Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-16-2003, 12:38 PM   #31
zxr250cc
Founding Member

Default Re: Best all around/tourer for the money?

I lived in Japan and traveled all over the main island on a Kawasaki ZZR-400 bike. The US model is the ZX-6 D, or E, etc.. (not the R version) and it is an excellent daily runner with power to spare. It has a good fairing for running in the rain, gets 50 or more mpg ON REGULAR GAS, will easily carry two and has enough 'legs' to go as fast as reason will take you. (155 mph top end in Brit mag test.) I used 400 as a daily commuter in Tokyo for three years and it did that job very well. I used three sets of tires, two chains and racked up 28,000 km in the three years I drove it. It was as reliable as an appliance. It always started, always ran great and was fun and stable to ride in the twisty stuff.

I have a 2002 ZX-6 now and it is great fun. I would also recommend a Suzuki Katana 600 or 750, YZF-600 Yamaha, a used RF-900 Suzuki, VFR Honda or an SV-650 with a fairing. I have toured with and without a fairing and went across the western US from Missouri up to Seattle on an open 750 cc Triumph Bonneville in '79. A fairing is a god send for rain or windy days. It is MUCH more comfortable traveling with a fairing. An old BMW from the 80's or early 90's would be a good choice also.

Cheers
zxr250cc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2003, 12:56 PM   #32
BobW
Founding Member

Default Re: Mild Street Motard

Nothing too fancy yet - Dunlop 604's (stock wheels so far), gel seat, lowered, jetted, etc. No fork or suspension mods; maybe later.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 01:16 PM   #33
seruzawa
The Toad

You are an evil evil man.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:18 PM   #34
seruzawa
The Toad

You can't refer to noted director Alfred Hitch***** either.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:16 PM   #35
Van
Founding Member

Okay, if it's touring in December in Michigan we're talking about, and we're talking about doing it with naked bikes.....

Punt!

Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 02:21 PM   #36
Van
Founding Member

Cutting down the size of the stock DL windshield, or removing it entirely, also does the trick.

The Laminar Lip I had on my ST1300ABS worked incredibly well. Too well, as a matter of fact, as I wanted more air on my head!

On the V-Strom, however, it'd probably be just about right.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 03:49 PM   #37
Huff955
Founding Member

I'm prejudiced too, but 200 miles a week? I commuted on my Speed Triple 90 miles a day!!

Speed Triple good points: Motor, noise, looks..

handling, youll have the only one on the road that day..

Bad points: wind protection, seat, cops seem to like mine Look at Joe Rocket's web page, the soft saddle bags are on a Speed Triple..people sell them for dirt cheap on cycletrader.com..and insurance is good cause no one rides them..and no plastic to break
Huff955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 05:45 PM   #38
Medusa
Registered Member

GL1800 Gold Wing - At any price.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 05:49 PM   #39
BobW
Founding Member

Default Postscript

Thanks to all for your comments. My first motorized two wheeler was a home built scooter with a horse & a half Briggs horizontal shaft engine, rope start and a V belt slip clutch. Graduated to a used Honda 160 Scrambler in 1967, when my brother got his X-6 Hustler. Rode that bike everywhere. Guess I should be satisfied with any of these newer models.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 08:14 PM   #40
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

It needed to be said!
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote