Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-16-2003, 08:03 PM   #41
MrBear44
Registered Member

Default Re: Best all around/tourer for the money?

I have a Triumph Sprint RS, and for me it’s almost perfect. I wanted something that had the comfort to spend the entire day on, but would be fun to ride on twisty roads. I was actually going to buy a Sprint ST with hard bags when a practically new Sprint RS was posted on eBay. It holds 5.5 gallons of gas, and will go around 240 miles before reserve in touring mode. If you flog the crap out of it, you’ll still get to around 180 – 190 miles on a tank. I added a center stand, power plug, and the ST bars (all standard on the ST). I’m living without the hard bags, because they don’t fit the RS. I prefer the half fairing, and the wind protection is fine, although some will want more.

Complaints – the transmission is really notchy, and must be shifted with serious authority. You get used to it. It’s also not the greatest front end over really bumpy bits.

Having said that, IÂ’m extremely pleased. I bought this thing practically brand new (600 miles) for under $7000 (I've seen new ones cheaper in the LA area in the last year). I havenÂ’t had a bit of trouble with it. The longest day in the saddle so far was 14 hours, with a couple of meal breaks and gas stops. No worries mate; no worries at all.

MrBear44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2003, 08:09 PM   #42
nitrofly
Founding Member

12k on the clock...but no problems. Fantastically comfortable for touring, great luggage, good protection...yet handling qualities allow for maximum smile factor and warp speed 7 canyon carving. Excellent midrange motor. Fun and comfortable with crazy styling...not forgetting the wikidly cool indigo dash lighting after dark!

good place for futura info:

http://pub165.ezboard.com/fapriliaforumfrm15

Old 06-16-2003, 08:36 PM   #43
sarnali
Founding Member

Get a 1200S Bandit, you can find them new OTD for around $7500, put a set of Givi hard bags and any number of taller windshield and you've got the perfect all-rounder. I put 25k miles on mine without a single problem. And you can do the maintainance on it yourself because it's got screw and locknut valve adjusters, Trouble is they never need adjusting.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 12:33 AM   #44
rhust
Founding Member

FJ1200. Find one in good condition w/ or w/o abs for less than $3500. Torque, comfort, speed, carries a pillion w/o a thought. A bit on the heavy side, but it makes it stable in adverse weather so it's a trade-off. Great for the money. If ya want new, then there's pleanty of great options in the 5500-8000 range:

SV650s

Kawa 600

Bandit 600s

Kawa ZR-7s
rhust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 02:10 AM   #45
cstewart77
Registered Member

Not sure if you are looking for new or used:

Used: CBR1000, FJ1200, VFR 750 or 800

New: Bandit 1200S, FJR1300, YZF 600 (not R6), VStrom, VFR.

Let us know how you make out!

Chris
cstewart77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 03:07 AM   #46
JALacroix
Founding Member

I definitely think that some people are overlooking the '97-present YZF600R 'Thundercat'. It is a very comfortable sportbike, features a seat good for even two-up sport-touring and performance-wise has it all over most of the other bikes being mentioned (SV650, ZX6, B6S, ZR7, any Katana).
JALacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 04:55 AM   #47
mjs
Founding Member

amen to that

i had a 99 600r and was totally impressed with it

one of the best suspended, most comfortable riding bikes that i have ever ridden (i traded it in on a goldwing )

the only thing that i did not like about it was the high insurance cost
mjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 05:46 AM   #48
SteadyRoller
Founding Member

Default GSXR 1000

Anything less if a waste of time... unless you're a sissy.

SR
SteadyRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 05:57 AM   #49
Cherii
Founding Member

If you rev it harder for a while the shifting becomes easier. Take it up over 7k about a dozen times in each gear (5th & 6th will be fun) and it'll shift like butter from then on. Triumph transmissions take some work to break in, but they're rock solid. FWIW, I once did 1,101 miles in 19.5 hours on my Sprint ST. Loved it!
Cherii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 06:03 AM   #50
Cherii
Founding Member

I bought my 2002 brand new last spring for under $6,900 out-the-door. A Givi WingRack and bags was about $600 delivered to my door, plus a pair of RKA tank bags (different sizes for commuting and touring) for $350. Total investment under $8k. Phenomenal bike for that kind of money! I took it from Texas to Colorado, Arizona, and Utah before having to sell it due to unanticipated monetary difficulties (AKA a stupid mortgage company's mistake).
Cherii is offline   Reply With Quote