Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-23-2011, 05:16 AM   #1
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool RIP Marco Simoncelli

Race Direction press conference: Marco Simoncelli

Sunday, 23 October 2011
Members of the Race Direction Paul Butler, Claude Danis, Franco Uncini and Javier Alonso were joined by Medical Director Michele Macchiagodena at a press conference to explain the circumstances of Marco Simoncelli’s death at the Sepang circuit on Sunday.
Paul Butler opened the press conference, saying: “The purpose of this press conference is to appraise you of the circumstances that resulted in the tragic death of Marco Simoncelli. You know who we all are, the Race Direction; Claude Danis who is the FIM representative, Javier Alonso the Dorna representative, Franco Uncini the riders’ representative, and I’m Paul Butler the IRTA representative and Race Director. Michele Macchiagodena is our Medical Director and he will explain to you the circumstances that resulted in this death.”
Michele Macchiagodena said: “I’m very sad to be here to report about the death of Marco Simoncelli, a friend. Because of the crash he had during the race, in which he was hit by other riders, he suffered a very serious trauma to the head, to the neck and the chest. When our medical staff got to him he was unconscious. In the ambulance because there was a cardiac arrest they started CPR (cardiac pulmonary resuscitation). Immediately in the Medical Centre, with the help also of the Doctor of our staff at the Clinica Mobile and local Doctors, he was intubated and it was possible to take off some blood from the thorax. The CPR was continued for 45 minutes because we tried to help him for as long as we thought it was possible. Unfortunately it was not possible to help him and at 16:56 (local time) we had to declare he was dead.”
Paul Butler responded to a question about Marco Simoncelli’s helmet coming off in the crash by saying: “I think if I may reply, that will be for another occasion. Quite clearly the consequences and circumstances surrounding the accident will be thoroughly investigated.”
Answering a question about the condition of Colin Edwards, who was involved in the incident, Michele Macchiagodena said: “He had a dislocation of the shoulder and with anaesthesia the shoulder now is in the correct position. He is fine.”
Paul Butler concluded the press conference by adding: “Our sympathies go to his family and we want to show every respect possible to Marco.”
TAGSMalaysiaMarco Simoncelli

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2011, 05:54 AM   #2
pdad13
Founding Member

God, this is terrible.

I was looking forward to watching the race today. Now I'm just sick.

RIP, Marco.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

This is terrible news. So sad! And, only a week after Dan Wheldon's passing.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Rick Huseman was also killed on Monday (albeit in a plane crash).

"The Law of Threes".
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
cloud9
Registered Member

A charismatic guy that certainly made things interesting in the field, it's a shame he had to go so early in his career. Say what you want he was a skillful rider with loads of potential.

Insane are called those who deal with death

Masters are called those who seal the deal

Legends are called anyone of those who die in their quest.
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:04 AM   #6
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud9 View Post
A charismatic guy that certainly made things interesting in the field, it's a shame he had to go so early in his career. Say what you want he was a skillful rider with loads of potential.
Bull****. He was a putz with balls too big for his brain. He rode beyond his skill level and hurt other riders. It's too bad he's dead, but my sympathies are with his family, not him. It better that he took himself out before he killed, maimed, or wrecked the career of other riders.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
Momentum
Registered Member

Default RIP Simoncelli

A sad loss to the sport, thoughts are still with his friends and family
Old 11-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Wink Rip Marco!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Bull****. He was a putz with balls too big for his brain. He rode beyond his skill level and hurt other riders. It's too bad he's dead, but my sympathies are with his family, not him. It better that he took himself out before he killed, maimed, or wrecked the career of other riders.
I think many people have this opinion but don't voice it out of respect for Marco Simochelli and his family. As for me I couldnt help but to question did he have a chance to throw the bike away or was he desperately trying to save it? If he was trying to save it, thats what imo would implicate his guilt.

I agree with the statement's racing is racing, and thats just racing. However when you make a pass like Simo did on Pedrosa earlier this year and you take him out without any chance of even remotely making the corner that's NOT racing thats just dangerous.