Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-17-2003, 03:27 PM   #61
shaneking
Founding Member

Default Re: Best all around/tourer for the money?

The Bandit is a great choice. I've got 10,000 miles on my '02 and with the exception of the mediocre gas mileage (35 city, 42 highway) haven't had any complaints. The Ventura system really does work as advertised and with some soft saddlebags my wife and I can carry camping gear and ride comfortably. Lots of hp and torque, good windscreen and a bargain. If you don't need to have an 'it' bike, it is everything that you are looking for.
shaneking is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2003, 03:51 PM   #62
Vlad
Registered Member

The bandit 1200 S is a good choice, especially at the price. The SV 650 is a little small for an all purpose bike, though it is also an excellent machine and should be considered. The SV1000 (either way) is another good one, as is the standard Tuono.

However, the Yamaha YZF600R would be my choice for one up. Local dealers are letting them out the door for about $6,600 here (Atlanta). For two up, longevity, finish, blah, blah, the VFR is the bike of choice.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 04:19 PM   #63
wilmilan
Founding Member

Take a look at the Kawasaki ZR-7S. Excellent handling and braking (adjustable suspension, twin-pot Tokicos with floating rotors, etc.); comfy ergos with very good wind protection; a bulletproof air/oil-cooled engine that while not as quick as the quickest sportbikes can still pull down 12-second quarters while also providing silky-smooth cruising. It also has all the nice touches and features one would want on a bike that one will live with and travel on: Bungee rails with multiple hooks, center stand, power take-off connection (good for up to 15 amps), multi-reflector headlight, even a gas gauge. It also comes with all the attachment points pre-drilled and ready for the available racks and hard luggage. All in all it's a very practical and capable sport tourer and/or everyday bike that can do it all and do it without costing a fortune. For $6k it's a screamer of a deal.

After looking at a bunch of other bikes to replace my aging BMW K-bike (K75S), I was surprised to find myself thinking that the bike I enjoyed most was the ZR-7S, which cost a lot less than I was prepared to spend. It just didn't seem expensive enough, but I suppose that while the ZR-7 chassis is fairly new (first sold 3 or 4 years ago, I think), the simple design and long-amortized engine design allows them to sell this bike with all the nice features for an amazingly low price. In any case, I've been very happy with mine -- sounds odd, but I don't miss the Beemer in the least; the ZR-7 is just a better, more enjoyable bike all around.

Old 06-17-2003, 05:26 PM   #64
rider_md
Founding Member

Honda '02-'03 VFR800 ABS w/ Hard Bags

I have one. It does everything VERY well. Handling is superb, gas tank is big, it looks the part, its light compared to the other sport/touring tanks, wind protection is decent (can get bigger windscreen if want).

Hard bags are a must. The OEMs have TONS of space and do NOT look like an afterthought... they look as if they came standard w/ bike.

Perfect commuter, a bit on the $$ side (but you get what you pay for here), an excellent back-roads bike, and good (not GREAT) long distance tourer. (great = the tanks i referred to... k1200gt, FJR, concourse...etc.)

If price is your NUMBER ONE issue, get a connie. that bike is ONE HELLUVA TOURER FOR THE PRICE. My buddy just bought one, it is an INCREDIBLE value.
rider_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 06:41 PM   #65
obandoj
Founding Member

You obviously don't know jack#$%$, I have seen them with 75.000 miles and going strong.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 06:42 PM   #66
BobW
Founding Member

Looking at a 2000 Connie later this week. Maybe will bite.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 06:47 PM   #67
BobW
Founding Member

Yea, the Killer has a lot of aftermarket stuff, way more than my DR 650. But I already have the Suzie. Great bike, by the way. Just don't want to tour on it.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 06:51 PM   #68
Betamax
Founding Member

Default don't buy a new VFR...

They're nice bikes but some people have found the '02 - '03 models to have buggy FI problems.

I haven't read about this problem in any reviews, but I read about it on a VFR forum site.

Doesn't happen to everyone, but the new VFRs are not cheap so it's an expensive gamble.

Pick up a '98 - '01 VFR instead...you'll save money and be a happy man.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 07:55 PM   #69
GiulioA
Founding Member

Default Re: Bandit, VFR, KLR, or perhaps the new Adventure...

Bandit 1200S is a decent sport tourer and gets my vote here 'cause you get a lotta cluck for your buck.

Screw adjustable valves, center stand, a big ass seat & good performancel all for a reasonable price.

Picked mine up on a Friday, (traded in a 99 Triumph Tiger after expiriencing too many failures) in So Cal. & headed north to Washington state on saturday with 50 miles on the odo.

No time for easy break in, and never looked back.

Never even had to adjust the chain, but I drilled the plugs out to get access to the idle mixure screws 3.5 turns out has eliminated the lean surge ,

A Givi wind screen and top box are added now so Im headed to Laguna Seca in July.

GiulioA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 01:26 AM   #70
justinleong
Founding Member

How about a Diversion 900? Similar in outlook to the Bandit 1200S but definately the budget type being oil cooled n shaft driven.

Also mine comes installed with original Yammy's Diversion side panniers which is good enuf for touring or a trip down to the supermart. A bike that does well in all aspect given its price.
justinleong is offline   Reply With Quote