Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-18-2003, 02:50 AM   #71
motonut_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Best all around/tourer for the money?

Wait, it just dawned on me. Could Triumph really have been copying the Futura when they styled the Daytona 600 (motor notwithstanding)?
motonut_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2003, 04:05 AM   #72
3b
Founding Member

A Triumph Trophy 900. You can get one for about $6000 in really good used condition with color matched side bags. Then add a aftermarket fairing to size and taste and you have a bike that is a good all weather bike much lighter than a BMW, smoother than a Concours and a heck of a lot more fun than the big lux-o-tourers.

For commuting ona budget withan ocasional short tour consider the Triumph 600TT. Good fairing, more roomy than the other 600s nearly 50 MPG if you don't flog it. Bets of all you can get a new one for under $6500 with a 2 year warrenty.
3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 04:07 AM   #73
SmokeU
Registered Member

We don't have the Diversion in the States
Old 06-18-2003, 08:59 AM   #74
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: And then you can ditch it for a Beemer!

Must have been early onset alzhiemers. I got it from drinking too much beer out of aluminum cans. I still can't believe I bought that barge in the first place. So far I've put 900 miles on my Triumph in a week. I can't seem to stay off it, Strange huh?
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:25 AM   #75
ferb
Founding Member

Default Does everything well

Yeah, it's expensive, but the BMW R1100S does everything really,really well. It's my M-F commute machine (including lane splitting here in SoCal), my occasional sporty-ride machine, handles a pillion just fine (with a rear spring preload knob that can be reached from the riding position) and hard bags for weekend adventures. Very comfortable (probably could be made more so with an aftermarket seat), decent amount of upgrades available, OEM and otherwise (I just put in a K&N air filter which gave it a much better throttle response), you get legendary BMW quality and it's got looks that kill.

ferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 01:44 PM   #76
jda1184
Founding Member

Bob if you can find the bike you're looking for let me know 'cause I think I'm looking for the same type of bike you are. I'd like to hear more about the Yamaha YZF600R or the Kawasaki ZZR600 if anyone out there owns one or has ridden one a long distance. These bikes seem to be a good balance between comfort and speed and at very reasonable prices. It seems like they're popular in Europe. If anyone out there knows about these I think they could help both me and Bob out a great deal.
jda1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 04:45 PM   #77
stromman
Founding Member

Best all around for your money,good question,I asked myself the same several years ago.Bought a Concours,too heavy,needs to be reved to move fast,too hot on summer days.Bought a Triumph Tiger,pretty nice except suspension,brakes bla bla bla.Bought a Moto Guzzi to see if I was a cruiser guy,interesting bike,I'm not a cruiser guy.Saw the advertisement of the V-Strom,waited,paid money,couldn't have made a better decsion.Fairly light,excellent power,great handling and brakes.A larger windscreen took care of winter touring($75).Five hundred mile days no problem,90 mph is five grand on the tach so vibration is no problem.If I were to do it again I wouldn't hesitate for a minute,did I mention that this is probably one of the best twoup machines anywhere
stromman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 07:14 PM   #78
seruzawa
The Toad

Tell them where they can find a nice used one!
Old 06-19-2003, 06:33 AM   #79
lcarlson
Founding Member

Default Re: Best all around/tourer for the money? The Answer:

BMW R1100/1150R. Good for 200,000+ miles . Brand new R1150R for 10 grand flat (w/o ABS). Slap on touring windshield and hard bags, and you're set to cross the country in style and comfort.
lcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 06:43 AM   #80
Cherii
Founding Member

Default re: Gold Wing - no way

My wife & I rented a GL1800 in Salt Lake City and rode it up to Yellowstone last summer. Neither of us would do it again. The straight vertical riding position killed my back and my wife got way too much wind leaning back against the seat. We both like the Bandit 1200S I had or the VFR800 I have better. We also like the Givi luggage better than the non-detachable, funny shaped luggage on the 'Wing.
Cherii is offline   Reply With Quote