Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 07-01-2003, 03:25 PM   #1
jstrain
Founding Member

Default Re: The Solitary Rider

Amen. I had to run some Vacation Bible School papers over to someone's house, so I figured I might as well take the bike. What a wonderful idea. I am just outside Philadelphia, and we are just coming off of about 2 months of straight rain. As I left that perosn's house, I took my good old time getting home. The weather was perfect. The bike ran perfectly. All those nagging thoughts blew out of my head with the wind. Rides like this one make me remember why I started riding in the first place.

I love riding with my wife or friends, but sometimes nothing beats just getting on your bike and riding by yourself. Thanks for the writeup.

Jeremy
jstrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2003, 05:32 PM   #2
thecrumb
Founding Member

Damn you as I sit here looking at the radar and watching what's left of Tropical Storm Bill head my way...
thecrumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 04:46 AM   #3
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Nice writing and riding there pretty mouth. A few years ago I rode the Harley to work and found out along the way that it was 18 F out and it was darned near impossible to take without good ear protection. I was miserable by time I got to the plant and was worried about frost bite but lucked out. People must have thought I was out of my mind but they were almost right. Out of body experience and all when its that cold and your on the bike.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 04:58 AM   #4
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Back in 1972 when I was 16 I used to ride my CL350 Honda to work about 4 or 5 miles from home to the Henry's Hamburger joint. I remember it was winter in Iowa and trying to kick start that bear in the snow after work in the dark was near impossible. Eventually it would get started. My right leg must have been huge. Anyway, I'd ride it home in zero weather and lean over at stop lights to grip the pipes to warm my gloved hands. I also used to get up early to check traps out in the country and do it on the Honda. To this day I've got frost bite marks on my cheeks, kinda moddled skin. My folks always thought I was nuts but let me do most anything I wanted as I recall. There wasn't any computers to play with back then so we made do with outdoor activities. Rain, shine, snow or sleet, it didn't matter. I rode my bike year round. I'd be breaking snow on the streets and have to stop and knock the snow out of my spokes otherwise it was like riding with square tires. Those were the days.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 05:24 AM   #5
Pain_Seraphiin
Founding Member

There was a time in my earlier riding days when I liked riding with others. I was ****ier and my friends were not as good, so we were all cool at rode as a back, taking turns leading and learning from one another.

Later as accidents occurred and I started fearing god more, I slowed down and the friends got faster.

Then attitudes became "take no prisoners!". Now of course I could ride at my pace, as they always said I could do. But the male ego is a controlling beast. I would ride over my head and/or focus on other riders and not my own game.

So now I ride by myself. I ride alot. Not just from hang-out to hang-out, but easily put 200 to 300 miles on a weekend. In my helmet by myself, focused on my riding technique, but also slowing down occassionally to look at the countryside.

If I see I interesting side road out in the country I try it and don't worry about the wishes of others or about holding anybody up.

Motorcycle riding is about individualism, not the "Le'ts hog 2 lanes of a 2 lane highway, cuz we be cool" mentality.

I salute the solo riders. When I see you riding out in the middle of nowhere by yourself, I know you have been on somekind of adventure and you did not require..............

a support group to hold your hand.

PS: LOL, riding with cool groups can be a hoot too. I'm a hipocrit.
Pain_Seraphiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 06:42 AM   #6
lesmesa
Founding Member

Very nice, okartguy. The computer, the phone, the desk, the paper, the beige modular "walls" of work all gave way to the lonesome and beautiful lay of the Oklahoma countryside, to the music of an Italian twin. The loner rides in a sensory smorgasbord; contemplates the greater reality that we've subjugated to the Daily Grind. Thank -insert diety of choice here- for motorcycles . . . . . . . . and some time to ride them.
lesmesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 07:10 AM   #7
obandoj
Founding Member

Helmets make great ear protection.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 11:08 AM   #8
maladg
Registered Member

Nothing in front of me but an empty road and "nothing above my shoulders but the sky". Most of my bike rides are solo these days....and it is just fine. Good work.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 04:16 PM   #9
Blue_Dogg
Founding Member

Sup all, sorry to rain on everyone's parade on remebering all of their most beautiful rides... but I could only get halfway through this story. Shed tears for a moment... I am a victim. A victim of an attempted murder. The murderer was yeilding a very dangerous BMW 7 series. I, the hapless victim, was on my way to work on my CBR 1100 when said assailant accelerated, with narry a glance, across 3 lanes of traffic to broadside me. Its been one month since the crime has been commited and everyone tells me how fortunate I am to have escaped with my life, and ONLY two broken legs. I LOVE RIDDING, and I don't know if I will buy another bike. I have ridden for 3 years, and while that may not be a loooong amount of time it pains me that I am letting my fear of STUPID people possibly keep me from riding again. I need some other opinions aside from those bouncing in my head. I also need some lube for my wheelchair, but who cares about a guy run over in a motorcycle accident...
Blue_Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 06:38 PM   #10
George99S3T
Founding Member

At least it was a nice car with good insurance.

My friend got nailed last year by a no insurance- illegal alien, yeah the guy got deported my friend lost his house. I think your riding days are over. Its only a hobby. As my wife says " buy a convertible" with some of the near misses I have had lately she might be right.
George99S3T is offline   Reply With Quote