Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-18-2003, 08:38 AM   #31
drthompson65
Founding Member

Default Re: PA Helmet Law Changing

Even though I always wear a helmet I don't agree with Laws requiring people to wear helmets. It's going to take a while to change old habits. Just the other day I was sitting on my bike (without a helmet on) and the little 4 year old neighbor kid screamed at me "get your helmet on!" When I was a kid I didn't wear a helmet and now I see kids on bikes/rollerblades with tons of protective gear. Hopefully this change in today's youth will follow them to adulthoods. Ok enough of my mushy soap box.
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2003, 08:38 AM   #32
drthompson65
Founding Member

PS Join the AMA!
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 08:43 AM   #33
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Hey Puck!

I think I see the horse wigglin'. Ya better whack it again!
Old 06-18-2003, 08:47 AM   #34
ValknMag
Founding Member

I live here because, presently, it's the best choice. And I'm trying to get rid of income taxes. "If you're in the minority T.S." The majority opinion doesn't need protecting, the minority does. This is why all states have equal representation in the Senate, so Rhode Island doesn't get steamrolled by California. "I'll meet you at..." I already have my copy. Amendment X : "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." "So does the government..." Worse. Freedom to fail is as important as freedom to succeed. Do you think that your government providing health care or unemployement makes you a better person? Do you consider it charity? Let's put it in these terms : If you are robbed at gunpoint by someone who needs the money, is it charity? No, you think, because it is compulsory. You did not give to someone of your own free will. Now, if I don't pay my taxes, sooner or later guns will come into play, to imprison me or take my house or whatever. Taxes are compulsory, so don't feel good about helping people with your tax dollars. It does not make you a better person. I also object to my tax money going towards the National Endowment for the Arts, but I buy art works I like and support those artists whose work I like. "Oh and if you have a problem..." what law is going to lower taxes?
ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 08:47 AM   #35
bigjames
Premium Member

and folks who smoke are not a burden?

and folks who drive and have accidents with injuries are not a burden?

and folks who get old and end up using Medicaid are not a burden?

and kids in school are not a burden?

and corporations that go belly up making many folks go on unemployment are not a burden?

and folks on unemployment through no fault of their own are not a burden?

and the investigations as to why those companies went belly up is not a burden?

and Iraq is not a burden?

and the MANY federal protective services are not a burden?

and electoral costs are not a burden?

and subsidising medical reasearch for companies that then rip off Americans is not a burden?

and the Interstate Highway system is not a burden?

and indigent care is not a burden?

and fortifying our border with Canada (man, that one is sad) is not a burden?

Excuse me, that is why we pay taxes. Everybody and everything is a burden. Most, as in the large majority of riders, do have medical insurance because WE HAVE JOBS because motorcycling is not a cheap sport. I was a statistical programmer in the insurance industry for too long to buy into the social burden theory. We had another word for statistics - lies.
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 08:48 AM   #36
tumbler
Founding Member

Default Re: Tumbler

I get tired of hearing people like you who came seem to grasp the idea that a country has to have laws and regulations. Period, there is no way around. You are making a generalization about my belief based on my ideas on a helmet law. If you really think wearing or not wearing a helmet, or law that makes a select few riders have to for awhile, is larger view of expressing freedom read some history. The colonists fought and didn't for freedom of religion and speech, essentially (yes I know there were more, but those were the two main ones). Okay no smart ass retort, all seriousness, where do you draw the line, no speed limits, no limits on the amount of alcohol you can drink before you drive. You really think that I should be able to ride 100mph on one wheel through a school zone. Yes these are extreme examples, but not near as much as your's previously stated. And I'm not emotional about this as you and others have pointed, I'm pointing out consequences of someone not wearing a helmet, because some of you don't seem see how this legislation affects the public in general, which is what the government has to, only ahout how it affects you or a small minority like you. I say this without any personal attack, but to me that seems to be a narrow view a freedom.
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 08:50 AM   #37
bigjames
Premium Member

member # 617641, renewed the other day, awaitiing new membership card
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 08:56 AM   #38
ValknMag
Founding Member

Drinking and driving can kill people besides the rider. Speeding through school zones can kill someone besides the rider. Laws should exist to protect people from one another. I object to laws to protect me from myself. We agree that I should not drink ten ounces of Jim Beam and get in my car and drive around, right? Now, should I be allowed to drink that Beam in my own house? How about 20 ounces? 40? Eventually, I get to a point where I become sick from alcohol poisoning. Is the answer to create Government Alcohol centers, where I am given a safe portion of booze and forced to consume it there (so I can't stockpile it)? Or, should I assume the risk associated with alcohol?
ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 08:57 AM   #39
kawazuki
Founding Member

I do complain about that. In fact, I have a nice bright yellow sticker with black lettering (which shows up well against the flat black paint) on the rear fender of my motorcycle which says "I miss freedom."

Ok, I guess I don't really have a point. I just wanted to talk about my sticker.

-Kawazuki
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:02 AM   #40
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

With all due respect, speed limits and school zones and drinking laws are for protecting others. My not wearing a helmet isn't going to hurt anyone but ME if I have a problem. If I speed or get drunk and drive, I could easily kill or maim someone else. These laws are necessary from stopping someone from killing others. Helmet laws are a "for your own good" type that does not fit with the other examples you gave. There are seat belt laws and others that fit into the same type of catagory, but none are as intrusive as a helmet law. The same government that is so hell bent on saving lives also sponsors abortions. It's called live and let live.