Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-16-2003, 08:57 AM   #21
dominatr37
Founding Member

Default Re: Best all around/tourer for the money?

My '98 YZF600R now approaches 50,000 miles (About 48,000 actually on the clock.) The bike is great. 650 mile days in the saddle have been a non-issue. It's a GREAT value . I can't say enough good things about it. I still love mine as much now as when I bought it.
dominatr37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2003, 09:06 AM   #22
VMan_1
Founding Member

So far, so good. My Futura shows 18K on the clock and runs smoother then when new. No oil consumption at all within 3k changes. Never left me yet! Only service has included fluid changes, tires, and chain (I have also changed the exhaust and derestricted). Has not yet needed valve adjustment and battery is getting soft. Great sporty bike for comfortable long trips and excellent hard luggage.
VMan_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 09:19 AM   #23
Lowrez
Founding Member

This is where personal opinion starts to really come in.

The wife and I weigh in at a combined 300 lbs. and the difference between riding with and without her on the SV is night and day. I don't mind her on the back for quick little day scoots, but longer trips begin to wear on me. Having her on the back of the R1150RT, well, that's like riding the bike solo. Her added weight is barely noticable.

I also put a little windshield on the SV (first the Zook flyscreen then a Givi A603) and while it makes it easier to handle highway blast, it isn't what I'd call weather protection. At least not the kind of weather protection I want during December in Michigan.

As for the hard luggage, I haven't tried that and I never will. I just don't like the way the SV looks after those changes and being the vain bastard that I am, I won't ride a bike that isn't pleasing to my eye.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 09:57 AM   #24
Cherii
Founding Member

Default Bandit, VFR, KLR, or perhaps the new Adventure...

Yes, a Bandit S can be the answer. I had a 2002 Bandit 1200S with Givi luggage and RKA tank bag that I took on multi-state tours in addition to commuting. Excellent all-round bike for the money. Sadly, I had to sell it earlier this year. I also toured on an SV650S with soft luggage, and that was good but lightweight bikes and wind tire you out quickly. The perfect sport tourer is, I think, the fifth generation Honda VFR ('98 - '01 VFR800) with Givi luggage and a suitable tank bag. If your definition of "all around" includes a bit of off-road and you're not into high horsepower, a Kawasaki KLR650 has carried many people far and wide. For more money you can get more performance on the new KTM Adventure 950, but I don't have any personal experience with that machine.</p>

If you're into British, Triumph makes excellent machines today, I rode a Sprint ST on a SaddleSore 1000 (see www.ironbutt.com). The Sprint RS and Trophy are also very good. Triumphs tend more to the expensive side than most Japanese bikes, though, and dealers are more sparse. Any motorcycle dealer can fix most basic issues, though, regardless of brand (tires, chain, bearings).</p>
Cherii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 10:25 AM   #25
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

FZ-1 is a good option, depending on how mych touring you will be doing. A tall windshield and a set of foam grips will take care of the buzziness and wind protection noted by a couple of people above (I didn't notice them on the one that I rode, but it was a short ride).

You'll have more than enough power, and it handles great.

FJR1300 could also be a good option. Heavy depends on your point of view- it's at least 50 pounds lighter than the others mentioned in your question, and it's a shaftie, it's got bags, an adjustable windshield, it's pretty comfortable (even for a passenger), and it's got more power than the others in the range you're actually going to use it.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:52 AM   #26
BobW
Founding Member

Thanks. Motorcyle Daily put a laminar lip on their V-Strom to solve the buffeting problem.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 11:15 AM   #27
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Mild Street Motard

Guess it depends on your definition of "mild!"

I have been tempted to do exactly the same -- let us know what you think when it is done. I have been debating between the DRZ450 and the DR650.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 11:23 AM   #28
KZ6
Founding Member

I ride a 1980 KZ1300 six cylinder......... but to answer you query----- any 600 class say from 97 forward will do, the VFR is always excellent and the SV650 too. If you are a new rider why not go used and less size then trade up.

Good luck.
KZ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 11:23 AM   #29
ratrider955
Registered Member

I'm prejudiced, but my answer is the Triumph Sprint ST. I cummute on mine( about 200 mi. per week), is plenty sporty for the weekends, and with luggage, can do 700 mile days comfortably. Mine is a 99 model with almost 50,000 miles on the clock, runs great, is stone reliable, and gets around 43 mpg. You can pick up a used one reasonably, and the insurance industry has very leniant rates on it. Food for thought.
ratrider955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 11:30 AM   #30
BBG3K
Founding Member

Definitely a subjective issue. Used probably is the best option, and anything can be made to work, but I'd go for a used GS. Did the Yukon and Alaska a year ago 2 up and my wife says it was the best trip we have ever taken. So it will be highly dependent on what you value most, and you will compromise on the rest.

I would agree that asking an SV650 to do all of this is stretching it on the 2 up touring end, but if that is only a small portion of the riding, it might be the best choice.
BBG3K is offline   Reply With Quote