Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-16-2003, 07:31 AM   #1
Kildagin
Registered Member

Default Re: Best all around/tourer for the money?

Yikes. Been lurking at this site for years now, and this is the first time I have been compelled to post. Are we purposely looking for discussions to get people all riled up about the sv650 now? Doent it happen enough on its own?

Oh yeah...first post.
Kildagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2003, 07:40 AM   #2
The_People
Founding Member

Doesn't matter what the intended use will be, as there really are only three bikes to consider:

Suzuki SV650

Honda VFR (any year, all are perfect)

Kawasaki Concours

Anything else is overkill, too expensive, more power than anyone needs, blah blah blah.

-The People
Old 06-16-2003, 07:40 AM   #3
BobW
Founding Member

To respond, I think this is my 2nd post on this Board, and yes I am aware of the SV650. I amend the question: Any other bikes that might fill the bill, other than the SV650? Thanks.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 07:43 AM   #4
nitrofly
Founding Member

Futura...DoH!
Old 06-16-2003, 07:58 AM   #5
Lowrez
Founding Member

I have an SV650 ('99 the only good year for blue) and it is not good for light touring. Of course, it matters what you mean by light.</p>

In my world, a light touring bike should be capable of taking the wife, a weekend's worth of clothes, a compliment of female beauty products, and a bottle of wine down to visit the in-laws. The SV just doesn't do this well. The problem is that luggage options are limited and the extra weight is very noticable.</p>

I think something that integrates hard saddle bags and a tail bag well would do the job much better. I've tried soft saddle bags, but they tend to interfere with the passenger.</p>

Better weather protection would be nice, but that doesn't seem to come into its own until you get to those long distance tourers like the BMW RT, ST1[13]00, FJR, and the ilk.</p>
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 07:59 AM   #6
Lowrez
Founding Member

Is this really a good tourer? It looks sweet and apparently has the goods to make it go, but does it hold up well against heavy usage? If you put 10-15K on it per year, how much time will it spend in the shop? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 06-16-2003, 08:01 AM   #7
Lowrez
Founding Member

There really should be a cruiser added to this list. There has to be an annoyingly over recommended cruiser out there.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:01 AM   #8
Kildagin
Registered Member

Not sure what you are looking for for power, but the Ninja 500 was comfy enough for me to do an 1100 mile weekend on one, has decent power and handles great. They are easily had for cheap too. The problem down on power though if you are a bigger person, or just plain power hungry.

Kildagin
Kildagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 08:03 AM   #9
Hawkster
Founding Member

I've heard (read?) that the YZF-600R (not the super-sporty R6) makes a pretty good sport-tourer with an emphasis on "sport". It won the class shootout in 1997:

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/top600s.html

Brand-spankin'-new for $6999.00 (maybe less... they probably don't fly off the dealers' floors) or get a used deal somewhere. Add a different windscreen for more protection and soft luggage and you're set!

Someone else mentioned a VFR... also a good choice for what you seem to want... according to this website

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompa.../01vfr6r.motml

Of course, while you're reading, you'll learn that the Kawi ZX-6R did pretty well, too.

Happy shopping!

Hawkster
Old 06-16-2003, 08:05 AM   #10
BobW
Founding Member

Thanks. Thats the real world info I'm looking for. They all look good on paper, don't they? BTW, I'm doing a mild street motard (oxymoron?) on my DR 650. It goes down the road nice, but catches whatever wind is out there.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote