Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-17-2011, 06:33 AM   #1
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Default Buzz Won't Like It

But I do! I really hope Honda has either a VFR or one of these at Daytona this year, I haven't ridden their 1200 V-4, and I'd like to. Not interested in the Dual-Clutch, but this ADV model with the same drivetrain looks very interesting.

Honda's V4 Crosstourer GS-rival gets sporty edge - | Motorbike reviews | Latest Bike Videos | MCN

After all...a V-4 is the best possible engine layout for motorcycles!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2011, 06:45 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

So, it looks like Adventure Tourers are going to be pushing 600lbs now. Gotta love it.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Compare the Specs

BMW is still the superior machine. Weight is still an issue with the other manufacturers.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 11-17-2011 at 12:10 PM.
jmdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdonald View Post
BMW is still the superior machine. Weight is still an issue with the other manufacturers.
Ahem. Except the Triumphs and KTMs. The 1050 Tiger is a bit lighter than the 1200GS. I think the 990 KTM is also. All are around 500 wet.

Last edited by seruzawa : 11-17-2011 at 07:39 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
So, it looks like Adventure Tourers are going to be pushing 600lbs now. Gotta love it.
The GS line has always been in that range, as are most of the others in the liter size range. Even the new Triumph 1200 is 570 lbs dry, and it's about as "minimalist" as a bike can be. But, they seem to get the job done for anything but the most technical trails. And with 90% on-pavement riding, its a moot point for most.

The new Explorer 1200 looks really good; 950 watt power supply (and self-regulated too, no burning itself out) for heated gear etc. Come standard with cruise control and T/C. Triumph is really on their game.
Triumph Explorer - Technical Benefits

Last edited by The Spaceman : 11-17-2011 at 07:43 AM.
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:46 AM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

A V4 for an Adventure Tourer seems a little complex. You won't be doing the Dakar rally with this.

And I've seen your Barbie car Kenneth. You're not as macho as you think.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:47 AM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Ahem. Except the Triumphs and KTMs. The 1050 Tiger is a bit lighter than the 1200GS. I think the 990 KTM is also. All are around 500 wet.

My money's on the 1215 Tiger Explorer to replace my GS when the time comes, I'd personally have a hard time going back to a porker after riding the reletively light GS, 500lbs or below works best. Over that and you need a chain fall and some lifting straps in your tool bag just to pick the SOB up.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
A V4 for an Adventure Tourer seems a little complex. You won't be doing the Dakar rally with this.

And I've seen your Barbie car Kenneth. You're not as macho as you think.
Complex schomplex; aside from oil, filters, and accessories, my bikes to to the shop. I'm not going to Africa on a bike and I don't plan on riding out of cell-phone coverage here.

Say what you will about the Mini...at least I didn't go ga-ga for the gayest bike of 2012!
Old 11-17-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Complex schomplex; aside from oil, filters, and accessories, my bikes to to the shop. I'm not going to Africa on a bike and I don't plan on riding out of cell-phone coverage here.

Say what you will about the Mini...at least I didn't go ga-ga for the gayest bike of 2012!

As long as you're not wearing socks and sandle's while driving it you should be OK....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Great Bikes

Quote:
I have great respect for the Tiger 1050 and the KTM. For me when you add in things like shaft drive, dealer network and accessory refinement the BMW is better. If I had an adventure bike I doubt I would ever ride it on anything other than the street or occasional fire road so maybe the close to 600lb. wet weight isn't an issue. The new Tiger sure does look like the ticket. Depending on the price it may prove to be the go to bike in this catagory. I hope they have one at the moto show in Long Beach this December. Great input Guys by the way.