Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-18-2003, 09:37 PM   #111
tumbler
Founding Member

Default Totally off subject

Is anyone going to mid-Ohio for the races in July? I'm leaving all of my riding buddies and fellow motorcyle afficionadoes, helmeted and unhelmeted, in TX and looking for new ones in the midwest area. You can't miss my bike, it's the '01 YZF 600r painted bright red with a hammer and sickle on the side. J/K about the paint job, but serious about find other riders regardless of politcal stances and type of motorcycle you may ride.
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2003, 12:38 AM   #112
philipj
Founding Member

Default Re: PA Helmet Law Changing

I agree that more riders not wearing helmets would equal an increase in injuries.

I agree with you that the increase in claims would lead to higher insurance costs.

Always wear a helmet, first and foremost to protect your head. More riders with protected heads mean less injuries. Reduction of injuries results in lower insurance costs.

Never, but never support the government's extortionist arguments for passing helmet laws. It is the business of NOBODY but myself whether I choose to wear one or not. Beware of laws passed by government that force you to comply 'for your own protection'. It is not the government's business to remove my freedom, it's to guard it. I think it is very stupid to ride without wearing a helmet. However, I would fight to the death for a person's right to do so if they choose.
philipj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 03:01 AM   #113
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Use your head

"Put your brain bucket on and be glad you'll live to ride again."

You mean everyone tht waers a helmet lives again? Tell that to those many I picked up dead with their helmet on would you?

"And why don't you anti-helmet folks concentrate on bigger problems? Try looking at the growing trend of insurance companies that don't cover motorcyclists (or rock climbers, ATV riders or water skiiers) because it's a "high-risk" activity. That should make your blood boil, should you take time from your whining about helmet laws and see that your rights really are being trampled."

The only coverage I have ever seen denied is for sportbikes. Should I be worried about that or just ride a cruiser?

Old 06-19-2003, 03:06 AM   #114
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default The Law After KPauls Law

All Motorcycle riding optional.

Insurance companies are exempt from paying for injuries for riders.

Individuals who cause injury to a rider are only financially responsible for injuries that would have been sustained if he had been in a car.

If you aren't willing pay the cost of freedom then get in a car. Otherwise pay for your own medical care for your stupid decision to ride a motorcycle.

See how stupid you are KPaul?? Be careful what you wish for.

KPaul chides: "If don't wear a full face helmet your are an idiot."

As for the last one, you are certainly an idiot with one. Since it didn't help you, why should I wear one? Are you an example of a genius? I'll go without thanks.

Old 06-19-2003, 03:07 AM   #115
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Freedom has a price.

"Riding/Driving is legally a privilege not a right"

Bullshyt.

"As they say freedom has a price."

How about your freedom to ride a motorcycle, which causes more injuries and deaths than cars no matter how much protection. What should be the price for that?
Old 06-19-2003, 03:11 AM   #116
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

So if the motorcyclist was tapped and broke his arm or back it wouldn't be her fault? I mean if he was in a car he would be fine right? Maybe your thinking process indicates Darwinism. Anyone that could logically come up with the hitter being the victim hopefully won't procreate anytime soon.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:47 AM   #117
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"...and I'm also the greatest player in the history of football. That aside, the .1% of the time I have not worn a helmet has been off of public roads at speeds generally under 10 mph. Your welcome."

Sorry, but going without a helmet is WRONG. You can get killed or maimed at 1 mph I just found out form the posters here. What if somebodys mom hits YOU at a light and you crack your head open? Am I to be responsible for YOUR rehab? 100% is what we expect and nothing less. If you EVER go without a helmet again I will tell the authorities that you have been sleeping with White women again and transporting them across state lines!
Old 06-19-2003, 03:48 AM   #118
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

How'd you miss the cut?
Old 06-19-2003, 04:21 AM   #119
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Re: Wow! A sane reply!

Of the three most resent replies to my question yours is the only one not spewing bile my way. Thank you for that, 02TriBonnie!

You make a good point about the possible passing on of costs to others. Take for example the great state of Florida. While job hunting a few years ago I was offered a position there so I checked on the costs of living. I had a car at the time so I only have numbers for a new, Â’94 sport coupe. The BEST rate I could find was $4,000 per year. ThatÂ’s with a clean driving record! I asked why the rates were so outrageous and was told point blank that it was due to the large retired community. The guy I was going to replace was driving an Â’84 Aries K and he paid $2,000/yr for liability only and that was required by law. It was more than the car was worth but he couldnÂ’t afford to buy a new one because of the high insurance costs.

I think the difference with motorcycles however is that we are still a very small percentage of the motoring public. The insurance lobby would have us believe theyÂ’d go broke from all the vegÂ’d out head injuries that would result from all the riders who would go lidless if they werenÂ’t forced by law to wear one. I donÂ’t believe that would happen even though they have implemented a pretty good strategy to make the non riding as well as a few riders believe "everyone will pay".

This strategy makes those who choose to go without a helmet into outcasts among their piers as well as the non riding public. That is unfair as the idea is based on lies and greed.

I could go into other issues but they have been covered more eloquently by others. The only other point I want to make is that in choice states (I live in Oklahoma) many riders still choose to wear a helmet. I am one of those that do. My wife has a sticker on her full face Quantum F that says, "My helmet – My choice".

TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 04:31 AM   #120
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: The Law After KPauls Law

The question really is:

If KP fell and bumped his head without a helmet, would we know the difference?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote