Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-20-2003, 05:53 AM   #51
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: it is clear to me ...

I've never hit my dear either. If I did she'd hit me back with a frying pan and that really hurts.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2003, 09:45 AM   #52
Hawkster
Founding Member

Default Re: you are right ...

ValkBandit writes:

"...irrespective of that, travis stands to lose every penny he's made, and a huge chunk of anything he makes in the future, to lawsuits and legal fees.

i hate it as much as you but it's a fact of modern life that anyone with money today has enormous bullseyes painted on their arses. the solution to the problem is simple: we must decide as a society to take responsibility for our own actions and for fate."

If they really are friends, I don't think Travis will be "targeted" by a lawsuit. But if we're talking about taking responsibility for one's actions, he may indeed lose every penny he's made and every penny he will make because that might just turn out to be the toll the injury takes on his friend's life. Who knows?

When I was younger, I was rear-ended by some guy when I was sitting in my truck at a red light. (Believe it or not, it was in the early days of brick cell phones.) Don't know if I had what you'd call whiplash, but the pain between my shoulder blades made it difficult to do my job, which consists of simply sitting at my computer for long periods of time. After $800/3 months of chiropractic treatment, paid by his insurance, I was good as new and have had no problems since. BUT, if he was going 5 MPH faster, who knows? I might have had back problems for the rest of my life? Or what if his insurance company wanted to make things tough for me and not allow my treatments right away? It's hard to judge how much injuries are worth when you don't know what effects you'll have years down the road.

Anyway, I truly hope this discussion is moot: that Travis and his buddies learned their lessons about riding/driving fast on public roads (regardless of the hour of day) and that his friend makes a full recovery.

Hawkster

PS. Yes, I've done stupid things too. So, I can't be too hard on anyone involved.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:46 AM   #53
clively
Founding Member

Default Re: Crawfishing?

Crawfishing is like back-peddling. A crawfish can move forward aggresively like if it's going to eat something. When they need to haul arse they go backwards flipping there tail. Some people talk the talk but when it's time to walk the walk they scoot back like a scaired crawfish.
clively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 12:12 PM   #54
ValkBandit
Registered Member

ahhh, sooo. crawfishing.

so it is better to lunge aggressively forward, getting your claws and antennae (analogous to travis' money and belongings) lopped off by the bad ol' crawfish fisherman (in this case the ambulance chasing attorneys).

let us examine the advantages of pastrana's brave lunge forward:

1) he got it off his chest

2) he has your undying admiration (and the admiration of others who have posted here)

at the cost of:

1) probably 90 percent his earthly possessions

2) a huge chunk of anything he acquires in the future

if it were me i think i'd be more inclined to pay a visit to my pal in private and tell him how sorry i am. i truly think travis IS sorry and that he's probably a very changed man. it might also make sense for him to apologize to the family. in private. for all i know he has already done this.

what exactly has he gained by his public mea culpa? will his friend feel better or recover quicker? will the family feel better about it than they would if he apologized privately, in person? maybe.

one more point: i'm old, see? probably much older than you. i've work hard for my money. i've got a kid who will start college soon. that's Big Money in california. i don't feel bad about trying to preserve what i have because at some point i want to stop working and point my dunlop for the horizon, never to return. all's i need is a tent and a couple of sleeping bag, and a few bucks for when the ol' lady insists on a shower.

young people look at money differently, i think. they think: if you WANT money and want to PRESERVE it, you are somehow greedy and unethical. you will find out soon enough that there is more to having money than champagne and caviar. then maybe you will see the prudence in protecting yourself.

then again, maybe not ...
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 01:48 PM   #55
clively
Founding Member

You got me all wrong. I agree with all you said (I just had 1/3 of my paycheck taken by the govt. alone). I meant that some people screw up and dont own up to it in any way. Some may own up to it in private, others do it publicly, as long as they do it instead of run from it. Such as "I didn't have sex with that woman".

We've all done things like Travis but he owned up to it really well and I respect him. I didn't mean that he was crawfishing.
clively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 05:28 AM   #56
ValkBandit
Registered Member

oh, i see. sorry that i misunderstood.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:32 AM   #57
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default Re: to be old and wise ...

i was going to argue with you, citing g.w. bush (aka the "little shrub") as a prime example of someone who was young and stupid but grew up to be president. then i realized that he is old and stupid in addition to being president, and i decided he was a poor example.

so maybe there is some truth to what you say ...
Old 06-23-2003, 07:21 AM   #58
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Letter from Pastrana

I don't think anyone here isn't complimenting him for his courage. Some just think this wasn't the smartest way to express that courage (and remorse).
Old 06-23-2003, 07:27 AM   #59
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

"ahhh, sooo. crawfishing."

I guess no one else understood the Japanese lingo there. Nice touch.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:15 PM   #60
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default Re: you are right ...

maybe travis and his friend will let bygones be bygones. but most attorneys will tell you that friendship is the first casualty when large sums of money are involved.

it is also true that some people actually DESERVE to be compensation. in my opinion they are the second casualties.

in the long run everyone loses. except the lawyers of course.