Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 05-26-2003, 08:22 PM   #31
cycleguy26
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Legend or Honda Magna?

gotta brunette. I DO know

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2003, 08:22 PM   #32
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: That didn't take long

I don't sv650 know what sv650 you're talking sv650 about, you must sv650 have some kind sv650 of grudge against sv650 the sv650. because the sv650 is the sv650 only true sv650 motorcycle sv650 allowed in any M/O sv650 road test.sv650
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 08:31 PM   #33
sarnali
Founding Member

Tommy Lee's sloppy seconds ? I'd say Kid Rock is hittin' the part Tommy Lee couldn't reach. What ever,,, I'd say get the Triumph and show some class, Honda's are a dime a dozen and ugly to boot. Yer basic sewing machine on wheels.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 09:31 PM   #34
zelatore
Registered Member

Default I've got one of each and...

I've got a '00 Triumph with better than 35K miles and a '95 Magna with a little under 30K miles. Both have been dead reliable, but since I got the Triumph (OK, it's a Sprint RS, not a Legend but it is a Hinkley triple) I haven't been putting many miles on the Honda.

The Magna is a great do-it-all bike. Until you start running on the freeway. At 80 mph, the wind blast will get tiring fast, and I can't bring myself to put a windscreen on it since I think they ruin the 'long and low' look the stocker has. The Magna will likely spank a Legend in a straight line, but since I've only got about 200 highway miles on other people's Legends I can't really comment on the handling of the bike.

And although some people have commented on the Magna having strong aftermarket support, I find it's rather limited compared to V-Twin cruisers.

So which would I get? Niether Legend or Magna. I'd go for the Thunderbird Sport. Better looking and better power than the Legend, and far more interesting than the Magna.

zelatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 04:57 AM   #35
rpt
Registered Member

Default Re: Neither...

yeah.

vfr's would make those daily commutes a big grinn, apart from the resale value, confort, reliability and all of the other factors that make vfr a great bike.

My personal advice would go to a '96/7 750. These are just bullet proof
rpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 04:57 AM   #36
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

A motorcycle choice is a personal thing, really. Asking advice is fine, but it really boils down to what YOU like and nobody can tell you that. If you list your priorities of what you want, that pretty much will tell you what to buy. No amount of reliability or style can make up for buying something you "settled" for instead of loved. If you don't love the thing right off the bat, chances are you won't like it very much a month from now. Try to get a test ride on each bike you consider, and make your own choice. Personally, I wouldn't buy either of the bikes you are considering, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy either one.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:14 AM   #37
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You were supposed to tell him to get an SV650.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 06:03 AM   #38
SmokeU
Registered Member

Or a Concours
Old 05-27-2003, 06:06 AM   #39
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default your priorities ...

are you buying to pose or to ride? the triumph is a superior poser; the honda a better motorcycle. ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 06:22 AM   #40
ValknMag
Founding Member

Just sold my '96 Magna (hence them name, as 71Magna said in his post) to get a CBR1100XX. Bought it new in '98, so that shaved about $1000 off the price. I usually see leftover Magnas at the dealership, so if you're buying 'new' you'll save something by going that route. Had 14,000 miles on the bike when I sold it, and would have had about twice that if it weren't for that fateful day I rode my friend's Valkyrie...So, for 3 years I split the mileage.

The Magna was dead realiable. The stock seat was uncomfortable on a 3 day/800 mile trip I took, but my 300 pounds might have had a teensy bit to do with that. Also, I'm 6'1" and felt cramped after 2 hours, so highway pegs are a great addition. I've seen the hp number for the Magna quoted at 84 ponies, which may be academic compared to the 76 quoted elsewhere, but it really scoots when you wind it out over 4500 RPM. Top gear passing at highway speeds isn't a dramatic rush of power, but dropping a gear will get you past anyone very quickly. Buy a rear wheel stand (about $80) for chain lubing. Well worth the trouble. Personally, I really liked the looks of the Magna and I'm not especially worried about what anyone else thinks. Heavy steering? Not especially. Yes, I have Popeye arms, yes, it's easier than the Valkyrie and harder than the XX, but you're not going to wear yourself out in parking lots and you're not going to have any problems with twisties. I don't know anything about the Triumph, but I can tell you you won't regret a Magna.
ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote