Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-19-2003, 07:11 AM   #11
obandoj
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Letter from Pastrana

Ahh, to be young and stupid. However lets not be too harsh on the lad, I for one was in a similar position many moons ago when I was young and stupid and learned very valuable lessons from it, and other escapades, and he has the stones to come out in public and admitt his guilt.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2003, 07:12 AM   #12
obandoj
Founding Member

Ahh, to be young and stupid. However lets not be too harsh on the lad, I for one was in a similar position many moons ago when I was young and stupid and learned very valuable lessons from it, and other escapades, and he has the stones to come out in public and admitt his guilt.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 07:52 AM   #13
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default to be old and wise ...

to be old and wise you must first be young and stupid. i'd wager that a good many of us have done stupid things that could easily have resulted in a similar catastrophe. i know I have.

i'm not sure if i admire him for his public statement or not. i think it massively exposes him to all sorts of legal actions. it will be interesting to see if the family of the young man who was injured is willing to forego getting their hands on travis' money (not to mention the money of the car maker, the county, the deer, etc., etc.).
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 07:56 AM   #14
BRIAN_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Deer

I think deer are thicker than mosquitos here in S. Michigan. Jackson county, where I live, has more per capita vehicle/deer accidents than anywhere in the state. I avoid riding outside of the city within 1 hour of sundown. Even when I ride in the middle of the day I see deer.

I wish they would allow more hunting of the critters!
BRIAN_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:07 AM   #15
cornercarver
Founding Member

What, noone on this website ever rides at supralegal speeds on country roads? What's with the criticism. He did what we all do (on 4 wheels, not 2, admittedly) and had an accident, just like many motorcyclists. It sucks, and I hope his friend makes a full recovery, but I absolutely understand what he was doing and don't fault him in the sightest for it. If his friend is a true friend, he'll collect from Pastrana's insurance company, and that will be the end of it...

--sam

cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:17 AM   #16
ValknMag
Founding Member

I can use some info here. I'm very cautious regarding deer from about an hour before sunset until an hour after. I've never been deer hunting, so I don't know their habits, but can anyone tell me when the REAL danger hours are for deer?
ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:19 AM   #17
ValkBandit
Registered Member

you don't "fault him in the slightest for it" ...?

gadzooks, man.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:57 AM   #18
rsheidler
Founding Member

Hell, I have done things almost that stupid when I was over 50!

If we were reading this account, with the only difference being that he was able to narrowly avoid the crash, most of us would be laughing along with Travis. It is only because of the outcome that it looks like such a stupid action.

The guys here who never ride/drive more than 5mph over the limit etc can feel justified in criticizing, the rest of us are hypocrits if we do so.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 09:06 AM   #19
rsheidler
Founding Member

I lived briefly in Milan a few years back and you are right about the number of deer in Jackson County.

You are right about within an hour of sundown, but I also have had quite a few close calls at all hours of the day or night.

Anybody know if those deer whistles actually work?

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 09:14 AM   #20
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

I'd venture to say that every "decent" person has done things that they regret, made mistakes. What is not nearly so common is a young man with the moral courage to admit openly both his "fault" and regret. I wish the best for both you and your friend. I also find a strength within you as a person that has caused me to have more respect than any amount of professional success could have. Travis, I believe your on the "right track" don't take advice on how to be a man from those that think like a lawyer.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote