Member

Well, if they keep laying two-tire-turds (TTT) such as the Rune (otherwise called the Goose-Gutted-Goldwing (GGG)) then maybe there is a reason for their downturn.

Hey MO when are you doing a review of the TTT or GGG?
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote