Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 07-11-2003, 03:46 AM   #1
r1der
Founding Member

Default How will this be different from the current Formula Ducatic series?

Who cares, stop watching and start riding your own track days and novice races!
r1der is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2003, 04:35 AM   #2
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: WSB Mfgs. Qutting

What a great opportunity for Harley to return and Triumph to gain some podium exposure!

Seriously, if you have ever wondered what clear and concise writing looks like, reread the Secretary General's letter. I may not have a firm grasp of all of the issues involved but the construction of that letter is quite the piece of work.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 06:24 AM   #3
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: Seriously?

What is the cause for the withdrawal, the rule change itself or its timing? To what provision do they object?
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 06:40 AM   #4
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Saber Rattling

I think this is a MSMA tatic to let the WSB folks know not to be unreasonable. I don't think they will follow through on their threat. Actually as long as there are AMA races and MotoGP races I am happy. World Supersport is interesting and apparantly not threatened and is more popular than ever. WSB has become the Ducati cup so who cares.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 06:41 AM   #5
nokneedragin
Founding Member

The last I heard, they (WSB) are going to implement a "spec" tire rule. Basically saying that all competitors must ride on Pirelli tires.

I also think they are talking about going to a DOT tire requirement, not sure on that one.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 06:53 AM   #6
SRMark
Founding Member

I have no idea what, specifically, is being objected to in the letter by the Secretary. So much for my "clear" argument. And your point is well taken. Upon further review of the content vs. volume, I don't think that it was particularly concise either. I guess I just liked the phrasing of the letter. Few writers write that clearly anymore (me included, obviously).
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 07:56 AM   #7
cornercarver
Founding Member

So is that the end of World Superbike? Or is this just a negotiating move by the manufacturers to get what they want? I had no intention of going to Laguna this weekend, anyway, as the world superbike race will be boring, and I'd rather see AMA racing at the much less crowded Sears Point venue without the world championship races. I figured SBK was toast in the near future, but didn't think it would happen so quickly.

It's a sad day for us consumers, since it will be a good long while before we really see numerous bikes based on GP technology in the stores, and now there are fewer opportunites to see the bikes we ride on the race track. Thank god we aren't still watching an endless series of Honda walkaway victories in GP or things would get really boring. I'll be REALLY excited if Colin Edwards can get that Aprilia to do something interesting. I'd love to see both Italian manufacturers getting the jump on the rest of the Japanese field (underdogs are fun!). It us great to see Ducati up there, but as an Aprilia rider, it is disappointing that Aprilia didn't do it first.

By the way, I don't see why you guys are praising the clarity of writing, unless perhaps I am just missing the sarcasm? The thing is hardly a model for PR prose, if you ask me. Not bad for someone who is obviously not writing in their native tongue, though.
cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 08:07 AM   #8
Tigercub
Founding Member

I don't understand the rule change. Longride says it has to do with running SBK spec tires, but the comments from Tsubouchi are about air restricters. Is it more about who controls the rule-making process?

The races up to last year were fun to watch, but I don't much care about WSB anymore. I think the 600SS is a lot more fun - the bikes are all basically the same out of the box. Maybe AMA can help out WSB.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 10:03 AM   #9
Grover
Founding Member

I don't think it's about the tires, it's about the recent statements saying that WSB, AMA, BSB, and other superbike series are planning on unifying their rules to be similar to the AMA's. This has the manufacturers cheesed because they've probably been spending money in the off season developing bikes that run the air restrictors required by the current WSB rules. Now WSB is planning on changing the requirements half way through this season, and all that money spent on development is in the sh!tter. I'd be pretty pissed off too.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 10:56 AM   #10
cornercarver
Founding Member

Sure, but without world super bike, they'll inevitably wind up pushing more resources at AMA, BSB, etc, which will result in the exact same R & D work they'll have to do to stay in WSB. On the other hand, I'd rather see AMA superbike have more factory support, since I can actually go to see the races, meet riders, cornerwork, etc. World Superbike is just a big tv event for us, and not that involving... especially this year.
cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote