Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-18-2003, 09:09 AM   #41
kawazuki
Founding Member

Default Re: PA Helmet Law Changing

I am, in fact, of the opinion that the government *does not* have the right to make us get driver's licenses, or pay income tax.

The government's roads... What a complete load. The government forcibly removes money from your wallet, and uses it to build roads, and you think that the roads belong to the government. Hot damn. If I ever get too hard up I'll just come mug you. You seem to think that theft re-assigns ownership.

The government is supposed to be *our* servant. Not the other way around.

As far as living in this country? I'm here because it's supposed to be the stronghold of Liberty and Freedom, and I still, somehow, believe that it can be returned to that state. When I finally lose that, hopefully I'll have found somewhere else to be. Why are you here? There are plenty of over-regulated and regimented hellholes on this planet already. Stop working to make this another one.

-Kawazuki
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2003, 09:15 AM   #42
tumbler
Founding Member

Okay I wrote this really long retort and then I got disconnected, damn dial up! Here's the gist: Let's stick to this particular helmet law, as I have said in other posts, not because I feel like I'm being out debated, but because We are getting off track. This legislation is for young riders (under 21) and new to the sport/hobby riders. This people probably don't have an appreciation for for how quickly and how badly that can get hurt on a street bike. Saying hey you need to wear at least a minimum amount of protection is a good idea. We can debate the meaning of what freedom in America is, but this law isn't tyrannical, oppressive, or unjust.
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:21 AM   #43
tumbler
Founding Member

Default Re: Tumbler

I thought that I pointed out earlier that not wearing a helmet can affect others, directly and in directly. There should only be laws that protect people from getting killed. So what Eron execs didn't was okay. We don't need laws for fraud and other non-lethal crimes?
Old 06-18-2003, 09:32 AM   #44
ValknMag
Founding Member

You, however, are advocating laws to keep people from getting hurt feelings.
ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:34 AM   #45
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I'm really trying to be patient here, and didn't Enron execs bilk many out of millions? They stole from people. What does that have to do with not wearing a helmet? Nothing I believe. And no, you didn't prove that affects anyone of any consequence but ME. Your "proof" can be regurgitated for any activity from online surfing to tiddly winks to couch potatos. What I do with my life should be mine, as long as it hurts nobody else. That is the ideal we should expect in this country. The freedom to be left alone. Whatever happens to me on a motorcycle, helmet or no, is my own personal responsibility, not yours, the government, or anyone else. Understanding that concept, while difficult, certainly makes sense.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:42 AM   #46
ValknMag
Founding Member

If we stuck to this one particular helmet law, there wouldn't be much to discuss. This thread was really started by your post trying to make the point that government laws should be all or nothing. Responding specifically to your post above, you say, "Saying hey you need to wear at least a minimum of protection is a good idea." Saying something is a good idea, and forcing people to do something, are not the same. I agree that beginners should wear helmets. Ohio law says that riders under 21 must wear helmets, and all riders their first year have 'Novice' on their motorcycle endorsement and are required to wear helmets. I think those are both VERY good ideas. I didn't know about all the dangers involved in riding when I got into it, and I doubt I know them all now. This seems more like something which should be addressed through training, rather than helmet laws. For example, I bought my first motorcycle while I still had only a learner's permit. I don't think anyone should be able to register a motorcycle without a motorcycle license. The Ohio riders test was about 10 minutes in a parking lot. No training, other than enough to pass the test, required. I would require passing an MSF or equivalent class before granting a motorcycle endorsement. This way, you have (as much as possible) an educated riding public, eyes open to the dangers of motorcycling, who can then be trusted to make their own decisions regarding their own lives.
ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:44 AM   #47
VMan_1
Founding Member

Wow, Tumbler, your inability to comprehend the issues is exhausting. Yes, Enron execs

are responsible for the “damages” they caused others.
VMan_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:46 AM   #48
obandoj
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmets for everybody, in cars...body armour in bright colors for two wheelers!

The helmet broke his neck? He should have laid her down to slow down first, since hitting the front brake would have made him go over the handlebars, right?

Bull*&#$.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:48 AM   #49
VMan_1
Founding Member

PERFECT!!!
VMan_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:51 AM   #50
tumbler
Founding Member

If you don't like pay income tax find or start a country that doesn't have it. You don't have to work here, but if you chose to you have to pay taxes. These taxes are allocated by ELECTED officials. Sorry this country is too big with too many different opinions for you to get decide where your individual extorted taxes go to. If you have a better way for 300,000,000 people to be completely free, but protected from tyranny and oppression (which having to wear a helmet is neither, just maybe uncomfortable), and not have to pay taxes, man then you have my vote for supreme chancellor and I definately want to live. But this is the real world where people take advantage of loop-holes (and it's not all corrupt politicians and laywes, it is plenty of everyday Joes), and people who either cannot see or don't care how their actions might affect others. Because of these people and those who felt cheated and wanted to to get back at a person, company, or the government, maybe in just somelittle almost insignificant way (like a kids who once shoplifted some baseball cards from a large store because he didn't have the money), this is ultimately why this country is the way it is. If no one ever stole or murdered, we wouldn't have laws against these things would we?