Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 05-26-2003, 05:10 AM   #1
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Legend or Honda Magna?

Hey, welcome back Longride. I can not wait for the full field test of the sneaky leaker.

As far as the bikes go, my experience with the new Triumphs have not been good, so I would go with the Honda. But there is something to be said for being unique, so go with the Triumph.

Sorry not much help, just by the one ya like they both will be fun.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2003, 05:37 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

I don't know about the reliability of the Triumph.

I do know that Magnas are maintenance nightmares. They used to have serious reliability issues with the trannies and valve gear, bit I think that's all been addressed and fixed. It is undoubtedly the most difficult bike to work on I've ever come across. So if you do your own maintenance beware. If you pay someone else to do it then have at it.
Old 05-26-2003, 05:57 AM   #3
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Go with the Triumph. That triple is the best. I test drove the Adventurer at a demo ride last year (may have been two years ago) and I couldn't believe how strong a bike it was. It is almost identical to the Legend. Nice power. Light and nimble handling with great ergonomics for those 30 mi. commutes w/twisties or the weekend trip.

Have you looked at the newly reissued Thunderbird Sport? With better brakes and better power itÂ’s a bike that will have you taking a lot of Mondays off because a two day weekend just won't be enough. I just wish I could get another bike. The T-Bird Sport would be it.

TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 06:08 AM   #4
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

One more note: Honda dealers are everywhere (outnumbered only by H-D) and HRCA membership has its privileges but the Triumph dealers are committed to customer service and keeping you happy.

They have the attitude of building a network of services for the rider that goes beyond just selling you a bike and performing routine maintenance. IÂ’ve stopped at Triumph dealerships around the country on my Road King just because the folks are so damn nice as well as helpful.

If you have a Triumph dealer close to you, go check 'em out. I think you'll see what I meen.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 06:27 AM   #5
obandoj
Founding Member

You must be talking about the magnas from the 80's. They were a nightmare, however the new ones are a different bike all around.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 06:32 AM   #6
obandoj
Founding Member

Go with the Magna, you will save some money and reliability problems, and that V-4 sure is a sweet motor, even without the gear driven cams of the pre-variable cam timing of the new ones.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 07:48 AM   #7
JLWarrior
Registered Member

I used to have a 96 Speed Triple, put 13k on it with no problems. I was giving serious thought to getting a Tbird Sport, but then I saw the Yamaha Warrior, and that was that.

But I recomend the Triumph. The triples are great motors, and sound awesome with a set of pipes. Triumphs are good bikes.
JLWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 08:38 AM   #8
acecycleins
Founding Member

My first suggestion is buy used. Even if you buy from a dealer, you will come out better from a depreciation stand-point. If you find a couple bikes in your area that you can test drive look for bikes with high and low miles. Just listen to the bike. Even if you've been out of the saddle for a while I'm sure you can tell by sound if a bike isn't right.

Since you want opinions, I would choose the Legend. The Magna is a fine bike with more power than any bike around it's class. But why look like a sheep. I've owned several Triumphs and have never experienced a more unique bike. I rode a Magna the better part of the summer of '98 when working for a dealer and had a blast on it, but the Legend will not let you down. I am a rather large guy and I was much more comfortable the T-bird and the Sport. You really picked two fine models and as a m/c insurance agent, you're the type of customer an agent wants. But as I say to all the kids that want a GSXR "Don't be like sheep. Own something that makes others think 'Cool bike', right?"
Old 05-26-2003, 08:38 AM   #9
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Neither...

Both have cruiser-style handling (limited ground-clearance and it takes effort to steer).

For a 30 mile commute, get a modern standard or faired standard. An SV650 with an aftermarket windscreen would be a great choice.

Or pick up a used VFR.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 09:04 AM   #10
Triumphil
Founding Member

I owened a 2000 Legend. I relly liked it. It will eat up the twisties with aplumb. The torque from the tripple is a point and twist operation. the exhaust note is addictive. The handling is great. It has a 62" wheel base with a 27 degree rake that adds up to stable on the highway and fun in the corners. They have had zero reliablity issues. when the triples were on the road for a couple of years they bought back a Legend from a delivery company with a lot (cant remeber the exact number) miles broke it down and it still looked like new.The ownly reason i sold mine was to get a Bonnie. cheers Triumphil
Triumphil is offline   Reply With Quote