Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-19-2003, 04:55 PM   #41
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Letter from Pastrana

I live in the foothills of mt. Rainier right at the base of Chinook pass. The greenwater herd winters in this area so you see them quite a bit on the pass. Seeing 5 or 6 on the side of the road while you fly past about 90mph really puts the fear in you.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2003, 04:56 PM   #42
sarnali
Founding Member

oops

sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 05:45 PM   #43
kdurrell
Founding Member

*Sigh* Why is it that young people (like me) do stupid things? I guess we don't feel alive unless we are "toeing the line", so to speak. Sadly my most serious accident came while dawdling (and not really paying attention) on the way to work one day, if I had been going the speed limit the people I hit would have been dead. So what have I learned?

A: cars are not toys, they are not meant for "playing" on public roads.

B: inattention while piloting a 5000lb truck/suv can be lethal.

All I have to say is don't make the same mistake twice. I've made my share and I really don't want to repeat them. The best thing we can make of this is to pass it on to people under the age of... I dunno, 21?
kdurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 06:54 PM   #44
clively
Founding Member

Any charges from that night could be proved through accident reconstruction whether he talked or not. If you dance the dance then you pay the fiddler. This guy is paying the tax and has my admiration for doing it with class.

It makes me sick when I see/hear people screw up and try to get out by lying/crawfishing and say they are only wrong if others can prove it. Matt and Travis will both be in my prayers.
clively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:24 PM   #45
Grappelli
Registered Member

Well that was ****ing stupid wasn't it? There again when I did this when I was in my late teens and early 20's I was lucky. When I crashed no-one got hurt and I was able to get the car towed out of the field before anyone found out it was me. (It was a totally rusted Alpha so no-one noticed the car gone.)

Still that's not going to help anyone here. That was dumb Travis, but I hope it turns out ok for your friend and subsequently for you. Don't beat yourself up more than you really deserve, and I suspect you've already done enough of that.
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 04:30 AM   #46
SRMark
Founding Member

Life is about the continual development of character. Many kids will do what you've done, Travis. Many will never be injured, some will be hurt to varying degrees and some will die. The accident you had was not rare but owning up to it was. Some previous respondant said that you were not smart admiting your fault in this matter. True, you may, and probably will, have a significant financial loss. You have more accumulated wealth than most kids your age and a fair portion of that will go to your friend. Some how, I don't think that will concern you much. Your true concern is for your friend and that has added to your character development. You will carry your scars from this incident for the remainder of your life, as will your friend. But you will continue to grow. I have little worry about you turning out okay. You have true character and at a very early age. Hold on to your parents and friends. With them you will be ok. You can't unburn a match. I will pray for your friend as you have requested, as I will pray for you.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 04:42 AM   #47
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: Deer

Let me get this straight. Bob actually works below 35mph. Who'd a thunk it
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 05:58 AM   #48
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default it is clear to me ...

it is clear to me that you've never hit a dear. this is not a minor accident.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 06:00 AM   #49
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default Crawfishing?

ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 06:15 AM   #50
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: it is clear to me ...

It sure beats hitting a tree, though!