Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 05-26-2003, 09:22 AM   #11
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Legend or Honda Magna?

those problems were fixed in the 80's. The Magna was completely re-designed in 94 and basically it's a different bike from the ones you're talking about.

great advice, too bad it's 20 years out of date.

Don't buy a Harley, either, they're a ***** to kickstart. LOL
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2003, 09:48 AM   #12
Betamax
Founding Member

I'm not familiar with the Triumph, but I own a Magna.

The Magna is bulletproof, with a reputation for solid build quality, reliability and longevity. It's great around town or touring coast-to-coast.

The Magna does the 1/4 in 12.7 seconds. Only a few other cruisers are faster, and those don't corner as well, so the Magna will leave them behind in the twisties. But don't just take my word for it:

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/Musclebikes/

The only downsides to the Magna are a lousy stock seat (easily replaced) and a smallish gas tank that will require you start looking for a gas station after 100 miles (3.5 gallon tank * 42 ave mpg = 147 max range).

Otherwise, dollar for dollar, it's one of the best cruisers around.

Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 10:53 AM   #13
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default That didn't take long

I was waiting for the "SV650" recommendation.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 12:28 PM   #14
Mudlark
Founding Member

I am the proud owner of a very unique Triumph, the Tiger. It is a 96 model with 25,000 miles. It has an awesome motor. The triple pulls like a tractor at low speed and blasts through the rpm's with just a twist. I have mounted full knob metzlers and riden this 510# beauty in every dirt situation, including deep water and mud, and the motor has never missed,a beat while showing it's tail to many big singles. I think the Triumph Legend is a great choice and great looking machine. Nothing like sitting at a red light in Daytona Bike Week with a 100 Harleys and 1 Triumph.
Mudlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 01:05 PM   #15
jimf
Registered Member

Default Re: That didn't take long

Of course not, cheap fast and maneuverable is a nice combination in a commuter bike . There's a reason the SVs are so popular.

Just to put it in perspective, the Magna has 76hp at 505lbs dry ... enough power at that weight to roast your typical Harley. In contrast the SV has just 67hp but is carrying ~125 fewer pounds. At 7lbs to a horse the Magna is running about a 8hp disadvantage in raw power and it can't even hope to compete in the corners.

I presume the guy is interested in a cruiser style bike, so the SV is out. But if you're open to a standard, the SV is a very nice little bike.

jimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 02:45 PM   #16
tbsrider2000
Founding Member

I own a 2000 Triumph Thunderbird Sport and have put over 24,000 miles on her so far. The Magna was also on my list when I was looking a few years ago. Both are excellent choices.

The Triumph is an attention getter. I don't care where you go, ( i.e. local store, small town, Walmart, nice restaurant, etc...) people will gather round and ask all kinds of questions.. I'll be honest.. I like being able to pull up to the local biker hang out and having people check out the bike.. This will never happen on the Magna.

It is easily as reliable as the Honda. I take 7 and 8 hour rides on mine and truly enjoy it alot. Other than normal maintenance, I haven't had any problems. One bad thing.. Triumph doesn't make the Legend anymore so Legend specific accessories will start being hard to come by. Also, dealers are a little scarce.. I live in San Antonio, and the closest dealer is in Austin..

The Magna is an awesome bike, with a motor straight out of the V45 crotch rocket from years back. There are dealers on every corner, which means there are Magnas on every corner as well. I like having a bike you don't see every day, but if dealer maintenance and dealer accesories are a big deal for you than the Magna would be more in your favor.

There are plenty of accesories for the Legen though, you just have to look a little harder. If you like the slightly forward controls on the Magna, There's a kit available to put forward controls on the Legend / T-Bird.. The Legend can also be lowered with a little work. ( which looks totally awesome!! ) And any aftermarket mufflers ( a must! to hear that triple sound!) with 1 1/2" i.d. opening will slip right on the Legend..

Anyway.. hope this helps you out some.. and enjoy which ever bike you chose, even though I'm biased toward Triumph, the Magna is great looking and performing bike as well.. You'll enjoy either of them..

Dave Arnold

'00 Triumph Thunderbird Sport

San Antonio, TX

La Vernia, TX
tbsrider2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 02:51 PM   #17
71MAGNA
Founding Member

I own two BMWs and a 1996 Honda Magna (hence the name) I'll state that ALL 84,000 miles on the Magna have been great. Usual maintenance and one changed clutch have been the only mechanical expenses I've paid. I have an aftermarket seat and V&H pipes for exhaust. It's a great all-around bike regardless of type of ride you're on. A jack-of-all-trades if you wish. Sure, some clown will tell you to buy a hinkley bike but what's in a name? There is nothing special about Triumphs except the nameplate. They can NOT compare with Honda's build quality (tranny issues are mentioned but that's from the old 80-era bikes--these clowns won't tell you that). Honda dealerships abound and everyone can order parts for them.

If I needed the money and could only have one of my three bikes, it would be the Magna--regardless of Nameplate(BMW) or status. The others are a 98 R1200c and 02roadster.

71magna
71MAGNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 03:54 PM   #18
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default SV is no comparison to a Magna

I own and love my SV, but it is no way a good subsitute for a Magna. The Magna handles well enough for conservative riding and even the occasional spirited burst.

I've also noted that the luggage options for the Magna are much better than the little SV. Anything you put on the SV looks like you're turning a pony into a pack mule and an ugly one at that. The Magna, on the other hand, can take some luggage and style have style.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 04:15 PM   #19
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Grab yourself a used Magna or Virago 1100(shaft drive nice). Both are good reliable mid sized w/more muscle and standard ergos than the typical stretched current V-twins. Find yourself a good deal and you can ride 1 or 2 yrs. and resale for most or all of what you paid. By then you will have gotten more feel of whats out there.

You might want to consider taking the MSF course again. Have fun w/your new toy!!!
Old 05-26-2003, 04:16 PM   #20
cycleguy26
Founding Member

I guess I can jump on this bandwagon... It's all up to you. Niether bike would be a bad decision. Yeah, everyone knows about Honda availability and quality. That's a given. But no bike maker makes lemons these days. I own a Triumph, so count me as being biased, but I will give you the downlow. Owning a Triumph is special just because of the extra attention you receive. Either from some young guy/girl whose never heard of them, or the old-timers who remminesce. Also, Triumphs are making alot of appearances in movies, so that brings in the attention. If you want/need that ego boost, go with the Triumph. There is a serious downside as well. As stated by others, Triumph dealers; while extremely friendly, helpful, and loyal; are a little scarce. To make matters worse, taking the Triumph to a Japanese model dealer for the slightest thing: tires, chain, fuzes; is like wearing cutoff shorts to some fancy-pantsy French restaurant. They don't want your business, they just want you to leave. Don't know why. Just what I've run into.

I guess it all comes down to this- do you like Pamela Anderson before she got the boob job, with the boob job, or after she got rid of the boob job? The Triumph is her before the boob job- great with maybe slight little imperfections that make it unique. The Honda is her with the implants- everything perfect, in my opinion to the point of being bland and common. Getting the used bike is getting Tommy Lee's sloppy seconds either way. But if you're Kid Rock, I guess that doesn't matter.

So much for my two cents, wooden nickle, what the hell ever. Good luck and ride well.